(2 January 1839 - 15 August 1923)
|Father||James Henderson1,2 (Sep 1813 - Aug 1892)|
|Mother||Amelia Millar1 (Feb 1817 - Apr 1894)|
|Relationship||2nd great-aunt of Lorna Henderson|
BMDB dataMargaret Henderson was born on 2 Jan 1839 Whins of Milton, Par. of St Ninians, STI, SCT, bible says born 2nd Jan, but she might be the M H SMITH entry for 15th Dec in mother Amelia's birthday book.2,3,1,4,5 She was baptized on 2 Jan 1839 St Ninians, STI, SCT; Witnessed by the congtn, res. Whins of Milton.2
Margaret Henderson married Robert Smith, son of Robert Smith and Marion Cleghorn, on 20 Jun 1862 Forth, Par. of Carnwath, LKS, SCT, cert. shows Robert as 21 ploughman, s/o Robert SMITH, carrier, dec'd & Marion m.s. CLEGHORN; Margaret as 22 d/o James HENDERSON blacksmith & Amelia m.s. MILLAR; Both were resid. Forth, Carnwath; Forms of United Presb. Ch, George WYLLIS, Missionary; Wit: James SMITH, ?Marion? CARNWATH; Reg. 23 Jun.6
Margaret Henderson died on 15 Aug 1923 Greta St, Oamaru, OTG, NZ, at age 84; 85, apoplexy/heart failure; Nana's diaries report "Aunt Smith died".7,8,9 She was buried Blk 67 plots 10/11, Oamaru, OTG, NZ, Stone erected by dtr Margaret.10
MigrationMargaret Henderson and Robert Smith immigrated on 7 Jan 1880 "Marlborough", Port Chalmers, OTG, NZ; Reports on the arrival at Port Chalmers show the passage took 75 days, anchored at the quarantine ground because of measles on board. 6 deaths during the voyage, all children, eldest 10; 3 births;
Further online information details the deaths, including a 3 yr old Mary SMITH of measles on 24th Dec 1879 - which corroborates the family story from Margaret's niece Amelia HARBOUR nee HENDERSON that there was another in the family, an infant who died on the voyage out.11,12,13,14,15
Census/Where lived/OccupationsMargaret Henderson appeared on the census of 7 Jun 1841 Cleuch (Cleugh) Burnfoot, Forth, Par. of Carnwath, LKS, SCT, in the household of James Henderson and Amelia Henderson.4 Archibald, Margaret, David, William, Elizabeth and Amelia appeared on the census of 30 Mar 1851 in the Village, Forth, Par. of Carnwath, LKS, SCT, in the household of James and Amelia Henderson as children of James.16,17,18
The census of 1861 showed Margaret, Elizabeth, Amelia, Mary, Janet, Isabella and Agnes and their brothers James, David, William and John in the household of their parents James and Amelia Henderson in the Village of Forth, Par. of Carnwath, LKS, SCT, enumerated as HENDERSON: James 46 smith b Bridge of Allan, Stirling; wife Amelia 44 b Kippen, Stirling; Children: Margaret 22 b St Ninians, Stirling; James 20 smith, David 18 wright, William 15 smith, Elizabeth 13, Amelia 10, Mary 8, John 6 all scholars, Janet & Isabel 3, Agnes 1 all b Carnwath.19
Margaret Smith appeared on the census of 1871 Stobwood, Par. of Carnwath, LKS, SCT, with Robert Smith, enumerated as SMITH: Robert 30 Collary Pitheadman b Biggar, LKS; wife Margaret 32 b St Ninians, STI; Children: Ernestin 8 (surely this is Amelia) scholar, Robert 6, Marion 6, James 2 all b Carnwath.20 Margaret Henderson was a "qualified midwife."21
The electoral roll of 1896 records Margaret Henderson Greta St, Oamaru, OTG, NZ, 'wife.22'
Wills/bequestsHer estate was probated on 25 Aug 1923 Dunedin, OTG, NZ; Probate file includes Margaret's 1917 will, and a typed copy; Probate granted to (daughters) Williamina and Margaret Henderson SMITH, 31 Aug 1923
Affidavits on file from Margaret Henderson SMITH of Oamaru, spinster, and Williamina MARSHALL (nee SMITH) wife of William MARSHALL of Enfield nr Oamaru;
- knew Margaret SMITH when alive
- stated that Margaret died on or around 15th Aug. .. having seen her body after death
- that the Sep 1917 will was her last
- value of estate under £700
- that the deceased was born at Stirling, Scotland and was a British Subject
- Margaret Henderson Smith swore she believed she herself was born Oamaru
- Wliliamina Marshall swore she believed she herself was born at Stobwood, Scotland and had always been a British subject and was the Williamina Smith mentioned in the will, marrying William MARSHALL 27 Jul 1920.23,24
External linksClick here to see Margaret's page on WikiTree, a (free) collaborative on-line tree.25
Click here to see Margaret and family on the FamilySearch FamilyTree.26
Margaret Henderson belongs to a DNA tested line. There may be more information available on DNASurnames under the DNA project for his/her surname/line.
|Robert Smith (1840 - May 1916)|
|Charts||Ancestors & siblings of Les Henderson|
Henderson/McEwan lines represented by atDNA tests
Descendants of William McEWAN and Margaret GRAY
|Last Edited||16 Jul 2016|
- Isabella Chittock nee Howden, James Henderson and his family, Birth 1839 Margaret HENDERSON, extracted c 1972.
- Birth marriage death: St Ninians, STI, Bap. 1839 Margaret HENDERSON, extracted Sep/Oct 1994/5.
- "Birthday book Emilia HENDERSON", Day/mth extracted Apr 2004.
- 1841 Census, Carnwath, LKS, SCT, Dist 632 EnumDist 6, hsehold of James & Amelia HENDERSON, extracted Sep/Oct 1994/5.
- 1851 Census, Carnwath, LKS, SCT, EnumDist 8 Entry #38, hsehold of James & Amelia(a) HENDERSON, extracted Sep/Oct 1994/5.
- Scottish BMDB entries (from 1855), http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/index.php, Marr. 20 Jun 1862 Robert (ploughman) s/o Robert (carrier) SMITH & Marion CLEGHORN; Margaret d/o James (blacksmith) HENDERSON & Amelia MILLAR, Forth, Par. of Carnwath, LKS, 632/00 0015, copy d/loaded Apr 2014.
- Letter, Helen Sinton Henderson nee Wight (assumed) to unknown, 1931.
- "Nana's Diaries (1909-1955)", 15 Aug 1923.
- NZ births deaths marriages (index on fiche), Dth 1923 Q3 Margaret SMITH reg. Oamaru, folio #2887, searched Jan 2002.
- Oamaru Cemetery transcriptions S01.15, 488-495. , ref 1227 Block 67 plots 10,11, stone erected by dtr Margaret.
- Bruce SMITH (), "FT SMITH, Robert ex Bruce S", Rcvd via Clive CALLOW, Mar 2003.
- Interview, Elaine SANDRI nee SMITH (33256), Feb 2003+, Certified copy, dated Nov 1946, of 1944 dth cert John SMITH, rcvd Mar 2003.
- Newspaper clippings, Obit Robert SMITH found amongst possessions of Amelia HARBOUR nee HENDERSON, niece of Margaret HENDERSON, wife of Robert.
- HENDERSON: www & misc. correspondence Dth 24 Dec 1879 Mary SMITH, aged 3 yrs Measles, from an account of the Voyage of the "Marlborough", arr. 7 Jan 1880, online at http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~patricia/…, extracted Jan 2015.
- Papers Past (NZ National Library) online at http://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/, 7 Jan 1880 "Arrival of the Marlborough in quarantine" from Otago Witness , Issue 1469, 10 January 1880, Page 14, extracted Jan 2015.
- 1851 Census, Carnwath, LKS, SCT, Village, Forth, Carnwath, LKS, EnumDist 8 Entry #38, hsehold of James & Amelia(a) HENDERSON, extracted Sep/Oct 1994/5.
- Census image, SCT, 1851 Village of Forth, Carnwath, LKS 632/00 008/00 011, hsehold of James & Amelia HENDERSON, copy d/loaded Aug 2011.
- "Lorna's Family History Musings", Aug 2011.
- 1861 Census transcripts, Scotland, via Ancestry.com, Village of Forth, Par. of Carnwath, LKS, Reg 632 ED 9 Pg 8 Sched 37, hsehold of James & Amelia HENDERSON, extracted Aug 2007.
- 1871 Census transcripts, Scotland, via Ancestry.com, Stobwood, Carnwath, LKS, Reg. 632 ED 6 Sched 12, hsehld of Robert & Margaret SMITH, extracted Jul 2013.
- Earl HENDERSON/Amelia HARBOUR, "FT HENDERSON, James & Amelia (Earl)", Typed manuscript with extensive hand written additions/alterations in handwriting of Amelia HARBOUR, initialled and dated 23 Jun 1957. Original in possession of Helen SILCOCK. Extracts taken Nov 2000 by Lorna McIntosh, (Amelia Harbour's handwriting).
- 1896 Electoral Roll,.
- NZ Archives: Probate Files , Probate file 25 Aug 1923 Margaret SMITH, wid. of Robert SMITH, Oamaru, from Probate records 1923 P8563/23-P8639/23, images 104 - 117, extracted Jan 2015.
- Assorted indexes, NZ Soc. Gen. Index, Will filed 25 Aug 1923 Margaret SMITH, Oamaru, widow, Probate ref #8572, filed Dunedin, from Probate index.
- WikiTree online at http://WikiTree.com/, Oct 2011.
- FamilySearch Family Tree online at https://familysearch.org/tree/, https://familysearch.org/tree/…, Mar 2013.
- Scotland: OPR index, "Scotland, Births and Baptisms, 1564-1950", Birth 21 Jul 1862 Amelia d/o Robert SMITH & Margaret HENDERSON, Carnwath, LKS, film 6035516, extracted Jul 2016.
- Earl HENDERSON/Amelia HARBOUR, "FT HENDERSON, James & Amelia (Earl)", Typed manuscript with extensive hand written additions/alterations in handwriting of Amelia HARBOUR, initialled and dated 23 Jun 1957. Original in possession of Helen SILCOCK. Extracts taken Nov 2000 by Lorna McIntosh, Dth (abt 1880) dtr of Robert SMITH Margaret HENDERSON, at sea, (Amelia Harbour's handwriting).
E. & O. E. Some/most parish records are rather hard to read and names, places hard to interpret, particularly if you are unfamiliar with an area.