(28 November 1883 - 13 May 1962)
|Father||Robert Smith (1840 - May 1916)|
|Mother||Margaret Henderson (Jan 1839 - Aug 1923)|
|Relationship||1st cousin 2 times removed of Lorna Henderson|
BMDB dataMargaret Henderson Smith was born on 28 Nov 1883 Oamaru, OTG, NZ, Her grandmother's birthday book has an entry for 15th Dec for a Margaret Smith, but this conflicts with the 22 Oct date from the school records so the entry may or may not be this Margaret. Age given as 43 in Int. to marry, which agrees with an 1883/4 date, and is confirmed by a birth index entry for Margaret Henderson Smith, folio #4136, reg. 1883 Oamaru qtr 4.
Actual date indexed online as 27th November.5,6,7,8,9
Margaret Henderson Smith married Douglas Barrington Kent, son of Douglas Vaux Kent and Frances Charlotte Main, on 26 Jan 1927 at the Registry Office, Napier, HBY, NZ, Int. to marry entry reads: Douglas Barrington Kent, 51, barrister & solicitor, widower (11 Mar 1925) of Waipukurau for 13 yrs, married Margaret Henderson Smith, 43, nurse, of Napier for 4 wks and of Oamaru for 40 yrs, spinster, at the Registers Office Napier. Appears in the mar. index as folio #1836: Margaret Henderson Smith to Douglas Barrington Kent.7,10,3
Margaret Henderson Kent died on 13 May 1962 Invercargill, SLD, NZ, at age 78; indexed as folio #1076 Margaret Henderson Kent, 80, reg. Dunedin "4". Place from affidavit by Lindsay Gerald Moffatt which stated that Margaret Henderson Kent died at Invercargill. There was no dth notice in NZ Herald index, nor in Auck Star July thru Nov incl, nor ODT (Invercargill paper not available at National Archives, Jul 2003.)6,11,12 A funeral service was held for Margaret Henderson Kent cir. May 1962 Dunedin, OTG, NZ, very few people there, just the Edgar family.13
Census/Where lived/OccupationsMargaret Henderson Smith was not registered as an elector in 1914 Oamaru, OTG, NZ, (the only Margaret Smith, was her mother, as "married, Greta St.")15 She lived fr 1919 - 1922 Greta St, Oamaru, OTG, NZ, shown in the electoral rolls as: SMITH, Margaret Henderson, spinster.16 She was not registered as an elector in 1925 in the more likely Otago, Auck or Hawkes Bay rolls as Mgt Henderson Smith (several Margarets.)17 By Dec 1926 Margaret Henderson Smith was living Napier, HBY, NZ.7 She was described as a nurse on her Intentions to Marry entry in Jan 1927 Napier, HBY.7 She and Douglas Barrington Kent lived fr 1928 - 1931 Gaisford Tce, Waipukurau, HBY, NZ, shown in rolls as KENT: Douglas Barrington, solicitor; Margaret Henderson, married.18,19 In 1935 Margaret and Douglas were living 161 Trafalgar St, Onehunga, AKD, NZ, showing as KENT: Douglas Barrington, fruiterer; Margaret Henderson, married.20 Margaret and Douglas Barrington Kent lived fr 1938 - 1951 69 New North Rd, Auckland, C3, AKD, NZ, shown in rolls as KENT: Douglas Barrington, clerk; Margaret Henderson, married.21,22,23,24,25 Fr 1954 - 1960 Margaret Henderson Kent was living 69 New North Rd, Eden, AKD, NZ, shown on rolls as Margaret Henderson Kent, widow.26
Wills/bequestsMargaret Henderson Smith was confirmed as executor of the estate of Margaret Henderson on 25 Aug 1923 Dunedin, OTG, NZ; Probate file includes Margaret's 1917 will, and a typed copy; Probate granted to (daughters) Williamina and Margaret Henderson SMITH, 31 Aug 1923
Affidavits on file from Margaret Henderson SMITH of Oamaru, spinster, and Williamina MARSHALL (nee SMITH) wife of William MARSHALL of Enfield nr Oamaru;
- knew Margaret SMITH when alive
- stated that Margaret died on or around 15th Aug. .. having seen her body after death
- that the Sep 1917 will was her last
- value of estate under £700
- that the deceased was born at Stirling, Scotland and was a British Subject
- Margaret Henderson Smith swore she believed she herself was born Oamaru
- Wliliamina Marshall swore she believed she herself was born at Stobwood, Scotland and had always been a British subject and was the Williamina Smith mentioned in the will, marrying William MARSHALL 27 Jul 1920.27,28
Margaret Henderson Kent wrote a will on 25 Jan 1956 Auckland, AKD, NZ, It was a simple one page document witnessed 25 Jan 1956 by two Auckland solicitors. It appointed the twin sons of her good friend to be executors and Trustees. She bequeathed her "two china dogs and my Reindeer Wedgewood Breakfast Set" to Jean Edgar "wife of my nephew Ralph Edgar of Balfour Southland", and all the rest of her entire estate to the above twins "as tenants in common in equal shares absolutely". (The china dogs are now, 2003, with a son of Jean and Ralph in Manapouri (info from Doug), and the breakfast set with a daughter in Taupo (from the dtr Annette) The will was proved in the Auckland Supreme Court on 28th Nov 1962.29,30 Her estate was probated on 26 Nov 1962 Auckland, AKD; indexed as KENT: Margaret Henderson, widow of Auckland. Notice of motion for probate applied for 26th Nov 1962... the effects were under the value of £1000."29,31
NamesAs of 16 May 1916, Margaret Henderson Smith was also known as Maggie Smith as she appears under this nickname in her father's dth notice.4
All the other infoMargaret Henderson Smith was Oamaru Sth School, Oamaru, OTG, NZ, in 1895 (assumes that Clive's suggestion that Maggie SMITH b. 22 Oct 1883 admitted to Oamaru Sth School from Kurow in 1895 is this Margaret - which may not be so as Margaret's birth date is now believed to be 28th Nov 1883 instead -but the only SMITH birth in NZ for 22 Oct 1883 is a James.)32 She erected the mem. stone to her parents Oamaru Cem., Oamaru, OTG, NZ, Clive thinks looks like newer stone on older base and post dates WW2 but has no info on it re the mason.33 She was believed to be a matron Seacliff Psychiatric Hospital, OTG, NZ, according to family rumour, but this seems unlikely.14 Margaret was photographed cir. 1962 Balfour, SLD, NZ, in front of the circular wrought iron staircase.34
Donald (Blows) told me that he and his twin brother Rex inherited Margaret's estate because their mother Helen was a very good friend of Margaret's. He didn't remember her that well, other than they (his mother and Margaret) went to the pictures together regularly. He thought that she and Douglas had divorced, but this is unlikely to be correct as they appeared together in the electoral rolls up to his death. It is however possible that there is a grain of truth in this as Douglas' first wife appears in records well past his 2nd and 3rd marriages, so it is likely that they divorced, rather than he and Margaret.35
External linksClick here to see Margaret's page on WikiTree, a (free) collaborative on-line tree.36
|Douglas Barrington Kent (1874 - 1951)|
Descendants of William McEWAN and Margaret GRAY
|Last Edited||14 Jan 2015|
- 2nd forename from NZSG marriage index.
- Isabella Chittock nee Howden, James Henderson and his family.
- Assorted indexes, NZ Soc. Gen. Index, Vol 3 NZ Bride/Groom index, searched May 2003.
- Newspaper clippings, Obit Robert SMITH found amongst possessions of Amelia HARBOUR nee HENDERSON, niece of Margaret HENDERSON, wife of Robert.
- BDM: NZ historical indexes online at http://bdmhistoricalrecords.identityservices.govt.nz/Search, Birth 27 Nov 1883 Margaret Henderson d/o Robert & Margaret SMITH, ref. 1883/13871, extracted Jan 2015.
- NZ births deaths marriages (index on fiche), Deaths, searched Jun 2003.
- Intentions to marry: BDM 20/178 1st Qtr Napier entry #11, searched Jun 2003.
- "Birthday book Emilia HENDERSON", Held by L McIntosh.
- NZ births deaths marriages (index on fiche), SMITH births, 1883-1884, searched Jul 2005.
- NZSG Matching brides/grooms service: used May 2003.
- WILL SMITH, Margaret Henderson (KENT) (25 Jan 1956) BBAE 1570 p3114/62: Probate file includes affidavit, dated 21 Nov 1962, p/copy rcvd Jul 2003.
- Assorted indexes, NZ Soc. Gen. Index, Vol 3 probate index, searched May 2003.
- Interview, Annette STONE nee SOMERS-EDGAR (34637), Jul 2003.
- Clive Callow, "SMITH (HENDERSON) family tree", rcvd 1994.
- 1853+ Electoral Roll, New Zealand, 1914, searched Jun 2003,.
- 1853+ Electoral Roll, New Zealand, 1919 & 1922 Oamaru, searched Jun 2003,.
- 1853+ Electoral Roll, New Zealand, 1925: Oamaru, Dunedin Central/Nth/Sth/West; Clutha, Chalmers, Wallace, Waitaki, Timaru, Eden, Auck Central/East/West; Grey Lynn; Roskill; Manukau, searched Jun 2003,.
- 1853+ Electoral Roll, New Zealand, 1928 Waipawa, searched Jun 2003,.
- 1853+ Electoral Roll, New Zealand, 1931 Waipawa, searched Jun 2003,.
- 1853+ Electoral Roll, New Zealand, 1935 Manukau Supp. Roll, searched Jul 2003,.
- 1853+ Electoral Roll, New Zealand, 1946 Arch Hill, searched Jul 2003,.
- 1853+ Electoral Roll, New Zealand, 1941 Auck Central, searched Jul 2003,.
- 1853+ Electoral Roll, New Zealand, 1938 Auck Central, searched Jul 2003,.
- 1853+ Electoral Roll, New Zealand, 1943 Auck Central, searched Jul 2003,.
- 1853+ Electoral Roll, New Zealand, 1949/51 Arch Hill, searched Jul 2003,.
- 1853+ Electoral Roll, New Zealand, 1954, 1957, 1960 Eden, searched Jun 2003,.
- NZ Archives: Probate Files , Probate file 25 Aug 1923 Margaret SMITH, wid. of Robert SMITH, Oamaru, from Probate records 1923 P8563/23-P8639/23, images 104 - 117, extracted Jan 2015.
- Assorted indexes, NZ Soc. Gen. Index, Will filed 25 Aug 1923 Margaret SMITH, Oamaru, widow, Probate ref #8572, filed Dunedin, from Probate index.
- WILL SMITH, Margaret Henderson (KENT) (25 Jan 1956) BBAE 1570 p3114/62: p/copy rcvd Jun 2003.
- Interview, Annette STONE nee SOMERS-EDGAR (34637), Photo of Wedgewood "Fallow deer" breakfast set rcvd Mar 2005.
- Assorted indexes, NZ Soc. Gen. Index, held Auck Arch, prob. ref #BBAE 1570 3114/62, in Vol 3 probate index, searched May 2003.
- Letter, Clive Callow to Lorna Henderson, Jan 2003.
- Oamaru Cemetery transcriptions S01.15, 488-495.
- Interview, Annette STONE nee SOMERS-EDGAR (34637), Photo Margaret KENT nee SMITH, rcvd Aug 2003.
- Interview, Donald Ernest BLOWS, Jul 2003.
- WikiTree online at http://WikiTree.com/, Oct 2013.
E. & O. E. Some/most parish records are rather hard to read and names, places hard to interpret, particularly if you are unfamiliar with an area.