(29 December 1856 - between January 1884 and March 1884)
|Father||Archibald Henderson (cir. Mar 1837 - Apr 1911); Original assumption was that the (probably newly married) groom living next door to Archibald might be his son, subsequently proved by James' marriage cert.2,3,1|
|Mother||Agnes Todd1 (May 1840 - Feb 1873)|
|Relationship||1st cousin 2 times removed of Lorna Henderson|
BMDB dataJames Henderson was born on 29 Dec 1856 in the Par. of Carnwath, LKS, SCT.1,2
James Henderson married Rebecca Ray Nealy, daughter of David Nealy and Hannah Tweedle, on 25 Nov 1880 Register Office, Cockermouth, CUL, ENG, cert. reads: James Henderson 23, groom s/o Archibald Henderson, colliery steward, married Rebecca Ray Nealy 20, d/o David Nealy, coalminer. Both resident Great Clifton. Signed by James, and X the mark of Rebecca Ray Nealy. Witnessed by John M Tweddle (could be a cousin or uncle of Rebecca's, as her mother was Hannah Tweedle) and Elizabeth Beck (wonder if there's any connection with the future husband of James' niece Sarah, dtr of Alexander David?)2,4,5
James Henderson was assumed to have died bet. Jan 1884 - Mar 1884 reg. Cockermouth, CUL, ENG, indexed as a 27 yr old James reg. Mar qtr 1884 (10b/341), which fits with an 1886 marriage of a Rebecca Henderson to Robinson Stephenson who later have a son Tweedle, Rebecca's mother's surname.6,7
Census/Where lived/OccupationsThe census of 1861 showed James and his sister Helen in the household of his parents Archibald and Agnes Henderson Harrayfoot Hill, Par. of Carnwath, LKS, SCT, enumerated as HENDERSON: Archibald, 24, blacksmith, birth place NK; wife Agness 20 b Carnwath; Son James 4; Dtr Helen 1, both b Carnwath.8 James Henderson appeared on the census of 1871 Buckthnowes, Par. of Carnwath, LKS, SCT, in the household of his grandfather Alexander Todd.9
James and Rebecca E Henderson appeared on the census of 3 Apr 1881 Concrete #40, Gt Clifton, CUL, ENG, as HENDERSON: James, head, groom domestic serv, 24, b. Scotland, Rebecca E, wife, 20, b. Greysouthen, CUL. (next door to James' father Archibald.)4
James Henderson and Rebecca Ray Henderson were not found in the census of 1891 ENG No James Henderson b Scotland of the right age and the only Rebecca or Rebecah b Greysouthen of the right age was a Stephenson, which again fits the likelihood of his death and her remarriage.10,11
|Rebecca Ray Nealy (cir. Aug 1860 - aft. 1911)|
Descendants of William McEWAN and Margaret GRAY
|Last Edited||24 Jan 2009|
- HENDERSON, International Genealogical Index (IGI), HENDERSON/TOD(D) births, Carnwath, batch C116321, extracted 1993.
- Various, BDM Certified copy, Mar. 1880 James HENDERSON and Rebecca Ray NEALY, reg. Cockermouth, Dec qtr 1880 (Vol 10b p874), copy rcvd Oct 2005.
- 1881 Census, Cumberland, CUL, ENG, Neighbouring households of Archibald and James HENDERSON, extracted Sep/Oct 1994/5.
- 1881 Census transcripts, UK, via Family Search/LDS CDs, Northern Borders, CUL, Film 1342248 PRO Ref RG11 Piece 5175 folio 120 page 40, hsehold of James & Rebecca HENDERSON, extracted c 2000.
- Www FreeBMD ENG online at http://freebmd.rootsweb.com/cgi/search.pl, HENDERSON marriages, James to Rebecca, searched Feb 2005.
- Www FreeBMD ENG online at http://freebmd.rootsweb.com/cgi/search.pl, Dths HENDERSON, James, CUL, searched Feb 2005.
- "Lorna's Family History Musings", Oct 2005.
- Scottish BMDB entries (from 1855), http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/index.php, 1861 Census, Par. of Carnwath, LKS, Dist 632 (ED8?) Page 3 Schedule #8, copy d/loaded Oct 2005.
- Scottish BMDB entries (from 1855), http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/index.php, 1871 Census: Carnwath, LKS SCT Dist 632 ED 8 Page 11 Schedule #43, copy d/loaded May 2005.
- 1891 Census, Various, Ancestry: searched Feb 2005.
- "Lorna's Family History Musings", Feb 2005.
E. & O. E. Some/most parish records are rather hard to read and names, places hard to interpret, particularly if you are unfamiliar with an area.