(5 February 1873 - 20 August 1926)
|Father||Archibald Henderson2,1 (cir. Mar 1837 - Apr 1911)|
|Mother||Agnes Todd1,2 (May 1840 - Feb 1873)|
|Relationship||1st cousin 2 times removed of Lorna Henderson|
BMDB dataWilliam Henderson was born on 5 Feb 1873 Haywood, Forth, Par. of Carnwath, LKS, SCT.1,3
William Henderson married Marion Aitken, daughter of Archibald Aitken and Helen Kyle, on 7 Jul 1894 Pres. Ch, Market Pl, Whitehaven, CUL, ENG, cert. reads: William 21, blacksmith, living at No 1 James Pit, s/o Archibald, oversman in a coal mine. Marion 20 living at No 2 James Pit. d/o Archibald Aitken, coal miner, dec. Wit: Agnes Aitken, (assumed to be Marion's sister) and John Henderson (assumed to be William's brother.)4,5,6
William Henderson married Ann McDonald Cameron, daughter of Peter Cameron and Jessie Munro, on 31 Dec 1919 at the Manse, Aitkenhead, Dist of Bothwell, LKS, SCT, cert shows married after publication, Free Ch of Sct, William, 46, coal miner s/o Archibald Henderson, blacksmith journeyman, and Agnes m.s. Todd, both dec'd and Ann McDonald Halley, 43, dtr of Peter Cameron, joiner journeyman and Jessie m.s. Munro, both dec'd. Both William and Ann were widowed, and living 54 Thornwood Rows. Minister Wm Taylor UF Minster at Aitkenhead, Wit: John & Helen Grant, reg. Jan 6th 1920 at Uddingston.7,8
William Henderson died on 20 Aug 1926 Single Row, Thornwood, Dist of Bothwell, LKS, SCT, at age 53; cert shows William as a coal miner married to 1) Marion Aitken 2) Annie McDonald Cameron or Halley, d. 8:10pm aged 52 of injury to back & spine 8 mths, lobar pneumonia 6 days, s/o Archibald Henderson, blacksmith journeyman and Agnes m.s. Todd, both dec'd. Inf. widow Annie Henderson, present, reg. Uddingston Aug 21st. RCE Vol VI Pg 137 Nov 30th report of result of a precognition received which adds to the cause of death "from injuires by accident received through fall of portion of wall of shaft in colliery (per verdict of jury), signed Procurator Fiscals Office Hamilton 20th Oct 1926, and by the Registrar at Uddingston 30th Nov 1926.9,10,11
Census/Where lived/OccupationsThe census of 3 Apr 1881 showed William, John, Archibald and Robert and their sister Agnes in the household of their parents Archibald and Marion Henderson Concrete #42, Gt Clifton, CUL, ENG, enumerated as Archabald (sic), head, colliery Overman, mar, 44, wife Marion 36, both b. Scotland. Dtr Agnes, 11; Sons Archibald, 13, labourer; William 8, scholar; John, 4; (all b SCT); Robert 1, b. Gt Clifton, CUL (next door at No. 40 was son James and his new wife Rebecca.)13 By the census of 6 Apr 1891 William Henderson was still shown as son of Archibald but now at 26 Braithwaite, Whitehaven.14,15
William Henderson was shown as the head of the household in the census of 1901 30 Westrigg, Torpichen, Par. of Armadale, WLN, SCT, with Marion enumerated as HENDERSON: William 28 Colliery haulageman b Haywood, LKS; wife Marion 26 b Kilsyth, STI (should say Kirkintilloch, DNB); Dtrs: Helen A 5, Amelia 4, both scholars b ENG; Marion 1 b Bothwell, LKS.16
William Henderson appeared on the census of 1911 Copeland Tce (36), Uddingston, Dist of Bothwell, LKS, SCT, enumerated as HENDERSON (2 rooms 1 or more windows): William 39 coal miner (hewer, worker) wid. b. Heywood (sic), LKS; Children: Ellen 16, Amelia 15 both b. ENG; Marion 12 at school b. Heywood, LKS; Agnes 10 at school b. Uphall, Linlithgow; Maggie 7, Archibald 5, both at school b. Uddingston, LKS; Mary 4 b. Uddingston.17
All the other infoWilliam Henderson was the informant for the death of his wife Marion Glen Aitken on 11 Nov 1908 in the Royal Infirmary, Glasgow, LKS, SCT, at which time her usual residence was given as 20 Wellbank Pl, Uddingston, Lanarkshire.9,18 William Henderson was ill cir. Dec 1925 injured in a colliery accident, 8 mths prior to his death. Around this date I couldn't spot any accident reports on the excellent site on Scottish Mining Villages.11
External linksClick here to see William's page on WikiTree, a (free) collaborative on-line tree.19
|Marion Glen Aitken (Jun 1874 - Nov 1908)|
|Ann McDonald Cameron (Jun 1876 - 1949)|
Descendants of William McEWAN and Margaret GRAY
|Last Edited||1 Apr 2017|
- HENDERSON, International Genealogical Index (IGI), HENDERSON/TOD(D) births, Carnwath, batch C116321, extracted 1993.
- Isabella Chittock nee Howden, James Henderson and his family, Children of Archibald HENDERSON and Agnes TODD, Page 2, extracted c 1972.
- Scottish BMDB entries (from 1855), http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/index.php, 1901 Census: Torpichen, WLN Dist 671/2 (ED2?) Page 27, copy d/loaded Oct 2005, (added Haywood).
- Elspeth Kane, "EMail Corres. re HENDERSON/AITKEN between LornaHen and Elspeth," e-mail to L Henderson(1), Marr. 1894 William HENDERSON and Marion AITKEN, extract rcvd Oct 2005.
- HENDERSON: www & misc. correspondence Posting re 1894 marriage: William HENDERSON and Marion AITKEN in my Rootsweb guestbook, by Elspeth, Oct 2005.
- Www FreeBMD ENG online at http://freebmd.rootsweb.com/cgi/search.pl, Marr. 1894 William HENDERSON and Marion AITKEN, Whitehaven, Sep qtr, 10b/953, extracted Oct 2005.
- Scottish BMDB entries (from 1855), http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/index.php, Marr. 31 Dec 1919 (reg. 1920) William HENDERSON & Ann McDonald HALLEY/MALLEY, reg. Dist of Bothwell, LKS 625/01 Pg 8 #15, copy d/loaded Mar 2008.
- GenesReunited online at http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/, William HENDERSON/Ann CAMERON, tree of Moira PATERSON, extracted Mar 2008.
- Www FreeBMD ENG online at http://freebmd.rootsweb.com/cgi/search.pl, Mar. 1894 William HENDERSON and Marion AITKEN, Whitehaven, Sep qtr, 10b/953, extracted Oct 2005.
- GRO, SCT, BDM searches at GRO SCT: Dth index 1908-1973 William HENDERSON, searched by Robert McC, Oct 2005.
- Scottish BMDB entries (from 1855), http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/index.php, Dth 20 Aug 1926 William HENDERSON, reg. Dist of Bothwell, LKS Dist 625/01 pg 46 #138, copy d/loaded Mar 2008.
- Ian Aitken-Kemp, "EMail Corres. re HENDERSON/AITKEN between Ian A-K & LornaHen," e-mail to Lorna Henderson, Photo c 1901 William HENDERSON (with shotgun), rcvd Jan 2009.
- 1881 Census transcripts, UK, via Family Search/LDS CDs, Northern Borders, Film 1342248 PRO Ref RG11 Piece 5175 folio 120 page 40, extracted c 2000.
- 1891 Census, Various, Whitehaven, RG12/4314, Page 12, Schedule #74, Via Ancestry.com free trial, Jul 2004.
- Ian Aitken-Kemp, "EMail Corres. re HENDERSON/AITKEN between Ian A-K & LornaHen," e-mail to Lorna Henderson, Archibald HENDERSON, 1891 census Whitehaven address: Braithwaite, between Wellington and Bransty Row, both of the latter still there, former not, rcvd Feb 2009.
- Scottish BMDB entries (from 1855), http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/index.php, 1901 Census: Torpichen, WLN Dist 671/2 (ED2?) Page 27, copy d/loaded Oct 2005.
- 1911 Census index or image, SCT, http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/, Bothwell, LKS, Reg. 625/01 010 000 2 Sched. 51, hsehold of William HENDERSON, copy d/loaded Apr 2016.
- GRO, SCT, BDM searches at GRO SCT: Dth 1908 Marion Glen HENDERSON nee AITKEN, transcr. rcvd from Robert McC, Oct 2005.
- WikiTree online at http://WikiTree.com/, Apr 2016.
- Scottish BMDB entries (from 1855), http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/index.php, Birth 1899 Marion Aitken HENDERSON, Dist 625/3 #324 Page 108, copy d/loaded Oct 2005.
- Scottish BMDB entries (from 1855), http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/index.php, Dth 13 Jan 1953 Marion Aitken LAPPIN nee HENDERSON, reg. Pollok, Burgh of Glasgow, LKS, Dist 644/18 Pg 23 #67, copy d/loaded Apr 2008.
- Ian Aitken-Kemp, "EMail Corres. re HENDERSON/AITKEN between Ian A-K & LornaHen," e-mail to Lorna Henderson, Guestbook posting, Jan 2009.
- Ian Aitken-Kemp, "EMail Corres. re HENDERSON/AITKEN between Ian A-K & LornaHen," e-mail to Lorna Henderson, Birth 7 Oct 1901 Agnes Todd d/o William HENDRESON & Marion Glen AITKEN, reg. Blackridge, Linlithgow, Dist 671/02 Pg 23 #68, copy rcvd Jan 2009.
E. & O. E. Some/most parish records are rather hard to read and names, places hard to interpret, particularly if you are unfamiliar with an area.