(27 January 1796 - 24 April 1876)
|Father||David Henderson2,3 (bef. 1777 - )|
|Mother||Christian Stephan2,3 (bef. 1777 - )|
BMDB dataDavid Henderson was born on 27 Jan 1796 at Freswick, CAI, SCT.2,4
David Henderson married Margaret Kennedy on 6 Jan 1834 in the Par. of Canisbay, CAI, SCT, (it is assumed that the David Henderson that married Margaret Kennedy, with only the one child, David, shown to the couple on the igi is this David's first marriage, particularly as there is a son David of the right age shown in 1841 and 1851 with him on the census, and his age predates the marriage to Bel Manson).5,6
David Henderson married Isobel Manson, daughter of James Manson and Christan Georgeson, on 8 Feb 1839 at Watten, CAI, SCT, OPR entry (from Wendy) reads: "David Henderson in Freswick in the Parish of Canisbay & Isabella Manson in Coghill on this parish, were contracted in order to Marriage, after the usual proclamation of Banns for three several Sabbaths, published here in the usual place and meeting no objection offered their Marriage was Solemnized on Friday the 8th day of February 1839."1,2,3
David Henderson died on 24 Apr 1876 at Freswick, Canisbay, CAI, SCT, at age 80; Cert reads: David Henderson fisherman & widower of Isabella Manson s/o David Henderson, fisherman, dec, and Christina Steven dec. died 24 Apr 1876, aged 81, of heart disease of 10 yrs duration. Inf. John Henderson nephew. H/stone adds yet another year onto his age, showing him as 82. The date is 3 days after son Donald.7,3
Census/Where lived/OccupationsDavid appeared on the census of 7 Jun 1841 at Skirsa, Canisbay, CAI, SCT, with Bel Henderson, as HENDERSON: David M 45 Pilot; Bell F 38; David M 6 (assumed to be David's son from earlier marriage); James M 1; Magnus M 3m; all b CAI (NB instructions to the enumerators for this census were to round ages to the nearest multiple of 5, children tended to have their ages accurately recorded - or at least as accurate as such things can be. These instructions were not always followed).4,8,9
David Henderson appeared on the census of 30 Mar 1851 at Skirza, Village of Freswick, Par. of Canisbay, CAI, SCT, enumerated as HENDERSON: David, head, widower, 55, fisherman & pilot; David, 16, gen. lab; James, 11; Donald, 8; all b Canisbay, CAI.10
David Henderson appeared on the census of 7 Apr 1861 at Freswick, Canisbay, CAI, SCT, enumerated as HENDERSON: David Head Widower 66; James 20; Donald 18; all Fisherman b. Canisbay.11
All the other infoDavid was predeceased by his child John Henderson on 3 Aug 1862.12,13
David Henderson and John Henderson are related uncle/nephew - John being the informant for his uncle's death.3 David Henderson was interred with Donald Henderson Canisbay, CAI, SCT; h/stone reads: 1880 erected by Ellen Sutherland, Freswick in memory of husband Donald Henderson 21.4.1876 31 (father David Henderson 24.4.1876 82).7
Information on the descendants of this line comes from:
Wendy Graham (Wendy's email)
Barry Madden (Barry's email)
Peggy Leard (Peggy's email)
who would welcome contacts from relatives.
Stop press: a further son has just been found. John appears to have lived with his cousin John Smith all his life, which leads me to the conclusion that just possibly, Bel died giving birth to him. He led a tragically short life, drowning in Loch Watten at age 16.14,13
|Isobel Manson (May 1803 - bet. 1847 - 1851)|
|Last Edited||1 Feb 2007|
- 1993 IGI extract - MANSON, CAI, SCT, Batch M110424-?-990557 extracted Aug 2003.
- Wendy GRAHAM (), "MANSON/HENDERSON ex Wendy G," e-mail to L McIntosh (1), rcvd Aug 2003.
- GRO, SCT, BDM searches at GRO SCT: Dth 1876 David HENDERSON, transcr. Robert McC, Sep 2003.
- Wendy GRAHAM (), "MANSON/HENDERSON ex Wendy G," e-mail to L McIntosh (1), From 1841 Census Piece: SCT 1841/35 Place: Canisbay, CAI Enum Dist: 5 Civil Parish: Canisbay Page: 9, rcvd Aug 2003.
- Online search: assorted surnames, International Genealogical Index (IGI), HENDERSON births 1834, batch C110356, searched Aug 2003.
- Online search: assorted surnames, International Genealogical Index (IGI), HENDERSON/KENNEDY marriage 1834 batch M110356, searched Aug 2003.
- MIs: CAI Canisbay Vol 1 pt 1 1 pt 1 , Entry #314, SUTHERLAND/HENDERSON, searched Aug 2003.
- Www CAI, SCT Two photos of Skirza Harbour, taken Dec 2000, from http://www.caithness.org/geography/harbours/skirzaharbour/…, extracted Aug 2003.
- 1841 Census, CAI, SCT, Canisbay Dist 5 Sched 9 (Mellor index) #53, extracted Aug 2003.
- Wendy GRAHAM (), "MANSON/HENDERSON ex Wendy G," e-mail to L McIntosh (1), 1851 Census film #1041493, Canisbay, p/copy rcvd Aug 2003.
- Wendy GRAHAM (), "MANSON/HENDERSON ex Wendy G," e-mail to L McIntosh (1), From 1861 census Film # 103814 Enum District #2 #25, rcvd Aug 2003.
- 1861 Census (images for ENG, transcriptions for SCT), UK, via Ancestry.com, Watten, CAI Par. 42 ED 4 Pg 8 Sched 38, hsehold of John SMITH, extracted Jan 2007.
- Scottish BMDB entries (from 1855), http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/index.php, Dth 1862 John HENDERSON, reg. Watten Dist 042 #16, copy d/loaded Jan 2007.
- Wendy GRAHAM (), "MANSON/HENDERSON ex Wendy G," e-mail to L McIntosh (1), rcvd Sep 2003.
- Online search: assorted surnames, International Genealogical Index (IGI), HENDERSON/MANSON births, batch C110356, extracted Aug 2003.
E. & O. E. Some/most parish records are rather hard to read and names, places hard to interpret, particularly if you are unfamiliar with an area.