(circa 1801 - 28 September 1862)
|Father||Andrew Hood5 (bef. 1780 - bef. 1862)|
|Mother||Mary Waugh5 (bef. 1780 - bef. 1862)|
BMDB dataWilliam Hood was born cir. 1801 Jedburgh, ROX, SCT.2 William Hood was assumed to have first married Elizabeth Currie say 1826 prob. at ?Jedburgh, ROX, SCT, this being based on the assumption I've correctly identified the Robert in the 1881 census in Hawick as the 13 yr old Robert with William and his 2nd wife Ann in 1841.6
William Hood married Ann Fairbairn, daughter of Walter Fairbairn and Agnes Robinson, bet. 1830 - 1836 probably ?Jedburgh or ?Morebattle, ROX, SCT, She may have been William's 2nd wife. If Wm and Ann followed the naming pattern for their children, then it is highly likely that there are at least a William and an Agnes floating around somewhere, yet to be found7.2,7
William Hood died on 28 Sep 1862 Deans Close, Jedburgh, ROX, SCT; Cert 792 #63 reads: William Hood, 61, married to Ann Fairbairn died noon, 28 Sep 1862 at Deans Close, Jedburgh, son of Andrew Hood, brewers carter, and Mary Waugh, both dec., the cause given as irritation of the bladder, 1 yr, general debility, 6mths, inf. wife Ann, reg. 29th.5,8
Census/Where lived/OccupationsWilliam Hood appeared on the census of 7 Jun 1841 Canongate, Jedburgh, ROX, SCT, with Ann Hood, as HOOD: William, 40, stocking maker journeyman; Anne, 25; Robert 13; Margaret 7 (assumed to be a mistranscription for Mary, even though the age is 2 yrs older than all other records show); Andrew 4, all b ROX (NB enumerators were instructed to round ages down to the nearest multiple of 5.)9
William and Ann Hood appeared on the census of 30 Mar 1851 1 Duck Row, Jedburgh, ROX, SCT, as HOOD (all b Jedburgh): William, mar, 50, brewer (journeyman); Ann, wife 40; Children: Mary 15; Andrew scholar 13; Isabella scholar 5; Sarah 2.2 William Hood was a maltsman, when son Robert married in Mar 1855.10 He was a stocking maker in Jul 1860.11
William Hood appeared on the census of 1861 31 Canongate, Jedburgh, ROX, SCT, with Ann Hood, enumerated as HOOD: William 62 breweryman b Jedburgh; wife Ann 50 b Morebattle; Children: Mary 24 mill worker; Isabella 14, Sarah 12, Archibald 7, all scholars all b Jedburgh; Also Boarders: John CARTER 3 b Jedburgh; Agnes McKIE 5mths b Jedburgh (a near neighbour, at 23 Canongate, was Ann's sister Alison.)12 William Hood was described as a stocking frame work knitter, dec in Jun 1863.13 And as a stocking maker, dec in Sep 1893.14 In Dec 1898 William Hood was a brewery worker (dec) (also Jun 1897 when dtr Mary married.)15,16
All the other infoWilliam Hood and Elizabeth Hood were possibly related, Wm Hood being married to Ann Fairbairn, and Elizabeth married to Ann's brother Archibald. William was the son of Andrew and Mary Hood, Elizabeth had childen named Andrew and Mary (but not in the right placement for the Scottish naming pattern.) Another possible relation for William was John Hood Jedburgh, ROX, SCT, in 1848.17
|Ann Fairbairn (cir. 1810 - Nov 1891)|
John & Bessie (FFLINT) FAIRBAIRN
|Last Edited||1 Jan 2012|
- Forename from 1851 census and igi.
- Graham MAXWELL, "EM Borders: ex Graham M," e-mail to L Henderson(1), 1851 ROX Census: Jedburgh Parish, Book 5 Page 31, rcvd Feb 2004.
- 1891 Census, Borders.
- Online search: assorted surnames, International Genealogical Index (IGI), HOOD/FAIRBAIRN, batch C191391, extracted Feb 2004.
- GRO, SCT, BDM searches at GRO SCT: Dth 1862 William HOOD, transcr. Stuart H, Mar 2004.
- Online search: assorted surnames, International Genealogical Index (IGI), HOOD/SHAW, batch 7118813 sheet 53, extracted Jul 2004.
- "Lorna's Family History Musings", Mar 2004.
- Heather, "FAIRBAIRN/HOOD Corres. ex Heather," e-mail to Lorna Henderson, Dth 28 Sep 1862 William HOOD, h/o Ann FAIRBAIRN, Jedburgh, ROX 792 #63, copy rcvd Oct 2011.
- FreeCensus, UK online at http://www.freecen.org.uk/, 1841 Jedburgh Dist 792 EnumDist 3 Folio 3 Page 12/13, extracted Jul 2004.
- GRO, SCT, BDM searches at GRO SCT: Mar. 1855 Robert HOOD and Margaret SHAW, transcr. Stuart H, Jul 2004.
- GRO, SCT, BDM searches at GRO SCT: Mar. 1860 Andrew HOOD to Janet KEDDIE, transcr. Robert McC, Apr 2004.
- 1861 Census transcripts, Scotland, via Ancestry.com, Jedburgh, ROX Reg 792 ED 14 Pg 5 Sched 28, hsehold of William & Ann HOOD, extracted Jan 2008.
- GRO, SCT, BDM searches at GRO SCT: Dth 1863 Isabella Oliver HOOD, transcr. Robert McC, Apr 2004.
- GRO, SCT, BDM searches at GRO SCT: Mar. 1893 Andrew KEDDIE to Janet COSSAR, transcr. Robert McC, rcvd Apr 2004.
- GRO, SCT, BDM searches at GRO SCT: Dth 1898 Mary WILSON nee HOOD, transcr. Robert McC, Apr 2004.
- GRO, SCT, BDM searches at GRO SCT: Mar. 1897 William WILSON and Mary HOOD, transcr. Robert McC, rcvd Jul 2004.
- 1881 Census transcripts, UK, via Family Search/LDS CDs, FHL Film 0224042 GRO Ref Volume 795 EnumDist 2 Page 2, extracted Feb 2004.
- GRO, SCT, BDM searches at GRO SCT: Dth 1912 Andrew HOOD, transcr. Stuart H, Mar 2004.
- Scottish BMDB entries (from 1855), http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/index.php, Dth 1871 Archibald Campbell Swinton HOOD, reg. Jedburgh, ROX Dist 792 Pg 10 #29, copy d/loaded Jan 2008.
E. & O. E. Some/most parish records are rather hard to read and names, places hard to interpret, particularly if you are unfamiliar with an area.