(circa 1810 - 8 November 1891)
|Father||Walter Fairbairn (cir. 1784 - Jan 1859)|
|Mother||Agnes Robinson (cir. 1786 - Apr 1863)|
|Relationship||3rd great-aunt of Lorna Henderson|
BMDB dataAnn Fairbairn was born cir. 1810 Morebattle, ROX, SCT, with the newfound sister Alison, of about the same age as Ann, I've placed Ann as c 1810 and Alison as c 1811, purely because of the Scottish naming pattern, Ann being Agnes' mother's name, so she will probably have been the first dtr.1,2,3 Some sources believe Ann Fairbairn was born cir. 1811 Jedburgh, ROX, SCT, and even though the year is about right, the place looks like a mistake.4
Ann Fairbairn married William Hood, son of Andrew Hood and Mary Waugh, bet. 1830 - 1836 probably ?Jedburgh or ?Morebattle, ROX, SCT, She may have been William's 2nd wife. If Wm and Ann followed the naming pattern for their children, then it is highly likely that there are at least a William and an Agnes floating around somewhere, yet to be found5.4,5
Ann Hood died on 8 Nov 1891 Village, Par. of Morebattle, ROX, SCT; with her h/stone showing her as aged 81. Cert. shows her as widow of William Hood, workman in Brewery, d. 0:35pm aged 81 of bronchitis, 14 days, cert. by T Monies; Dtr of Walter Fairbairn, agricultural labourer and Agnes m.s. Robeson, both dec'd. Inf. son Andrew, present, reg. Nov 8th at Morebattle.1,6
Census/Where lived/OccupationsAnn Hood appeared on the census of 7 Jun 1841 Canongate, Jedburgh, ROX, SCT, with William Hood, as HOOD: William, 40, stocking maker journeyman; Anne, 25; Robert 13; Margaret 7 (assumed to be a mistranscription for Mary, even though the age is 2 yrs older than all other records show); Andrew 4, all b ROX (NB enumerators were instructed to round ages down to the nearest multiple of 5.)7
William and Ann Hood appeared on the census of 30 Mar 1851 1 Duck Row, Jedburgh, ROX, SCT, as HOOD (all b Jedburgh): William, mar, 50, brewer (journeyman); Ann, wife 40; Children: Mary 15; Andrew scholar 13; Isabella scholar 5; Sarah 2.4
Ann Hood appeared on the census of 1861 31 Canongate, Jedburgh, ROX, SCT, with William Hood, enumerated as HOOD: William 62 breweryman b Jedburgh; wife Ann 50 b Morebattle; Children: Mary 24 mill worker; Isabella 14, Sarah 12, Archibald 7, all scholars all b Jedburgh; Also Boarders: John CARTER 3 b Jedburgh; Agnes McKIE 5mths b Jedburgh (a near neighbour, at 23 Canongate, was Ann's sister Alison.)8
Ann Hood appeared on the census of 1871 18 Queen St, Jedburgh, ROX, SCT, enumerated as HOOD, Ann, wool picker, widow, 60 b Morebattle (no others at same address.)9
Ann Hood appeared on the census of 3 Apr 1881 25 Canongate, Jedburgh, ROX, SCT, enumerated as HOOD: Ann, Boarder (head) widow, housekeeper 70, b Morebattle (no other Hood or Fairbairn at same address.)10 She appeared on the census of 1891 in the Village, Morebattle, ROX, SCT, in the household of Mary Holiday as sister of Mary.2
All the other infoAnn Fairbairn was the informant for the death of her husband William Hood on 28 Sep 1862 Deans Close, Jedburgh, ROX, SCT.11,12
Ann Hood was the informant for the death of her child Isabella Oliver Hood on 27 Jun 1863 Carnelins Close (3), Jedburgh, ROX, SCT.13 Ann was predeceased by her child Sarah Hood on 17 Jul 1867.14
Ann Hood was the informant for the death of her son Archibald Campbell Swinton Hood on 10 Mar 1871 18 Queen St, Jedburgh, ROX, SCT.15
Ann Fairbairn was interred with Walter Fairbairn and Agnes Robison in the Churchyard, Morebattle, ROX, SCT; Described in the MI booklet as "Ivy covered stone leaning against enclosure wall" entry reads: "IMO Walter Fairbairn who died at Morebattle 19.1.1959 (sic, should be 1859!!) aged 75 yrs and Agnes Robison his wife died 1.4.1863 aged 77 yrs also Peter Holiday died Oct 1883 aged 62 yrs also Mary Fairbairn wife of Peter Holiday died 28.11.1902 aged 76 yrs and of Ann Fairbairn their dtr who died 8.11.???? (now known to be 1891) aged 81 yrs". I managed to visit this cemetery, and find the stone with the help of the kindly couple who lived on the corner of Teapot Lane (or similar name). They also opened the church and showed me the interior, which post dated my Fairbairn ancestors' stay in Morebattle. The cemetery has a lovely outlook over rolling fields.16,17 Ann Fairbairn and William Hood ROX, SCT, in 1855 were possibly related, as Wm is the only Wm Hood b ROX obvious in the 1881 census of an age to be Ann's son, if she had a surviving Wm.18
|William Hood (cir. 1801 - Sep 1862)|
John & Bessie (FFLINT) FAIRBAIRN
Ancestors & siblings of Les Henderson
|Last Edited||1 Jan 2012|
- Borders FHS, MIs: ROX Morebattle, Entry #125, extracted pre 1995.
- 1891 Census, Borders, Dist 801 Morebattle EnumDist 1 entry #57 (next to bakery).
- "Lorna's Family History Musings", Jan 2008.
- Graham MAXWELL, "EM Borders: ex Graham M," e-mail to L Henderson(1), 1851 ROX Census: Jedburgh Parish, Book 5 Page 31, rcvd Feb 2004.
- "Lorna's Family History Musings", Mar 2004.
- Scottish BMDB entries (from 1855), http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/index.php, Dth 1891 Ann HOOD nee FAIRBAIRN, reg. Morebattle, Dist 801 Pg 6 #16, copy d/loaded Jan 2008.
- FreeCensus, UK online at http://www.freecen.org.uk/, 1841 Jedburgh Dist 792 EnumDist 3 Folio 3 Page 12/13, extracted Jul 2004.
- 1861 Census transcripts, Scotland, via Ancestry.com, Jedburgh, ROX Reg 792 ED 14 Pg 5 Sched 28, hsehold of William & Ann HOOD, extracted Jan 2008.
- 1871 Census, Borders, SCT, Jedburgh Dist 792 EnumDist 7 Entry #37.
- 1881 Census transcripts, UK, via Family Search/LDS CDs, FHL Film 0224041 GRO Ref Volume 792 EnumDist 10 Page 6, rechecked Apr 2004.
- GRO, SCT, BDM searches at GRO SCT: Dth 1862 William HOOD, transcr. Stuart H, Mar 2004.
- Heather, "FAIRBAIRN/HOOD Corres. ex Heather," e-mail to Lorna Henderson, Dth 28 Sep 1862 William HOOD, h/o Ann FAIRBAIRN, Jedburgh, ROX 792 #63, copy rcvd Oct 2011.
- GRO, SCT, BDM searches at GRO SCT: Dth 1863 Isabella Oliver HOOD, transcr. Robert McC, Apr 2004.
- GRO, SCT, BDM searches at GRO SCT: Dth 1867 Sarah HOOD, transcr. Robert McC, rcvd Apr 2004.
- Scottish BMDB entries (from 1855), http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/index.php, Dth 1871 Archibald Campbell Swinton HOOD, reg. Jedburgh, ROX Dist 792 Pg 10 #29, copy d/loaded Jan 2008.
- Walter FAIRBAIRN (11277), DC FAIRBAIRN, Walter 1859, p/copy held, scannded Dec 2011.
- Borders FHS, MIs: ROX Morebattle, Entry #125, extracted 1994.
- 1881 Census transcripts, UK, via Family Search/LDS CDs, FHL Film 0224032 GRO Ref Volume 751 EnumDist 1 Page 8, extracted Mar 2004.
- GRO, SCT, BDM searches at GRO SCT: Mar. 1860 Andrew HOOD to Janet KEDDIE, transcr. Robert McC, Apr 2004.
- Online search: assorted surnames, International Genealogical Index (IGI), HOOD/FAIRBAIRN, batch C191391, extracted Feb 2004.
E. & O. E. Some/most parish records are rather hard to read and names, places hard to interpret, particularly if you are unfamiliar with an area.