(circa 1812 - 24 February 1890)
|Father||John Houd1 (Aug 1792 - bef. 1890)|
|Mother||Agnes Minto1 (say 1790 - bef. 1890)|
BMDB dataElizabeth Hood was born cir. 1812 Minto, ROX, SCT, which birth is not immediately obvious on igi.2,3,4 She married Archibald Fairbairn, son of Walter Fairbairn and Agnes Robinson, in May 1835 ROX, SCT; Cavers 31st, Bedrule, 15th (assumed to be Banns).5
Betty Fairbairn died on 24 Feb 1890 9 Old Bongate, Jedburgh, ROX, SCT; cert #B7 reads: Betty FAIRBAIRN, widow of Archibald FAIRBAIRN, shepherd, died of bronchitis of 10 days duration, aged 78, 24 Feb 1890 6:30pm, dtr of John HOUD, lint heckler and Agnes m.s. MINTO, both dec. Reg. 26 Feb by son Walter, present.2,6,1
Census/Where lived/OccupationsBetty Fairbairn and Archibald Fairbairn appeared on the census of 7 Jun 1841 Walkersknow, Par. of Jedburgh, ROX, SCT, and are assumed to be husband and wife. They were enumerated as FAIRBAIRN: Archbald (sic) 30 ag lab; Betty 25 (which is why I couldn't find them when searching for Archibald and Elizabeth); Walter 3; John 2 Agness (sic) 9m all b ROX.7
Archibald and Elizabeth Fairbairn appeared on the census of 30 Mar 1851 Walkersnow, Par. of Jedburgh, ROX, SCT, as Archibald FAIRBAIRN, head, 43, hedger, b Morebattle; wife Elizabeth, 39 hedger's wife, b Minto; Children: Walter, 13 b Dalton DFS; John 12 b Cavers; Agness (sic) 10 b Wilton; Mary 8 b Walkersnow (all scholars); Andrew 5; Archibald 3; Helen 1 all b Walkersnow.4
The census of 7 Apr 1861 showed Betty with her husband Archibald, their sons Walter, John, Andrew and Archibald, their dtr Helen 10 Bongate, Jedburgh, ROX, SCT, household enumerated as entry reads: FAIRBAIRN: Archibald, head, 53, ag. lab. b Morebattle, ROX; wife Betty, 48, b Minto, ROX. Children: Walter, 23, carpenter, journeyman, b Dalton, DFS; John, 22, woollen mill worker machine cleaner. b Cavers, ROX; Andrew, 15, lab (garden), b Jedburgh; Archibald, 13, woollen mill worker piecer, b Jedburgh; Helen, 11, scholar, b Jedburgh.8
Elizabeth appeared on the census of 7 Apr 1871 9 Bongate, Jedburgh, ROX, SCT, enumerated as FAIRBAIRN: Elizabeth, 59, widowed, former servant, b Minto, ROX; dtr Helen, 21, woollen weaver, b Jedburgh.9
Betty appeared on the census of 3 Apr 1881 9 Old Bongate, Jedburgh, ROX, SCT, enumerated as Betty Fairbairn, 69, widow, b Minto, ROX (living alone). Neighbours also enumerated in 9 Old Bongate include the family of George and Agnes Brown, with a dtr Ann Robson Brown, 1, b Jedburgh, who turned out, upon further investigation, to be Betty's dtr Agnes and her family.2
NamesHer surname was recorded as Howd or Houd.10 Elizabeth Hood was also known as Betty Houd on her marriage, and the dth cert of her husband Archibald.11,5
Elizabeth Hood has also been shown (incorrectly) in records as Elizabeth Henderson in Dec 1904 on the dth cert of her son Walter, should be Houd or Howd.6
All the other infoBetty outlived her husband Archibald Fairbairn who died on 4 Nov 1867.11 Elizabeth Hood and William Hood were possibly related, Wm Hood being married to Ann Fairbairn, and Elizabeth married to Ann's brother Archibald. William was the son of Andrew and Mary Hood, Elizabeth had childen named Andrew and Mary (but not in the right placement for the Scottish naming pattern.)
|Archibald Fairbairn (Mar 1808 - Nov 1867)|
John & Bessie (FFLINT) FAIRBAIRN
|Last Edited||11 Oct 2011|
- Scottish BMDB entries (from 1855), http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/index.php, Dth 1890 Betty HOUD nee FAIRBAIRN, printed Sep 2004.
- 1881 Census transcripts, UK, via Family Search/LDS CDs, FHL Film 0224041 GRO Ref Volume 792 EnumDist 1 Page 2.
- Online search: assorted surnames, International Genealogical Index (IGI), HOOD/HOWD/HOUD births, searched Aug 2003.
- 1851 census, Borders, ROX, Maxton, Melrose, Jedburgh, Southdean, Book 13 p13 via published transcription available NZ National Library, extracted Nov 2003.
- FAIRBAIRN, International Genealogical Index (IGI), Mar. 1835 Archibald FAIRBAIRN to Betty HOUD, batch M117854-?-1067933 (Cavers) and M117827-?-1067932 (Bedrule).
- GRO, SCT, BDM searches at GRO SCT: Dth cert 1904 Walter FAIRBAIRN, trans. Stuart H Jul 2003.
- FreeCensus, UK online at http://www.freecen.org.uk/, 1841 Jedburgh ROX: Piece: SCT1841/792 EnumDist 6 Folio 6 Page 9, extracted Dec 2004.
- CENSUS 1861: Borders ROX/BEW, Jedburgh Dist 792, Enum Dist 5, entry 40.
- 1871 Census, Borders, SCT, Dist 792, Jedburgh, Enum Dist 1, entry #45.
- GRO, SCT, BDM searches at GRO SCT: Mar. cert 1871 Archibald FAIRBAIRN & Isabella DAVIDSON transcr. Robert McC, rcvd Apr 2001.
- Archibald FAIRBAIRN (13611), DC FAIRBAIRN, Archibald 1867, p/copy held.
- GRO, SCT, BDM searches at GRO SCT: Mar. cert. 1864 George BROWN & Agnes FAIRBAIRN trans. Sep 2002 Robert McC.
- GRO, SCT, BDM searches at GRO SCT: Dth cert. 1864 Andrew FAIRBAIRN, trans. Stuart H, May 2001.
- Scottish BMDB entries (from 1855), http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/index.php, Dth 7 Jan 1877 Helen FAIRBAIRN, reg. Jedburgh, ROX Dist 792 Pg 1 #3, copy d/loaded Mar 2008.
E. & O. E. Some/most parish records are rather hard to read and names, places hard to interpret, particularly if you are unfamiliar with an area.