(say March 1783 - May 1842)
|Father||Archibald Fairbairn (say 1760 - bet. 1800 - 1841); no records exist (that I've yet found) to conclusively link this Archibald father/son. Another candidate for his parents would be Archibald Fairbairn and Mary Grierson, but they married a bit later, and were firmly based around Bowden, St Boswells, Southdean and would be hard pushed to fit a son of his 1841 census age in between the other known children. DNA results also support that he is related to Archibald and Mary, but not as closely as others, being a 36/37 match with a known descendant of Archibald and Mary, so I've taken that as further circumstantial evidence that I've placed him in the right family, which the naming pattern of his children supports4|
|Mother||Alison Crosser5 (say 1760 - bet. 1800 - 1841)|
|Relationship||4th great-uncle of Lorna Henderson|
BMDB dataArchibald Fairbairn was estimated to have been born say Mar 1783 in the Par. of Whitsome & Hilton, BEW, SCT, this date being taken from the Whitsome baptism, which may or may not be him.6 It is possible that Archibald Fairbairn was baptized on 16 Mar 1783 Par. of Whitsome & Hilton, BEW, father Archibald was a hynd, resident on the now extinct farm of Whitsome Vaults, no mother mentioned so it may not be this Archibald he belongs too, and although he is a tad earlier than I would expect for someone saying he was 50 in the 1841 census, Archibald and Alison (CROSSER) did have a son (my Walter) who said he was born in Swinton, which is very close. In addition, the 1841 shows that he wasn't born in Roxburghshire, which does add some weight to this theory So on balance, I believe it is highly likely to be this Archibald's baptism.7,1,2 Some sources show Archibald as born bet. 1787 - 1791 BEW?, SCT, this being the likely age from the 1841 census, albeit not always accurate.6
Archibald Fairbairn married Janet Scott on 1 Apr 1810 St Boswells, Par. of St Boswells, ROX, SCT, OPR and igi only give A., but subsequent children's christenings give Archibald as father, so I assume it was Archibald who married Janet.8
Archibald Fairbairn was assumed to have died in May 1842 St Boswells, ROX, SCT, (Janet shows up in 1851 as a widow living with son Walter, and there's a mortcloth payment of 3/- on May 22nd for "Archd Fairbairn" in the St Boswells OPR.)9,10,11 He was buried on 22 May 1842 St Boswells, Par. of St Boswells, ROX, (date assumes the mortcloth was paid for the day he was buried.)11
Census/Where lived/OccupationsIn Feb 1819 Archibald Fairbairn was a steward (place possibly Haspark?) Howpark, Par. of Coldingham, BEW, SCT, when dtr Alison born.15 By 1841 Archibald Fairbairn was a gardener (on son Archibald's marriage cert.)3 He was shown as a land steward on dth cert of dtr Alison in 1876 ?Melrose, ROX, SCT,9 in Oct 1894 he was shown as a farm manager on son Walter's dth cert.16
Archibald Fairbairn and Janet Fairbairn appeared on the census of 7 Jun 1841 Greenwells Glenburney, Par. of Melrose, ROX, SCT, and are assumed to be husband and wife. They were enumerated as Archibald, ag. lab. 50, not b. cty, Janet 40, b cty. Assumed children: John 20, joiner; Helen 25, Walter 15, ag lab; Catharine 12, all but John b cty.6
External linksClick here to see Archibald's page on WikiTree, a (free) collaborative on-line tree.17
Archibald Fairbairn belongs to a DNA tested line. There may be more information available on DNASurnames under the DNA project for his/her surname/line.
|Janet Scott (cir. 1787 - bet. 1851 - 1855)|
John & Bessie (FFLINT) FAIRBAIRN
Ancestors & siblings of Les Henderson
|Last Edited||21 Jun 2015|
- Sanna F Ross (Gaffney), "EM FAIRBAIRN: Borders ex Sanna G," e-mail to Lorna & GenForum FAIRBAIRN, Bap. 1783 Archibald to Archibald, rcvd Oct 2000 (but Sanna thought he belonged to Archibald and Mary (GRIERSON) FAIRBAIRN).
- FAIRBAIRN, International Genealogical Index (IGI).
- Various, BDM Certified copy, Marr. 6 Feb 1841 Archibald s/o Archibald FAIRBAIRN & Jane d/o John BLAKEY, United Secession Ch, Tynemouth, NBL, copy rcvd Feb 2009.
- Lorna Henderson, "FAIRBAIRN Analysis", Feb 2003, Dec 2007 & Mar 2008.
- "Lorna's Family History Musings", Feb 2003, Dec 2007 & Mar 2008, (assumed to be son of Archibald and Alison (CROSSER) FAIRBAIRN purely from naming pattern of children and places. Another researcher has Archibald's parents as Archibald F and Mary GIESSEN. As he appears to have died between 1841 and 1851, we are unlikley to uncover the truth now, but with children called Archibald, Alison, Walter I think there's a fair possibility he "belongs" to my lot, especially his age in the 1841 census makes his birth year somewhat later than that of the son of Archibald and Mary, even allowing for the rounding in that census).
- 1841 Census, Borders, SCT, LDS Film, Melrose Dist 6 p14.
- BEW: Whitsome 1-place study: Lesley R online at http://homepages.ipact.nl/~robertson/, Bap. 1783 Archibald s/o Archibald (hynd, resident Whitsome Vaults), extract rcvd Dec 2007.
- Births marriages OPR index: ROX, SCT.
- Alison CHISHOLM (nee FAIRBAIRN), Dth 1876 Alison CHISHOLM (nee FAIRBAIRN), Darnick, Melrose, ROX 799 #36.
- Susan A McLEOD (30189), "EM FAIRBAIRN/COCKBURN ex Susan McL," e-mail to (1), 1851 ROX census, rcvd May 2002.
- Scottish BMDB entries (to 1854), http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/index.php, Mortcloth 22 May 1842 Archd Fairbairn, St Boswells, 804/00 0255, copy d/loaded May 2009.
- Sanna F Ross (Gaffney), "EM FAIRBAIRN: Borders ex Sanna G," e-mail to Lorna & GenForum FAIRBAIRN, Rcvd Feb 2003.
- Lorna Henderson, "FAIRBAIRN Analysis", Dec 2007, updated Feb 2009, and again Apr and May 2009.
- FAIRBAIRN Surname DNA Project online at https://www.familytreedna.com/public/fairbairn, 12/12 match between descendants of Archibald and Janet (SCOTT) FAIRBAIRN and of Robert and Martha Almira (HUSTON) FAIRBAIRN, rcvd Apr 2009.
- Baptisms: Coldingham, BEW, Birth 1819 Alison FAIRBAIRN, transc. L McIntosh Sep/Oct 1994.
- GRO, SCT, BDM searches at GRO SCT: Dth 1894 Walter FAIRBAIRN. Mertoun, BEW Dist 751 #7, trans. Robert McC, rcvd Dec 2001.
- WikiTree online at http://WikiTree.com/, Oct-11.
- Scottish BMDB entries (to 1854), http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/index.php, Birth 12 Feb 1811 Helen d/o Archbald FAIRBAIRN, Houden, Par. of Ancrum, ROX Dist 780/0010 0195, copy d/loaded Jun 2008.
- Scottish BMDB entries (to 1854), http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/index.php, Birth 2 Aug Bap. 29 Aug 1813 Archibald s/o Archibald FAIRBAIRN (Lessudden) and Janet SCOTT, Par. 804 0010 0150 St Boswells, copy d/loaded Apr 2009.
- Scottish BMDB entries (to 1854), http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/index.php, Birth 23 Jun Bap. 16 Jul 1815 John s/o Archibald FAIRBAIRN & Janet SCOTT, Lessudden, ROX, 804/00 0010 0162, copy d/loaded Apr 2015.
- GRO, SCT, BDM searches at GRO SCT: Death cert John F 1890 trans. S Hepburn July 2001.
E. & O. E. Some/most parish records are rather hard to read and names, places hard to interpret, particularly if you are unfamiliar with an area.