(2 August 1813 - between 1861 and 1871)
|Father||Archibald Fairbairn4,3,5 (say Mar 1783 - May 1842)|
|Mother||Janet Scott6 (cir. 1787 - bet. 1851 - 1855)|
|Relationship||1st cousin 4 times removed of Lorna Henderson|
BMDB dataArchibald Fairbairn was born on 2 Aug 1813 Lessudden, Par. of St Boswells, ROX, SCT.7,8,3,6 He was baptized on 29 Aug 1813 St Boswells, ROX, SCT; entry shows "Archibald Fairbairn son of Archibald Fairbairn labourer Lessudden and Janet Scott his wife was Born Augt 2nd 1813 and Baptised August 29 1813 in the Church."3,9,6 Some sources show Archibald as born DUR, ENG, (from the 1851 Eng census, but the place is incorrect by most other sources.)10
Archibald Fairbairn married Jane Blakey, daughter of John Blakey, on 6 Feb 1841 at the United Secession Ch, Tynemouth, Dist of Tynemouth, NBL, ENG, cert. shows Archibald as a blacksmith s/o Archibald Fairbairn, a gardener; Jane as d/o John Blakey, waggon[maker?]. Both of full age and resid. Cowpen Colliery. Secession Church but rites and ceremones of the Presbyterian Ch of Scotland; Wit: Joseph Armstrong and Mary Ann Carmichael; Archibald signed, Jane her mark. Minister David Carmichael.4,1,11,2
Archibald Fairbairn was assumed to have died bet. 1861 - 1871 ?Caledon, Peel Co., ONT, CAN, presumably between 1861 and 1868 as not obvious 1869+ in ONT dths (registration started 1869), and is in 1861 census. No death registration was found in either Scotland or England.12,13,14
MigrationArchibald Fairbairn and Jane Blakey emigrated in 1851 to ONT, CAN; (from son Archibald's census data, 1851 in 1901, 1853 in 1911.)17,18
Census/Where lived/OccupationsArchibald Fairbairn appeared on the census of 1841 Horton, Castle (East Division), NBL, ENG, with Jane Fairbairn, as BLAKEY: John 55 husbandman b Cty; FAIRBAIRN: Archibald B.S. (assumed to mean blacksmith) 25 b SCT; Jane 25 b Cty; Also William BLAKEY 10 and CHARLTON (NB enumerators were instructed to round ages down to the nearest multiple of 5.)7
Archibald Fairbairn was shown as the head of the household in the census of 1851 at the South Port Houses, Cowpen, Dist of Tynemouth, NBL, ENG, with Jane enumerated as FAIRBAIRN: Archibald 38 blacksmith b Durham; Wife Jane 37 b Cowpen, NBL; Children (all b Cowpen): William 15 coal miner, Jane 10, Archibald 7, John 5 all scholars, Helen 3; Lodgers GRAY, William Batty 25 unm coal miner b NBL.10
Archibald Fairbairn was shown as the head of the household in the census of 1861 Caledon, Peel Co, ONT, CAN, with Jane enumerated as FAIRBURN: Archibald 48 blacksmith b SCT ; Jane 47 "spinster" (!) b SCT, both F.C. Assumed children: Jane 20 b ENG, Archibald 18 blacksmith b ENG; John 15 b ENG; Barbra (sic) 10 b ENG; Walter 3, Robert 2 both b U.C. Living in a one storey frame hse, as 1 family.14
NamesArchibald Fairbairn has also been shown (incorrectly) in records as Arron Fairbairn in 1923 but I believe that to be a mistranscription from son Walter's dth cert.19
External linksClick here to see Archibald's page on WikiTree, a (free) collaborative on-line tree.20
Archibald Fairbairn belongs to a DNA tested line. There may be more information available on DNASurnames under the DNA project for his/her surname/line.
|Jane Blakey (cir. 1814 - Feb 1889)|
John & Bessie (FFLINT) FAIRBAIRN
|Last Edited||21 Jun 2015|
- Ancestry.com online at http://search.ancestry.com, Marr. 3 Jul 1871 Archibald (s/o Archibald & Jane FAIRBAIRN) & Mary Jane (d/o Thos Mary & Ann CAVENA) roll MS932_4, York, ONT, from Ontario, Canada Marriages 1857-1924, extracted Dec 2007.
- Ancestry.com online at http://search.ancestry.com, Marr. 30 Dec 1897 Walter s/o Archibald & Jessie FAIRBAIRN, & Adaline d/o Alane VROOMAN & Caroline MAIN, Wellington Cty, ONT, FHL Film MS932_97, from Ontario, Canada Marraiges, 1857-1924, extracted May 2008.
- Births marriages OPR index: ROX, SCT.
- Various, BDM Certified copy, Marr. 6 Feb 1841 Archibald s/o Archibald FAIRBAIRN & Jane d/o John BLAKEY, United Secession Ch, Tynemouth, NBL, copy rcvd Feb 2009.
- Scottish BMDB entries (to 1854), http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/index.php, Birth 2 Aug Bap. 29 Aug 1813 Archibald s/o Archibald FAIRBAIRN (Lessudden) and Janet SCOTT, Par. 804 0010 0150 St Boswells, copy d/loaded Apr 2009.
- Scottish BMDB entries (from 1855), http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/index.php, Birth 2 Aug Bap. 29 Aug 1813 Archibald s/o Archibald FAIRBAIRN (Lessudden) and Janet SCOTT, Par. 804 0010 0150 St Boswells, copy d/loaded Apr 2009.
- 1841 Census images, England & Wales, via Ancestry.com, Horton, Castle (East Division) Hundred, NBL HO107/821/4 ED 6 F 16 Pg 25, hsehold of John BLAKEY, extracted Dec 2007.
- Census image, Canada, via Ancestry.com, 1891 Sub Dist Stisted & McMurrich, Dist Muskoka & Parry Sound, ONT Dist 95 Roll T-6355, family of Archibald & Mary Jane FAIRBAIRN, extracted Feb 2009.
- Sanna F Ross (Gaffney), "EM FAIRBAIRN: Borders ex Sanna G," e-mail to Lorna & GenForum FAIRBAIRN, Oct 2000.
- 1851 Census images, England & Wales, via Ancestry.com, Par. of Cowpen, Sub Dist Earsdon, Dist Tynemouth, NBL, HO107/2412 F 414 ED 2b Pg 55 Sched 194, hsehold of Archibald & Jane FAIRBAIRN, extracted Jun 2008.
- Www FreeBMD ENG online at http://freebmd.rootsweb.com/cgi/search.pl, Marr. 1841 Archibald FAIRBAIRN & Jane BLAKEY or SMITH, reg. Tynemouth, Mar qtr 25/361, extracted Dec 2007.
- Online search: assorted surnames, International Genealogical Index (IGI), 1881 Orangeville, Wellington Centre, ONT FHL Film 1375895 NA Film C-13259 Dist 152 Sub Dist A Div 1 Pg 31 hsehold 157, hsehold of Jane FARABURN (as indexed), extracted Feb 2009.
- Census image, Canada, via Ancestry.com, 1871 Erin, Wellington Center, ONT, M'film roll C-9947 Div 2 Pg 20, hoh Jane FAIRBURN, (59 b ENG), extracted Feb 2009.
- Census image, Canada, via Ancestry.com, 1861 Caledon, Peel, Ontario; Roll: C-1063, hsehold of Archibald & Jane FAIRBURN, extracted Aug 2009.
- Lorna Henderson, "FAIRBAIRN Analysis", Dec 2007, updated Feb 2009, and again Apr and May 2009.
- FAIRBAIRN Surname DNA Project online at http://worldfamilies.net/surnames/fairbairn/results.html, 12/12 match between descendants of Archibald and Janet (SCOTT) FAIRBAIRN and of Robert and Martha Almira (HUSTON) FAIRBAIRN, rcvd Apr 2009.
- Census image, Canada, via Ancestry.com, 1901 Sub Dist Ryerson, Dist of Muskoka & Parry Sound, ONT Dist 91 Sub Dist N1-2 Family 56, hsehold of Archibald & Mary J FAIRBAIRN, extracted Jun 2008.
- Census image, Canada, via Ancestry.com, 1911 Dist Parry Sount, ONT Dist 108 Sub Dist 24 Pg 3 Family 21, hsehold of Archie & Mary FAIRBAIRN, extracted Feb 2009.
- Online search: assorted surnames, International Genealogical Index (IGI), Dth 12 May 1923 Walter s/o Arron (as transcr) FAIRBAIRN & BLAKLEY, b 22 Aug 1859 Britannia ONT d. Orangeville, Dufferin, ONT, from Ontario Deaths, 1869-1947, film 1976687 GS#4171026 Image 84 ref 4171026, extracted Jan 2009.
- WikiTree online at http://WikiTree.com/, Oct-11.
- Ancestry.com online at http://search.ancestry.com, Dth 24 Mar 1913 Archibald s/o Archibald FAIRBURN, & Jane ?Plelelur?McMurrich Township, Parry Sound Dist, ONT, from Ontario, Canada Deaths, 1869-1934, extracted Mar 2008.
- "Lorna's Family History Musings", Feb 2009.
- Ancestry.com online at http://search.ancestry.com, Marr. 15 Aug 1883 Robert FAIRBAIRN & Martha Almira HUSTON, FHL Film MS932_42, Dufferin, ONT, extracted Jun 2008.
E. & O. E. Some/most parish records are rather hard to read and names, places hard to interpret, particularly if you are unfamiliar with an area.