(circa December 1782 - after March 1828)
|Father||James McEwan2 (cir. Aug 1745 - aft. 1788)|
|Mother||Margaret Fisher2 (Apr 1753 - )|
|Relationship||3rd great-grandmother of Lorna Henderson|
BMDB dataMargaret McEwan (W) was born cir. Dec 1782 Drip Moss, Par. of Kincardine by Doune, PER, SCT, (assumes "Dryst", is actually Drip, given other events for the family are clearly noted as Drip.)2 She was baptized on 22 Dec 1782 Par. of Kincardine, PER, SCT; Margt Daugr to James McEwen and (blank) Dryst.2,3
Margaret McEwan (W) married Archibald Henderson on 28 Oct 1804 Stirling, STI, SCT, Banns called Stirling and Kincardine by Doune, Perth: "Archibald of Stirling Parish, Margaret of Kincardine by Doune."1,4,5
Margaret Henderson died aft. Mar 1828 probably in ?STI, SCT; according to family lore both parents "..died while James and 2 brothers were still infants". Still alive to take possession of Archibald's estate in Mar 1828, which would make the youngest proven child, John, 11.6,7,8
Wills/bequestsMargaret McEwan (W) witnessed the Inventory of Archibald Henderson on 25 Mar 1828 Bridge of Allan, Par. of Logie, STI/PER, SCT; The SCAN index reads: Henderson Archibald 25/3/1828 Smith, at Bridge of Allan, husband of Margaret McGwan or McEwan Stirling Sheriff Court. The actual document is an Inventory taken 25 Mar 1828 of the "personal estate of Archibald Henderson Smith at Bridge of Allan who died on the sixteenth day of February eighteen hundred and twenty six say eighteen hundred and twenty six".
Estate consisted of: cash in house 6d; and assorted debts owed to the deceased for work totalling approx. £188, valuation being signed by Margaret Henderson and John Fraser
"At Stirling the twenty eight day of Mar 1828 in presence of John Fraser Esq Commisary Depute of the Commissariat of Stirling appeared Mrs Margaret McEwan or Henderson the widow and executrix of the deceased Archibald Henderson Smith at Bridge of Allan who being solemnly sworn and examined deposes that the said Archibald Henderson died intestate upon the sixteenth day of February 1826 that the deponent is about to enter upon the possession and management of the deceased personal estate as executrix qua relict That the deponent knows of no settlement or other wording left by the deceased relative to the disposal of his personal estate of effects or any part of them ...."
Signed by Margaret Henderson (ie not as McEwan) and John Fraser as being valued between 100 and 200 pounds "All which is truth as the Deponent shall answer to God."6
External linksClick here to see Margaret's page on WikiTree, a (free) collaborative on-line tree.10
Margaret McEwan (W) belongs to a DNA tested line. There may be more information available on DNASurnames under the DNA project for his/her surname/line.
|Archibald Henderson (say 1780 - Feb 1826)|
|Charts||My pedigree chart|
Ancestors & siblings of Les Henderson
Paternal ancestors of Lorna
Descendants of William McEWAN and Margaret GRAY
|Last Edited||3 Mar 2016|
- James HENDERSON, DC: HENDERSON, James 1892, Folio #1636/1892 Inspection p/copy held, dated & rcvd Aug 1993.
- PER, SCT OPR: Kincardine: Kincardine, PER, SCT, McEWAN/FISHER baptisms, extracted Sep 1994.
- Online search: assorted surnames, International Genealogical Index (IGI), McEWAN Batch C113644 Aug 2001.
- Yvonne BEAN, "HENDERSON's at Stirling, STI, SCT," e-mail to L McIntosh, 10 Feb 1994.
- Birth marriage death: St Ninians, STI, Marriage 1804 HENDERSON/McEWAN OPR district 490/4 Frame 1008.
- WILL HENDERSON, Archibald, Smith Bridge of Allan (1828 Inventory) (25 Mar 1828) Stirling Sheriff's Court: Scanned copy held by L McIntosh, Feb 2003.
- Letter, Amelia Jane HARBOUR nee HENDERSON to Earl HENDERSON, 22 Jul 1957, Found in effects of Amelia Harbour nee Henderson. In possession of L McIntosh Mar 2002.
- WILL: Scottish Wills - SctPeople/SCAN project by initially from the SCAN project online at http://ScotlandsPeople.gov.uk, Extracted from index Apr 2002.
- FamilyTree DNA, "FamilyTree DNA", mtDNA Full sequence results and matches, rcvd Nov 2012.
- WikiTree online at http://WikiTree.com/, Oct-11.
- OPR Index to births christenings marriages: PER, SCT (1805).
- FamilyTree DNA, "FamilyTree DNA", atDNA results for descendant of Margaret d/o William & Margaret (SINCLAIR) HENDERSON, rcvd Feb 2016.
- Births marriages: Lecropt, PER, Bap. 1808 Margaret HENDERSON, extracted Sep 1994.
- Linda HANKS, "EM HENDERSON/McGREGOR ex Linda H," e-mail to L Henderson (1), Dth 1886 Margaret McGREGOR nee HENDERSON, reg. Dunfermline pg 131 #391, copy rcvd May 2006.
- Births marriages: Lecropt, PER, Bap. 1813 James HENDERSON, extracted Sep 1994.
- Births marriages: Lecropt, PER, Bap. 1815 Archibald HENDERSON, extracted Sep 1994.
- Scottish BMDB entries (from 1855), http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/index.php, Dth 1869 Archibald HENDERSON, Glasgow, LKS, copy d/loaded Sep 2006.
- Births marriages: Lecropt, PER, Bap. 1817 John HENDERSON, extracted Sep 1994.
- Births marriages: Lecropt, PER, Bap. 1820-22 ?Archibald? HENDERSON, extracted Sep 1994.
E. & O. E. Some/most parish records are rather hard to read and names, places hard to interpret, particularly if you are unfamiliar with an area.