(23 September 1817 - 31 March 1901)
|Father||Archibald Henderson2 (say 1780 - Feb 1826)|
|Mother||Margaret McEwan (W)2 (cir. Dec 1782 - aft. Mar 1828)|
|Relationship||3rd great-uncle of Lorna Henderson|
BMDB dataJohn Henderson was born on 23 Sep 1817 Bridge of Allan, Lecropt, STI, SCT.2,3 He was christened in 1817 Lecropt, PER, SCT; no date given in register, Wit: William Stevenson and James Henderson (could he be a brother of John's father Archibald?).2 Some sources show John as born cir. 1818 Logie, STI/PER, SCT, (1851 Lanarkshire census.)4
John Henderson married Isabella Berry say 1842 ?SCT (there's a marriage in the Clackmannan OPR for a John HENDERSON & Isabella BENNIE in 1842, which may, or may not be this couple, if a grandson misheard his grandmother's surname for reporting a death in 1901.
(It shows John as of the Parish of Dollar)
In addition there's a patron submission for a Margaret dtr of a John HENDERSON and Isobella BINNIE, shown as born 1847 and dying in 1917, so with this John & Isabella's dtr Margaret being of this age, and still alive in 1910, and married to a Thomas Binnie, perhaps she married a cousin?)1,5
John Henderson died on 31 Mar 1901 Hamilton, Wentworth Co., ONT, CAN, at age 83; entry (2nd of two) shows John as 83, marr., blacksmith b SCT, (1st has no occ. and gives address as 149 ?Hessn?) cod gangrene of foot 3 mos.6
MigrationJohn Henderson and Isabella Henderson immigrated in 1855 to ONT, CAN; given the 1901 census shows both John and dtr Isabella as emigrating in 1855, I assume they did so as a family of at least also Margaret, Janet, Archibald and Annie (Helen hasn't yet been found beyond 1851.)8,9
Census/Where lived/OccupationsJohn Henderson appeared on the census of 1841 Dollar, CLK, SCT, as John HENDERSON, 30, smith b. outside county, in hsehold of John & Amelia MUNRO & family, John a wright 50 b CLK as were the children, Amelia 50 b outside cty (assumed to be nee REID); 3 others of different surname in hsehold with a census enumerator possibly passing a value judgement on the occupation of one, Alexander STEWART fiddler, with vocalist apparently crossed out. The others were a Robert McDONALD, teacher of dancing, and a 4 yr old Amelia TAYLOR (NB enumerators were instructed to round ages down to the nearest multiple of 5.)10
John Henderson was shown as the head of the household in the census of 1851 Mcgregor's Land, Bishopbriggs, Par. of Cadder, LKS, SCT, with Isabella enumerated as HENDERSON: John 33 blacksmith b Logie, PER; wife Isabella 37 b Tillicoultry, CLK; Children: Helen 10, Isabella 7, both scholars, Margaret & Janet 4 all b Tillicoultry, CLK; Archibald 1 b Cadder, LKS.4
John Henderson appeared on the census of 1861 Galt, Waterloo Co., ONT, CAN, with Isabella Henderson, enumerated as HENDERSON: Jno 42 marr. blacksmith; wife Isaba 45 marr; assumed children: Margt 15, Archd 12, Ann 8, Isaba 18, Janet 15 All b SCT, Scotch, Presby. (Isabella also being enumarated with her cousin William McGREGOR at Galt, which is how come I even found this whole branch of the family.)11
The census of 1871 showed John with his wife Isabella, their dtrs Janet and Annie St Andrews Ward, Hamilton, ONT, CAN, household enumerated as HENDERSON: Jno 52 blacksmith; Isabella 52 both b SCT; Assumed children: Janet 23, Archd 21 machinist, Annie 17; All b SCT, Presby.12
The census of 1881 showed John with his wife Isabella Ward 4, Hamilton City, ONT, CAN, nearby was Isabella Gibson household enumerated as HENDERSON: John 59 blacksmith b SCT; wife Isabella 65 b SCT; Next hsehold: GIBSON: Isabella 36 widow b SCT; Annie 7, Archibald 5 Robert 2 all b US, "Irish."13
John Henderson was shown as the head of the household in the census of 23 Apr 1891 Hamilton City, ONT, with Isabella enumerated as HENDERSON: John 65 blacksmith; wife Isabella 70 both b SCT, Presby.14 John Henderson appeared on the census of 24 Apr 1901 Hamilton City, ONT, as father of Isabella Henderson which was a tad interesting as he had died a couple of weeks earlier!8
All the other infoJohn outlived his wife Isabella Berry who died on 11 Feb 1893.15
External linksClick here to see John's page on WikiTree, a (free) collaborative on-line tree.16
|Isabella Berry (cir. 1816 - Feb 1893)|
|Charts||Ancestors & siblings of Les Henderson|
Descendants of William McEWAN and Margaret GRAY
|Last Edited||10 Aug 2019|
- Ancestry.com online at http://search.ancestry.com, Marr. 7 Jul 1863 Isabelle d/o John & Isabella HENDERSON to Robert s/o Robert & Sarah GIBSON, Galt, Waterloo, ONT, from Ontario, Canada Marriages, 1801-1926, MS248_16, extracted Aug 2010.
- Births marriages: Lecropt, PER, Bap. 1817 John HENDERSON, extracted Sep 1994.
- (Ancestry/Family Search), Ontario, Canada Deaths, 1869-1938: Dth 6 Jul 1913 (Dundas) Annie REID, b/ 22 Oct 1858 (Glasgow) d/o John HENDERSON (b. Bridge of Allan) & Isabella BINNIE (b. Clackmannan), extracted Aug 2019.
- 1851 Census transcripts, Scotland, via Ancestry.com, McGregor's Land, Bishopbriggs, Par. of Cadder, LKS Par. 626 ED 3 Pg 13 Sched 64, hsehold of John & Isabella HENDERSON, extracted Aug 2010.
- Scottish BMDB entries (from 1855), http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/index.php, Marr. 4 Jan 1842 John HENDERSON (of Dollar, CLK) & Isabella BENNIE (Clackmannan, CLK), recorded Clackmannan, CLK 466/ 0070 0128, copy d/loaded Aug 2010.
- Ancestry.com online at http://search.ancestry.com, Dth 31 Mar 1901 John HENDERSON, aged 83, blacksmith, from Ontario, Canada, Deaths, 1869-1936, MS935_104, copy d/loaded Aug 2010.
- "Lorna's Family History Musings", Aug 2010, updated Sep 2011.
- Census image, Canada, via Ancestry.com, 1901 Hamilton (City/Cité) Ward/Quartier No 4, Hamilton (City/Cité), Ontario. Page 13, Family No: 132, hsehold of Isabella GIBSON, extracted Aug 2010.
- "Lorna's Family History Musings", Aug 2010.
- FreeCensus, UK online at http://www.freecen.org.uk/, Dollar, CLK, SCT1841/467 ED 4 F 4 Pg 6, hsehold of John & Amelia MUNRO, extracted Sep 2011.
- Census image, Canada, via Ancestry.com, 1861 Galt, Waterloo, Canada West; Roll: C-1077; Page: 61, hsehold of Jno & Isaba HENDERSON, extracted Aug 2010.
- Census image, Canada, via Ancestry.com, 1871 St Andrews Ward, Hamilton, Ontario; Roll: C-9927; Page: 2; Family No: 9, hsehold of Jno & Isabella HENDERSON, extracted Aug 2010.
- Census image, Canada, via Ancestry.com, 1881 Ward 4, Hamilton City, Ontario. Dist 149 Sub Dist D Div 2 Roll: C_13257, Page 31, Family No: 147, hsehold of John & Isabela HENDERSON, 148, hsehold of Isabella GIBSON, extracted Aug 2010.
- Census image, Canada, via Ancestry.com, 1891 Ward 4, Hamilton City, Ontario. Roll: T-6341, Family No: 108, hsehold of John & Isabella HENDERSON, extracted Aug 2010.
- Ancestry.com online at http://search.ancestry.com, Dth 11 Feb 1893 Isabella HENDERSON, aged 77, b. SCT, from Ontario, Canada, Deaths, 1869-1936, MS935_66,extracted Aug 2010.
- WikiTree online at http://WikiTree.com/, Jul 2013.
- 1851 Census (images for ENG, transcriptions for SCT), UK, via Ancestry.com, McGregor's Land, Bishopbriggs, Par. of Cadder, LKS Par. 626 ED 3 Pg 13 Sched 64, hsehold of John & Isabella HENDERSON, extracted Aug 2010.
E. & O. E. Some/most parish records are rather hard to read and names, places hard to interpret, particularly if you are unfamiliar with an area.