(say 1751 - after 1784)
|Father||James Finlayson (bef. 1731 - ); (Did I just assume the witness at her marriage was her father, or is there some proof somewhere of her father being James, other than naming pattern of children?)2|
|Relationship||5th great-grandmother of Lorna Henderson|
BMDB dataIsabella Finlayson was estimated to have been born say 1751 ?Clayach, Par. of Bower, CAI, SCT.
Isabella Finlayson married William Taylor, son of William Taylor and Janet Smith, on 8 Dec 1771 Par. of Bower, CAI, SCT, entry reads: Dec 8th 1771.William Taylor & Isobel Finlayson both of Clayach gave in their names as matrimonially contracted in order to have proclamation of banns. As cautioners William Taylor for the man and James Finlayson for the woman (assumed to be respective fathers given the naming pattern of the subsequent children.)3
Isabella Finlayson died aft. 1784 ?Clayoch, Par. of Bower, CAI, SCT.1
Census/Where lived/OccupationsFr Oct 1772 - Mar 1784 Isabella Finlayson and William Taylor were living Clayach, Par. of Bower, CAI, SCT, where Clayock is variously spelt Clayach, Clayack, Cleog and Clayock.4
NamesAs of Mar 1784, Isabella was also known as Isobel.4
All the other infoIsabella Finlayson and James Finlayson of Clayach, Par. of Bower, CAI, SCT, were possibly related, The "I F 1768" commemorated on the tomb of James Finlayson, tenant of Cleac cannot be my Isabella as she married in 1771, but it is highly likely there is some connection.5 Isabella Finlayson is a potential duplicate of Isobell Findleson; Isobell was chr 1750, Bower, d/o James Findleson, naming pattern for William and Isabella's children indicate her father was James. Isabella Finlayson is a potential duplicate of Isabella Finlayson; one christened 16 Oct 1750, Bower, d/o James Finlayson and Bessie Teat who married in 1715, and the other marrying William Taylor in 1777, both of Clayach. However, unless Bessie was rather younger than 20 when she married James, she would be 55 by the time Isabella was christened in 1750. Apart from this minor (!) glitch, this couple are of the right place and time, ie James of Clayag, and fit the naming pattern of Wiliam and Isabella's children well.5,6
Isabella Finlayson and Elizabeth Finlayson of Bower, CAI, SCT, in 1774 were possibly related as Elizabeth's husband James Waites witnessed chr of Isobel's son James.4
Clayock is derived from (Gaelic) Cliathach = slope; or (Norse) hlith-akr = hillside field. Also reported as Claok 1561, Cloak 1561-6.7
External linksClick here to see Isabella's page on WikiTree, a (free) collaborative on-line tree.8
|William Taylor (cir. Mar 1749 - aft. 1799)|
|Charts||My pedigree chart|
Ancestors & siblings of Les Henderson
Paternal ancestors of Lorna
My Caithness ancestors
|Last Edited||20 Jun 2019|
- William TAYLOR, DC TAYLOR, William 1860 Halkirk.
- Births marriages deaths: Wick, CAI, SCT, Mar. 1771 William TAYLOR Isabella FINLAYSON, extracted Sep/Oct 1994/5.
- Marriages Baptisms: Bower, CAI, SCT, Marr. 1771 William TAYLOR Isabella FINLAYSON, extracted Sep/Oct 1994/5.
- Marriages Baptisms: Bower, CAI, SCT, TAYLOR/FINLAYSON baptisms, trans. by L McIntosh 1994.
- "Lorna's Family History Musings", Dec 2003.
- Birth baptism marriage: Watten, CAI Dist 43/2, Mar. 1715 James FINLAYSON to Bessie TEAT, extracted Dec 2003.
- Misc. corres. and web searches, CAI, SCT Origins of Caithness Placenames: http://www.btinternet.com/~murray.groat/Sinclair/…, extracted Aug 2003.
- WikiTree online at http://WikiTree.com/, Oct 2011.
- J ROSE, "EM TAYLOR, Wm Henderson," e-mail to L McIntosh, Jan 1999, Rcvd Aug 2008.
- Marriages Baptisms: Bower, CAI, SCT, Bap. 26 May 1774 James s/o William TAYLOR & Isobel FINLASYON, of Clayoch, Bower, CAI, transcribed L McIntosh 1994.
- BDM: CAI, 1861 Film 224395, Dth 1861 Donald TAYLOR, extracted Apr 1994.
E. & O. E. Some/most parish records are rather hard to read and names, places hard to interpret, particularly if you are unfamiliar with an area.