(circa August 1776 - 9 July 1861)
|Father||William Taylor2,1,3 (cir. Mar 1749 - aft. 1799)|
|Mother||Isabella Finlayson3 (say 1751 - aft. 1784)|
|Relationship||5th great-uncle of Lorna Henderson|
BMDB dataDonald Taylor was born cir. Aug 1776 Clayock, Par. of Bower, CAI, SCT, Donald's age varies with each surviving record, baptised Aug 1776, 1841 census and Donald's age when he enlisted in the 79th at Cork, imply 1772, both 1851 and 1861 census records imply c 1774 instead, and his dth cert says 83 in 1861, implying 1778. Given William's father is highly likely to be William and Isabella's James, that positions William and James ahead of Donald, so I'm going for the baptism year.1,4,5,6,7,8,9 He was christened on 18 Aug 1776 Bower, CAI, SCT; Entry reads: Aug 18th 1776: William Taylor in Clayock had by his wife Isobel Finlayson a child baptised, his name Donald. Wit. Donald Taylor, John Mon (?)2,1
Donald Taylor married Christina Macleod on 28 Jul 1821 Halkirk, Par. of Halkirk, CAI, SCT.10,11
Donald Taylor died on 9 Jul 1861 Halkirk Village, Par. of Halkirk, CAI, SCT; cert shows Donald as a Chelsea Pensioner, died 9pm, age 83, of natural decay, inf. Donald, nephew (assumed to be brother William's son from second marriage.)3,10
Census/Where lived/OccupationsDonald Taylor appeared on the census of 7 Jun 1841 Calder, Par. of Halkirk, CAI, SCT, with Christina Taylor, enumerated as TAYLOR: Donald 68, ind., Christina ditto 48. Also Isabella Graham 13, Janet Sinclair 8.8
Donald Taylor was shown as the head of the household in the census of 30 Mar 1851 Calder, Par. of Halkirk, CAI, with Christina enumerated as TAYLOR: Donald pensioner, 77 b Bower; wife Christina 58 b Halkirk.4
The census of 7 Apr 1861 showed Donald with his wife Christina Sinclair St, Halkirk, Par. of Halkirk, CAI, SCT, household enumerated as TAYLOR: Donald, head, mar, 84, pensioner, b Bower; wife Christy, 67, b Halkirk.5
MilitaryDonald Taylor was in military service fr 1795 - 1818 in both the Caithness Legion Fencible Cavalry and the 79th Foot. However, if the 1795 start date is correct, this is more likely to be the Caithness Highlanders, raised by Sir John Sinclair as a 2nd Battalian to complement the Caithness Fencibles raised in 1794. The Highlanders were immediately sent to Ireland "where they did duty, in camp and barracks, during the whole period of the Rebellion", returning to Scotland in 1802 when they were disbanded. Donald however had switched to the 79th in 1800.6,12 He enlisted in the 79th Regiment of Foot on 27 Jul 1800 Cork, IRL, aged 27, labourer by occupation, born Bower, Caithness.6 He ended military service on 18 May 1818 discharged as a consequence of being "worn out" which isn't surprising. His discharge papers show him as born Bower, CAI, and aged 45 in 1818. He saw service in Egypt, Copenhagen, Flushing, Toulouse, France and Waterloo, so I wonder if coming home to Halkirk was a relief or a bit of a quiet come-down?6
All the other infoDonald Taylor and Christina Macleod executed a deed on 9 Jul 1825 Wick, CAI, SCT, A mutual dispositon ...Christian MacLeod before designed who declares she cannot write as never having been taught, we.....Signed Rob Rose, Alexr Barnetson, Will Manson, Will Doull, John Murray, Will Bremner.10
External linksClick here to see Donald's page on WikiTree, a (free) collaborative on-line tree.13
|Christina Macleod (cir. 1793 - aft. 1866)|
|Charts||Ancestors & siblings of Les Henderson|
|Last Edited||11 Aug 2015|
- Marriages Baptisms: Bower, CAI, SCT, Bap. 1776 Donald to William TAYLOR & Isobel FINLAYSON, extracted c 1993.
- TAYLOR, International Genealogical Index (IGI), Bap. 1776 Donald to William TAYLOR & Isobel FINLAYSON, batch C110342, Bower, extracted c 1993.
- BDM: CAI, 1861 Film 224395, Dth 1861 Donald TAYLOR, extracted Apr 1994.
- 1851 Census transcripts, Scotland, via Ancestry.com, Halkirk, CAI Par. 37 ED 9 Pg 10 Sched 30, hsehold of Donald & Christina TAYLOR, extracted Apr 2007.
- 1861 Census, CAI, SCT, Dist 37 Enum Dist 1 Page 3 Entry #22, extracted Sep 2003.
- Roger NIXON, "PRO Military Researches (http://genealogypro.com/pro-army-navy-research.html)," e-mail to Lorna Henderson, Email report on 1795-1818 service of Donald TAYLOR in the Caithness Highlanders (or Caithness Legion Fencibles) and the 79th Regt of Foot, rcvd Aug 2001.
- Roger NIXON, "PRO Military Researches (http://genealogypro.com/pro-army-navy-research.html)," e-mail to Lorna Henderson, WO97 index.
- 1841 Census, CAI, SCT, Halkirk Dist 3 p1 #4 ex Mellor films, extracted Sep 1994.
- "Lorna's Family History Musings", Aug 2008.
- CAI: Wick, Reg. of Deeds, SC14/40/7: Index of Defuncts: CAI p584 8 May 1866 and p585 9 Jul 1825, extracted Sep 1994.
- TAYLOR, International Genealogical Index (IGI), Marr. 1821 Donald TAYLOR and Christian McLEOD, Batch M110375, Halkirk, extracted c 1993.
- James T Calder, Calder's History of Caithness, Caithness Fencible & the Caithness Highlanders, Chapter 12, pp 211-3, extracted Apr 2007.
- WikiTree online at http://WikiTree.com/, Oct 2011.
E. & O. E. Some/most parish records are rather hard to read and names, places hard to interpret, particularly if you are unfamiliar with an area.