(circa April 1836 - 30 November 1883)
|Father||John Andrews3,4,2 (cir. May 1809 - cir. Jun 1845)|
|Mother||Tabitha Hunt4,2 (Dec 1809 - Feb 1865)|
|Relationship||1st cousin 3 times removed of Lorna Henderson|
BMDB dataMary Ann Andrews was born cir. Apr 1836 Odcombe, SOM, ENG.5 She was baptized on 3 Apr 1836 Odcombe, Diocese of Bath & Wells, SOM, ENG; Mary Ann d/o John (labourer) & Tabitha Andrews in Odcombe.5,2,6
Mary Ann Andrews married Ebenezer G Griffin, son of John Griffin and Elizabeth Trask, on 26 Aug 1855 St Barnabas Ch, Par. of St Luke's, London, MDX, ENG, Cert3 reads: Ebenezer of full age, baker (as was his father John); Mary Ann also of full age, spinster, d/o John Andrews, coachman. Both were resident Bunhill Hill Row, both signed the register, witnesses appear not to be related (Janice speculates that possibly this was an elopement). They had twelve children3, 3 dying before reaching the age of five (Eva, Ambrosine and Ambrose.)3,2
Mary died on 30 Nov 1883 Huirangi, nr Waitara, TNK, NZ.1 She was buried Huirangi Cem., nr Waitara, TNK, NZ, her grave being marked by a small plain white wooden cross 'Mary Ann Griffin 1883.1'
MigrationEbenezer and Mary Ann Griffin immigrated in 1875 to NZ on the 'Mataura' settling in ?TNK Sheila2 has date as 1876.1,2
Census/Where lived/OccupationsMary Andrews appeared on the census of 7 Jun 1841 Odcombe, SOM, ENG, in the household of John Andrews and Tabitha Andrews.7,8
The census of 1851 showed Mary and Emma and their brothers Luke and Job in the household of their mother Tabitha Odcombe, SOM, enumerated as ANDREWS (all b. Odcombe, SOM):Tabitha Widow 41 ; Mary 15; Luke 13; Sansom 4; Emma 4m; Lodgers: Mary COLE 16 Glover b Odcombe; John CORNISH 13 Labourer b Beaminster.9
By 1855 Mary Ann Andrews was a glover of Bunhill Hill Row, City of London, London, ENG, when she married Ebenezer.3
The census of 1861 showed Mary and her husband Ebenezer in the household of her mother-in-law Elizabeth Griffin with her son Theophilus and dtr Alice 28 Thomas St, St John Horsleydown, Southwark, SRY, ENG, enumerated as GRIFFIN: Elizabeth head, widow 46 glove maker; Tabitha unm, 21 dressmaker; Ebenezer mar. 23 wharf labourer; Mary A mar. 23 glove maker (no relationships given but assumed to be mother/dtr/son/dtr-in-law) all b Odcombe, SOM); Theophilus grdson 4 scholar b MDX, LND; Alice, grddtr 2 scholar b Surrey Horsleydown; and 3 lodgers.10
The census of 7 Apr 1871 showed Mary with her husband Ebenezer, their dtrs Alice, Ada and Eva, their son Theophilus, her mother-in-law Elizabeth Perseverance St (22), Bermondsey, Par. of Christ Ch, LND, ENG, household enumerated as GRIFFIN: Ebenezer, head, 33 fireman on board ship; wife Mary A, 34, both b Somerset; Children: Theophilus 14 printing office boy, b MDX; (next page) Alice 12; Ada M 5 (both scholars b Surrey); Ava (sic) 1 b SRY; Elizabeth mother, widow 55 b Somerset.11
|Ebenezer G Griffin (cir. 1836 - Jun 1898)|
|Charts||John & Ann (COLE) ANDREWS|
My pedigree chart
|Last Edited||4 Dec 2016|
- Janice GRIFFIN (5095), The Griffins of Taranaki, p/copy of pp 3-4 rcvd from Jackie SEWELL, Mar 1994.
- Sheila ANDREWS (7256), "FT ANDREWS/WINES ex Sheila A pre 1994", rcvd via Sue SHARMAN May 1994.
- Janice GRIFFIN (5095), The Griffins of Taranaki, (from mar. cert 1855 Ebenezer GRIFFIN to Mary Ann ANDREWS), p/copy of pp 3-4 rcvd from Jackie SEWELL, Mar 1994.
- Janice GRIFFIN (5095), The Griffins of Taranaki, (from bap. record 1836 Mary Ann ANDREWS) p/copy of pp 3-4 rcvd from Jackie SEWELL, Mar 1994.
- Janice GRIFFIN (5095), The Griffins of Taranaki, (from bap. record 3 Apr 1836 Mary Ann ANDREWS) p/copy of pp 3-4 rcvd from Jackie SEWELL, Mar 1994.
- Devon, Warwick and Norfolk, 1851 UK census CD-ROM, Rootsweb Somerset mailing list: Odcombe Census, extract rcvd Aug 2005.
- Miscellaneous ANDREWS web searches & assorted corresondence 1841 Census, Odcombe, SOM HO 107/946/13 (from Somerset Message Board 10 Aug 2005 in response to my request), rcvd Aug 2005.
- "Lorna's Family History Musings", Apr 2006.
- Miscellaneous ANDREWS web searches & assorted corresondence 1851 Census, Odcombe, SOM (from Somerset Message Board 10 Aug 2005 in response to my request), rcvd Aug 2005.
- 1861 Census images, England & Wales, via Ancestry.com, Southwark St John Horsleydown, SRY, ENG RG9/317 Enum Dist 3 Folio 85 Page 8 Schedule #49, d/loaded Jul 2005.
- 1871 Census images, England & Wales, via Ancestry.com, Bermondsey, LND Dist 5 RG10/634 Folio 26 Page 44 Schedule #251, d/loaded Jul 2005.
- England/Wales GRO online index by GRO England online at https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/…, Birth reg. 1865 Q4 Ada Mary GRIFFIN, mother ANDREWS, reg. St Olave Southwark, 01D/38, extracted Dec 2016.
- BDM: NZ historical indexes online at http://bdmhistoricalrecords.identityservices.govt.nz/Search, Birth 10 Mar 1879 Albert Edward s/o Ebenezer & Mary Ann GRIFFIN, ref. 1879/4603, extracted Jul 2016.
E. & O. E. Some/most parish records are rather hard to read and names, places hard to interpret, particularly if you are unfamiliar with an area.