(25 December 1847 - )
|Mother||Tabitha Hunt1,2 (Dec 1809 - Feb 1865)|
BMDB dataJob Sampson Andrews was born in 1847 Odcombe, SOM, ENG, probably the Job Andrews birth reg. Yeovil, 4th qtr 1847.3,4 He was christened on 25 Dec 1847 ?Odcombe, SOM, ENG; "born to the widow Tabitha"1 (unless this was a very late christening, father cannot be John.)2,1 Some sources believe Job Sampson Andrews was born cir. 1850 Odcombe, SOM.5,6
Job Sampson Andrews married Sarah Louise Dolimount on 7 Aug 1874 Francois, NFD, CAN, (it is not yet conclusively proven that this marriage is the Job, son of Tabitha, but as there are no obvious marriages, nor census data in England after the 1860s, he could well be this Canadian marriage. Particularly as there is family information that Emma, married to John ANDREWS and living in London, corresponded with her step brother Sampson in Newfoundland.)5,7,8
MigrationJob Sampson Andrews immigrated in 1867 to Richard's Harbour, NFD, CAN; corroborated by, or sourced from, the following on the web: "Samson, from Odcombe (Somerset), settled at Richards Harbour in 1867 and later moved to Francois (MUN HIST.)5,9"
Census/Where lived/OccupationsThe census of 1851 showed Luke and Job and their sisters Mary and Emma in the household of their mother Tabitha Odcombe, SOM, ENG, enumerated as ANDREWS (all b. Odcombe, SOM):Tabitha Widow 41 ; Mary 15; Luke 13; Sansom 4; Emma 4m; Lodgers: Mary COLE 16 Glover b Odcombe; John CORNISH 13 Labourer b Beaminster.4 Job Sampson Andrews appeared on the census of 1861 Dunlaw Head (11), Odcombe, SOM, ENG, as step son of William Robins.6 By 1868 Job Sampson Andrews was a "shareman" with Levi Dolimount, Sarah's uncle Francois, NFD, CAN.5 He was not found in the census of 1871 ENG (as Job, and all the variants of Sampson I could think of, within 5 yrs of 1848, born Somerset, which does add fuel to the identification of the 1867 Newfoundland sighting.)10
NamesJob Sampson Andrews was also known as Sansom Andrews.6
All the other infoJob Sampson Andrews was not mentioned in Sarah's letter of 1859.
Half siblings Emma (in London and married to John Andrews) and Samson (in Newfoundland) are believed to have been in correspondence.8
|Sarah Louise Dolimount (Jun 1858 - )|
|Last Edited||15 Nov 2009|
- Sheila ANDREWS (7256), "FT ANDREWS/WINES ex Sheila A pre 1994", Rcvd via Sue SHARMAN May 1994.
- Janice GRIFFIN (5095), The Griffins of Taranaki, (from bap. 1847 Job Sampson ANDREWS) p/copy of pp 3-4 rcvd from Jackie SEWELL, Mar 1994.
- Www FreeBMD ENG online at http://freebmd.rootsweb.com/cgi/search.pl, Birth 1857 Job ANDREWS, reg. Yeovil, Dec. qtr, 10/473, extracted Aug 2003, (assumes correct id).
- Miscellaneous ANDREWS web searches & assorted corresondence 1851 Census, Odcombe, SOM (from Somerset Message Board 10 Aug 2005 in response to my request), rcvd Aug 2005.
- Www Rootsweb online at http://wc.rootsweb.com/, Dollimount/Powell Family Tree posted by Kyrl Dollimount Aug 2003, extracted Aug 2003.
- 1861 Census (images for ENG, transcriptions for SCT), UK, via Ancestry.com, Odcombe, Dist of Coker, Yeovil, SOM Dist 4 RG9/1640 Folio 71 Page 23 Schedule #145, copy d/loaded Aug 2005.
- Www FreeBMD ENG online at http://freebmd.rootsweb.com/cgi/search.pl, Marr. Job Sampson ANDREWS, searched Aug 2003, (negative search).
- Sue SHARMAN, "Corres. re ANDREWS/WINES ex Sue S," e-mail to Lorna Henderson, Emma/Emily & Sampson ANDREWS, rcvd Nov 2009.
- Miscellaneous ANDREWS web searches & assorted corresondence Family Names of the Island of Newfoundland, by E R Seary (http://home.thezone.net/~traytown/SearyAB.htm), extracted Aug 2003.
- 1871 Census, ENG, Ancestry: searched Aug 2005, (negative result).
E. & O. E. Some/most parish records are rather hard to read and names, places hard to interpret, particularly if you are unfamiliar with an area.