(between September 1850 and December 1850 - between March 1906 and June 1906)
|Mother||Tabitha Hunt2 (Dec 1809 - Feb 1865)|
BMDB dataEmma Andrews was born cir. 1847 SOM, ENG.4 Some sources show Emma as born bef. 1 May 1850 Kingston, Par. of Odcombe, SOM, ENG, but this cannot be correct best match (as Emily Ann) if birthplace Odcombe is accurate; Entry in Odcombe baptisms shows Emily Ann as bap. 1 May to John & Emma ANDREWS of Kingston, John a labourer; "privately baptized" Followed by what surely has to be the same Emily Ann 15th May shown as d/o John (servant) & Anna in Kingston!5,6
Emma Andrews was born bet. Sep 1850 - Dec 1850 Odcombe, Dist of Yeovil, SOM, ENG, reg. Yeovil, Dec qtr (10/554) Emma is the only other Yeovil reg. in the time frame of an Emily or Emma, and has the advantage of being connected to her future husband John ANDREWS' family. The other, Emily Ann, dtr of John and Emma, was buried Sep 1851 aged 16 mths.7,8,9,10
Emma Andrews was born cir. 1851 Odcombe, SOM, ENG.11 Some sources show Emma as born cir. 1852 Odcombe, SOM, (from 1861 census, but the 1851 census has her as 4m old, which fits the 1850 birth reg. found.)8
Emma Andrews married John Andrews, son of Abraham Andrews and Mary Ann Chant, on 9 Mar 1880 Par. Ch, Stepney, MDX, ENG, cert. 313 shows John as 28 boot maker, s/o Abraham ANDREWS, waterproofer; Emily as 29 d/o John ANDREWS carpeter; Both resid. 49 Globe Rd; John signed, Emily her mark; Wit: Samuel Roland HIGGINS; Sarah HIGGINS.12,13,14
Emma Andrews was assumed to have died bet. Mar 1906 - Jun 1906 reg. Walthamstow?, Dist of West Ham, ESS, ENG, aged 55, and in reg. dist. where husband was in 1911, so highly likely to be correct Emily.11,15,16
Census/Where lived/OccupationsThe census of 1851 showed Mary and Emma and their brothers Luke and Job in the household of their mother Tabitha Odcombe, SOM, ENG, enumerated as ANDREWS (all b. Odcombe, SOM):Tabitha Widow 41 ; Mary 15; Luke 13; Sansom 4; Emma 4m; Lodgers: Mary COLE 16 Glover b Odcombe; John CORNISH 13 Labourer b Beaminster.17 Emma Andrews is possibly the one appearing with John Andrews and Anna Hill in 1851 Back Kingston, Pitney, Dist of Yeovil, SOM, ENG; ANDREWS: John 32 servant; wife Anna 29 both b Yarlington, SOM; Children: James 3 b Preston Plucknett, SOM; John 2 Emily 11mo both b Yeovil, SOM.18 Emma Andrews appeared on the census of 1861 Dunlaw Head (11), Odcombe, SOM, ENG, as step daughter of William Robins.8 It is possible that Emma Andrews was 36 Shrubland Rd, St Leonard Shoreditch, LND, ENG, in 1871 as a genl servant aged 19 b Yeovil, with the family of Edward and Maria HUTCHINSON.19
Emma Andrews appeared on the census of 1881 49 Globe Rd, Mile End Old Town, London, MDX, ENG, with John Andrews, enumerated as ANDREWS: John 36, b St Lukes, MDX, ENG, head, bootmaker, wife Emily, 34, b Somerset. (assumes correct id, but highly likely as living at same address as brother Stephen and mother Mary.)13
Emma Andrews appeared on the census of 1891 2 Park Cottages, Leyton, ESS, ENG, with John Andrews, enumerated as ANDREWS: John, head, 39 suburban postman Div iii, b St Lukes, LND; wife Emily 40 b Odcombe, SOM; Dtr Lilian M R 9 scholar b Mile End, LND.20
Emma Andrews appeared on the census of 1901 94 Beaumont Rd, Nth Leyton, ESS, ENG, with John Andrews, enumerated as ANDREWS: John, head, 49 head postman, b St Lukes, LND; wife Emily 50 b Odcombe, SOM; Dtr Lilian M R 19 scholar b Mile End, LND.21
NamesAs of 1881, Emma Andrews was also known as Emily Andrews (also in 1891.)4,22,14
All the other infoHalf siblings Emma (in London and married to John Andrews) and Samson (in Newfoundland) are believed to have been in correspondence.23
|John Andrews (Jan 1852 - Jan 1938)|
|Charts||John & Rebekah (WINES) ANDREWS|
|Last Edited||22 Nov 2017|
- forename given with a ? on Sheila's tree, unsure if this means Emma exists but they weren't sure of her name, or whether an Emma exists, but might not belong with this family, not mentioned in Janice's book.
- Sheila ANDREWS (7256), "FT ANDREWS/WINES ex Sheila A pre 1994", Rcvd via Sue SHARMAN May 1994.
- Janice GRIFFIN (5095), The Griffins of Taranaki, p/copy of pp 3-4 rcvd from Jackie SEWELL, Mar 1994.
- 1881 Census transcripts, UK, via Family Search/LDS CDs, FHL Film 1341105 PRO Ref RG11 Piece 0479 Folio 6 Page 6 extracted Dec 2002.
- Www FreeBMD ENG online at http://freebmd.rootsweb.com/cgi/search.pl, Birth 1850 Q2 Emily Ann ANDREWS, reg. Yeovil, SOM 10/604, extracted Nov 2009.
- Parish Registers: Somerset, England (published), Bap. 1 May 1850 Emily Ann d/o John (labourer) & Emma ANDREWS in Kingston, Odcombe, SOM,, extracted from image Jul 2016.
- Www FreeBMD ENG online at http://freebmd.rootsweb.com/cgi/search.pl, Birth 1850 Emma ANDREWS, extracted Aug 2005.
- 1861 Census (images for ENG, transcriptions for SCT), UK, via Ancestry.com, Odcombe, Dist of Coker, Yeovil, SOM Dist 4 RG9/1640 Folio 71 Page 23 Schedule #145, copy d/loaded Aug 2005.
- Devon, Warwick and Norfolk, 1851 UK census CD-ROM, Rootsweb Somerset mailing list: Odcombe Census, extract rcvd Aug 2005.
- "Lorna's Family History Musings", Nov 2009.
- 1891 Census, Various, Ancestry: Leyton, ESS, Dist 13 RG12/1345 Folio 25 Page 7 Schedule #34, extracted Apr 2005.
- Sheila ANDREWS (7256), "FT ANDREWS/WINES ex Sheila A pre 1994", Marr. John & Emily ANDREWS, rcvd via Sue SHARMAN May 1994.
- 1881 Census transcripts, UK, via Family Search/LDS CDs, Mile End Old Town, London, FHL Film 1341105 PRO Ref RG11 Piece 0479 Folio 6 Page 6, family of John & Emily ANDREWS, extracted Dec 2002 (also copy taken from Ancestry Apr 2005.
- Ancestry.com online at http://search.ancestry.com, Marr. 9 Mar 1880 John s/o Abraham ANDREWS; Emily s/o John ANDREWS, both of 49 Globe Rd, Stepney Par. Ch, from London Metropolitan Archives, Saint Dunstan And All Saints, Register of marriages, P93/DUN, Item 112, extracted Nov 2009.
- Findmypast online at http://www.findmypast.com, 1911: Walthamstow, West Ham, ESS RG14PN9683 RG78PN514A RD188 SD10 ED9 SN324, hsehold of John ANDREWS, extracted Nov 2009.
- Www FreeBMD ENG online at http://freebmd.rootsweb.com/cgi/search.pl, Dth 1906 Q2 Emily ANDREWS, aged 55, reg. West Ham, ESS 4a/171, extracted Nov 2009.
- Miscellaneous ANDREWS web searches & assorted corresondence 1851 Census, Odcombe, SOM (from Somerset Message Board 10 Aug 2005 in response to my request), rcvd Aug 2005.
- 1851 Census (images for ENG, transcriptions for SCT), UK, via Ancestry.com, Par. of Pitney, Dist Yeovil, SOM HO107/1930 ED 5g F 417 Pg 10 Sched 38, hsehold of John & Anna ANDREWS, extracted Nov 2009.
- 1871 Census, ENG, Ancestry: Haggerston East, St Leonard Shoreditch, LND Dist 15 RG10/472 Folio ? Page 22 Schedule #107, extracted Aug 2005.
- 1891 Census images, England & Wales, via Ancestry.com, 1891: Leyton, ESS, Dist 13 RG12/1345 Folio 25 Page 7 Schedule #34, hsehold of John & Emily ANDREWS, extracted Apr 2005.
- 1901 Census, ENG, Ancestry: Nth Leyton, ESS, Dist 20 RG13/1619 Foli o ? Page 18 Schedule #107, extracted Apr 2005.
- 1891 Census images, England & Wales, via Ancestry.com, 1891: Leyton, ESS, Dist 13 RG12/1345 Folio 25 Page 7 Schedule #34, extracted Apr 2005.
- Sue SHARMAN, "Corres. re ANDREWS/WINES ex Sue S," e-mail to Lorna Henderson, Emma/Emily & Sampson ANDREWS, rcvd Nov 2009.
E. & O. E. Some/most parish records are rather hard to read and names, places hard to interpret, particularly if you are unfamiliar with an area.