(circa 1829 - after February 1854)
|Mother-Poss||Caroline Austin1 (say 1800 - )|
|Relationship||2nd great-grandfather of Lorna Henderson|
BMDB dataWilliam Austin was born cir. 1829 ?ENG the only indicators I have for this being his marriage showing him as 'full age' in Feb 1853, and a few months later, his Jul 1853 emigration at age 24.
Assuming Caroline is a significant name in his life (with dtr Emma's name coming from her maternal side), there is an 1831 baptism in St Pancras of a William to a Caroline AUSTIN of King St, St Pancras.2,3,1
William Austin married Emma Clinton, daughter of William Clinton and Jemima Parker, on 6 Feb 1853 St Martin in the Field, London, MDX, ENG, the cert (Folio#155) shows, for the Registration district of Westminster, 1853, Parish of St Martin in the Field, County of Middlesex. Groom: William Austin, full age, bachelor, Porter, resident of Snow Hill, Father's name and profession blank. Bride: Emma Clinton, full age, spinster, no profession, residence at time of marriage Snow Hill. Father William Clinton, 'Carrier or Currier'. Married in the Parish church according to the Rites and Ceremonies of the Established Church after Banns by Minister: S Flood Jones, Curate. Witnessed by H Clinton (assumed to be Emma's brother Henry), S Crossman (either a friend, or possibly Emma's elder sister Sarah?). (There is no mention of this marriage on Emma's death cert.)4,5
William Austin died aft. Feb 1854 ?Melbourne, VIC, AUS; this date assumes that he was alive when dtr baptised - certainly not shown as deceased. So unlikely to be the William Austin, son of Wm, who died age 22 1853 in Victoria Reg 2148 (born Dublin). NB there are several 1854 plus marriages of William Austins in Victoria.6,7
MigrationWilliam Austin migrated from Plymouth, England 2 May 1853 on the 'Roxburgh Castle' to Port Phillip arriving Melbourne in Jul 1853, William being described as a 24 yr old miner also Jemima Clinton, together with Emma Austin and Henry Clinton.3
Census/Where lived/OccupationsWilliam Austin was not found in the census of 1851 LND, ENG, several possibilities exist, but none were immediately obviously him by occupation or residence or companions.8 He was a porter of Snow Hill, Camden Town, London, ENG, in Feb 1853 when he married Emma.9
In Feb 1854 William Austin was a ginger beer manufacturer of Little Bourke St West, Melbourne, VIC, AUS, when dtr Caroline Emma born.6
All the other infoI would love to hear from anyone with further information on this chap as he is one of my more mysterious ancestors, of whom I should be able to know more, given how relatively recent he was.10
External linksClick here to see William's page on WikiTree, a (free) collaborative on-line tree.11
|Emma Parker Clinton (Mar 1827 - Jun 1894)|
|Charts||My pedigree chart|
Ancestors (& their siblings) of Alice HENDERSON nee ANDREWS
Maternal ancestors of Lorna
|Last Edited||10 Jun 2014|
- London Metropolitan Archives: Birth death marriage (filmed originals): , Birth 23 Jun 1830 Bap. 9 Jan 1831 William illeg. s/o Caroline AUSTIN, King St, from vSt Pancras Old St Pancras, Register of Baptism, p90/pan1, Item 017, extracted from image Mar 2013.
- Letter, Frances RADFORD (3996) to Lorna Henderson, rcvd Mar 1994.
- Letter, Frances RADFORD to Lorna Henderson, Passenger Schedule for the "Roxburgh Castle", 2 May 1853, rcvd Feb 1994.
- Certificate, Emma CLINTON (12) & William AUSTIN (3903) marriage of 06 Feb 1853 Folio #155 1853 P/copy of certified copy dated Feb 1994 from Frances RADFORD held by Lorna Henderson, scanned Mar 2006.
- Emma GIBSON nee CLINTON prev. AUSTIN (12), DC GIBSON, Emma (nee CLINTON, previously AUSTIN), 1894, TNK, NZ, Inspection p/copy held by L McIntosh Nov 1993, scanned Mar 2006.
- Caroline Emma AUSTEN (8), Baptism/birth, 1854 #7211, Inspection p/copy held, Oct 1993 (Bap 8 Feb, birth 14 Jan 1854).
- Australian birth death marriage, CD Roms, Dth/marriages, Wm AUSTIN/AUSTEN, searched Dec 2003 (1998).
- 1851 Census (images for ENG, transcriptions for SCT), UK, via Ancestry.com, searched Nov 2005.
- Certificate, Emma CLINTON (12) & William AUSTIN (3903) marriage of 06 Feb 1853 Folio #155 1853 P/copy of certified copy dated Feb 1994 from Frances RADFORD held by L McIntosh.
- "Lorna's Family History Musings", Nov 2005.
- WikiTree online at http://WikiTree.com/, Oct 2011.
- Certificate, Matthias ROWE (9) & Caroline Emma Austin GIBSON (8) marriage of 04 Feb 1882 1882 Ref 99 Inspection p/copy held, Aug 1993.
- Caroline Emma Austin ROWE (8), DC ROWE, Emma nee GIBSON or AUSTIN, Jan 1899 TNK, NZ, Illegible inspection p/copy dated Aug 1993 held, as is a p/copy of a certified copy taken Waitara Dec 1985, rcvd Aug 1993 from Marie C, Edgecombe.
E. & O. E. Some/most parish records are rather hard to read and names, places hard to interpret, particularly if you are unfamiliar with an area.