(circa 3 January 1829 - between September 1905 and December 1905)
|Relationship||2nd great-grandfather of Lorna Henderson|
BMDB dataWilliam Mallars Fitz Austen was born cir. 3 Jan 1829 New Cut, Lambeth, SRY, ENG, if the railway records are indeed William, then 67 and 7/12 counted back from 3 Aug 1896 is 3 Jan 1829.
Which fits with the only other indicators I have for William's birth, ie his marriage showing him as 'full age' in Feb 1853, and a few months later, his Jul 1853 emigration at age 24.1,2,3,4 It is possible that William Mallars Fitzaustin was baptized on 11 Jan 1835 St Mary, Lambeth, SRY, ENG, entry shows William Mallars as son of Daniel, laborer, and Caroline FITZAUSTEN, resid. New Cut.
For this to fit, however well the names work with census and certificate data, it would have to be a late baptism as census data places William Mallars Fitz AUSTEN as born Lambeth around 1829.
There is no birth date given on the baptism entry.4
William Austin married Emma Clinton, daughter of William Clinton and Jemima Parker, on 6 Feb 1853 St Martin in the Field, London, MDX, ENG, the cert (Folio#155) shows, for the Registration district of Westminster, 1853, Parish of St Martin in the Field, County of Middlesex. Groom: William Austin, full age, bachelor, Porter, resident of Snow Hill, Father's name and profession blank. Bride: Emma Clinton, full age, spinster, no profession, residence at time of marriage Snow Hill. Father William Clinton, 'Carrier or Currier'. Married in the Parish church according to the Rites and Ceremonies of the Established Church after Banns by Minister: S Flood Jones, Curate. Witnessed by H Clinton (assumed to be Emma's brother Henry), S Crossman (either a friend, or possibly Emma's elder sister Sarah?). (There is no mention of this marriage on Emma's death cert.)5,6
William Mallars Fitz Austen married Sarah Jane Biggs on 17 Aug 1869 Whitechapel, MDX, ENG, cert. excerpts show William Mallars Fitz s/o Robert (solicitor dec'd) AUSTEN; Sarah Jane BIGGS formerly BLAKE (cert. ordered Jun 19.)7,8
William Austin died bet. Sep 1905 - Dec 1905 Hackney, MDX, ENG.9
MigrationWilliam Austin migrated from Plymouth, England 2 May 1853 on the 'Roxburgh Castle' to Port Phillip arriving Melbourne in Jul 1853, William being described as a 24 yr old miner also Jemima Clinton, together with Emma Austin and Henry Clinton.2
Census/Where lived/OccupationsWilliam Mallars Fitz Austen was a railway porter. He was not found in the census of 1851 LND, ENG, several possibilities exist, but none were immediately obviously him by occupation or residence or companions.12 He was a porter of Snow Hill, Camden Town, London, ENG, in Feb 1853 when he married Emma.13
In Feb 1854 William Austin was a ginger beer manufacturer of Little Bourke St West, Melbourne, VIC, AUS, when dtr Caroline Emma born.14 He was living Mansell St (52), Whitechapel, MDX, ENG, in Aug 1869 when he married Sarah.7 He was a porter (when son William born) in Nov 1869.15
By Nov 1869 William Mallars Fitz Austen and Sarah Jane Austen were living Regent St Sth (16), Mile End Old Town, MDX, ENG.15
William Austen appeared on the census of 1871 Mile End Old Town, MDX, with Sarah Jane Austen, enumerated as AUSTEN: William 41 railway porter b. Lambeth, SRY; wife Sarah 41 milliner b. Holborn, MDX; Children: William 1, Ada 1 both b. Mile End Old Town, MDX; Julia 7 b. Southwark, SRY; Aunt Hannah MALLARS 66 unm, formerly cook b. Southwark, SRY.16
William Austen appeared on the census of 1881 Salmen St (10), Mile End Old Town, Stepney, MDX, ENG, with Sarah Jane Austen, enumerated as AUSTEN: William 50 railway servant goods dept b. Lambeth, Surrey; wife Sarah 51 dressmaker b. Holborn, Middlesex; Son William 11 b. Stepney, Middlesex;
(Dtr Ada is with her step sister Sarah THOMPSON.)17 William Austen was an engineer, when son William married in Oct 1894.18
NamesWilliam Mallars Fitz Austen was also known as William Mallars Fitzaustin (if the potential baptism is the correct one), and also swaps between AustIn and Austen in records.4
External linksClick here to see William's page on WikiTree, a (free) collaborative on-line tree. (the two Williams have not yet been merged on WikiTree.)19
Click here to see William's page on WikiTree, a (free) collaborative on-line tree. (the two Williams have not yet been merged on WikiTree.)20
|Emma Parker Clinton (Mar 1827 - Jun 1894)|
|Sarah Jane Blake (cir. 1827 - )|
|Charts||My pedigree chart|
Ancestors (& their siblings) of Alice HENDERSON nee ANDREWS
Maternal ancestors of Lorna
|Last Edited||15 Jun 2019|
- UK Railway Employment Records, 1833-1956 online at ancestry.com, 3 Aug 1896 William AUSTIN "services not req'd", #7907, aged 67 7/12, stocktaker, 2nd class ins. 21/-, service 34 yrs 6 mths foreman BROAD, extracted Mar 2019.
- Letter, Frances RADFORD to Lorna Henderson, Passenger Schedule for the "Roxburgh Castle", 2 May 1853, rcvd Feb 1994.
- Letter, Frances RADFORD (3996) to Lorna Henderson, rcvd Mar 1994.
- London Metropolitan Archives: Birth death marriage (filmed originals): , Bap. 11 Jan 1835 William Mallars s/o Daniel (laborer) & Caroline FITZAUSTIN, Lambeth St Mary, SRY, resid. New Cut, extracted Mar 2019.
- Certificate, Emma CLINTON (12) & William AUSTIN (3903) marriage of 06 Feb 1853 Folio #155 1853 P/copy of certified copy dated Feb 1994 from Frances RADFORD held by Lorna Henderson, scanned Mar 2006.
- Emma GIBSON nee CLINTON prev. AUSTIN (12), DC GIBSON, Emma (nee CLINTON, previously AUSTIN), 1894, TNK, NZ, Inspection p/copy held by L McIntosh Nov 1993, scanned Mar 2006.
- RootsChat Msge Board online at http://www.rootschat.com, Marr. 17 Aug 1869 William Mallars Fitz s/o Robert (solicitor dec'd) AUSTEN; Sarah Jane BIGGS formerly BLAKE, Whitechapel, MDX; Vol1c/ pg 778, transcript from Mikehere (https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=602971.0), extracted Mar 2019.
- Www FreeBMD ENG online at http://freebmd.rootsweb.com/cgi/search.pl, Marr. 1869 Q3 William AUSTEN & Sarah BIGGS, reg. Whitechapel, LND 1c/778, extracted Mar 2019.
- Birth death marriage index (St Caths), via Ancestry/FMP, Dth 1905 Q4 William AUSTIN, reg. Hackney, age 74, 1b/340, extracted Jun 2019.
- "Lorna's Family History Musings", Nov 2005.
- "Lorna's Family History Musings", Mar 2019, updated Jun 2019.
- 1851 Census images, England & Wales, via Ancestry.com, Nill result, searched Nov 2005.
- Certificate, Emma CLINTON (12) & William AUSTIN (3903) marriage of 06 Feb 1853 Folio #155 1853 P/copy of certified copy dated Feb 1994 from Frances RADFORD held by L McIntosh.
- Caroline Emma AUSTEN (8), Baptism/birth, 1854 #7211, Inspection p/copy held, Oct 1993 (Bap 8 Feb, birth 14 Jan 1854).
- Various, BDM Certified copy, Birth 8 Nov 1869 William Edward Sinclair Fitz s/o William Mallars Fitz (porter) AUSTEN & Sarah Jane BIGGS formerly BLAKE, resid. 16 Regent St Sth, reg. Mile End Old Town, MDX, copy rcvd ex GRO Mar 2019.
- 1871 Census images, England & Wales, via Ancestry.com, Mile End Old Town, Par. of Trinity, Borough of Tower Hamlets, LND, RG10; Piece: 561; Folio: 110; Page: 46; Sched. 266; hsehold of William & Sarah AUSTEN, extracted Mar 2019.
- 1881 Census images, England & Wales, via Ancestry.com, Civil Par. / Reg. Dist Mile End Old Town, Parl. Borough Tower Hamlets, Ecc. Par. Holy Trinity, Stepney, MDX; RG11; Piece: 485; Folio: 23; Page: 40; Sched. 221; hsehold of William & Sarah AUSTEN, extracted Feb 2019.
- London Metropolitan Archives: Birth death marriage (filmed originals): , Marr. 27 Oct 1894 William Edward s/p William AUSTEN; Alice Maud d/o John CARTER, All Saints, Haggerston, LND, extracted Mar 2019.
- WikiTree online at http://WikiTree.com/, Oct 2011.
- WikiTree online at http://WikiTree.com/, https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Austin-9878, created Feb 2019.
- Certificate, Matthias ROWE (9) & Caroline Emma Austin GIBSON (8) marriage of 04 Feb 1882 1882 Ref 99 Inspection p/copy held, Aug 1993.
- Caroline Emma Austin ROWE (8), DC ROWE, Emma nee GIBSON or AUSTIN, Jan 1899 TNK, NZ, Illegible inspection p/copy dated Aug 1993 held, as is a p/copy of a certified copy taken Waitara Dec 1985, rcvd Aug 1993 from Marie C, Edgecombe.
- London Metropolitan Archives: Birth death marriage (filmed originals): , Marr. 27 Oct 1894 William Edward s/p William AUSTENl Alice Maud d/o John CARTER, All Saints, Haggerston, LND, extracted Mar 2019.
- England/Wales GRO online index by GRO England online at https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/…, Birth 1869 Q4 Ada Hannah Louisa AUSTEN, mother BLAKE, reg. Mile End Old Town (MDX), Vol 01C/ pg 604, extracted Mar 2019.
E. & O. E. Some/most parish records are rather hard to read and names, places hard to interpret, particularly if you are unfamiliar with an area.