Caroline Emma Austin1
(14 January 1854 - 21 January 1899)
|Father||William Austin (cir. 1829 - aft. Feb 1854); Emma's father's surname varies: on her 1882 mar. cert to Matt Rowe, father's name given as William Austin Gibson; on her 1854 bap. entry it is William Austin; on her 1899 dth cert given as Austin forenames unknown, step-father John Gibson2,3,4|
|Mother||Emma Parker Clinton2,5,4 (Mar 1827 - Jun 1894)|
|Relationship||Great-grandmother of Lorna Henderson|
BMDB dataCaroline Emma Austin was born Melbourne, VIC, AUS, bet. 1854 - 1857 the exact year varying according to source. Her age was given as 26 when she married in Feb 1882, ie born 1856; 42 when died Jan 1899, ie 1857; 31 on dtr Honor's birth cert July 1886, ie 1855 and her mother Emma's 1894 dth cert. shows a surviving 40 yr old dtr, ie 1854. Emma is also shown, without an age (unusual on VIC certs), as being an elder sister to John Gibson on his 1859 birth cert.4,6,3,1,7
Caroline Emma Austin was actually born on 14 Jan 1854 Melbourne, VIC.2 She was baptized on 8 Feb 1854 in the Parish of St James, Melbourne, Bourke, VIC, AUS; entry #7211 reads: Baptised Feb 8th 1854 by G C Varner. Born 14 Jan 1854, Caroline Emma, Parents: William and Emma, Austin, of Little Bourke St West, profession ginger beer manufacturer.2,7
Caroline Emma Austin Gibson married Matthias Rowe, son of William Rowe and Honor Daw, on 4 Feb 1882 in the Office of the Registrar of Marriages, New Plymouth, TNK, NZ, Folio #201 cert. reads: 1882 in the District of New Plymouth on Feb 4, Matthias Rowe, 28, laborer (sic) bachelor born Plymouth, England, s/o William Rowe, farmer and Honor Daw married Caroline Emma Austin Gibson, 26 (really 28), spinster, b. Melbourne, Victoria, d/o William Austin Gibson, laborer, and Emma Clinton (NB this turns out to be an interesting mix of fact and fiction, as Emma's father was really William Austin and her step-father John Gibson). Both resident New Plymouth and signed their names. Wit: Ellen Maria Martin and N Martin Turner (Turner may possibly be occupation not surname. Not known to be any relation or connection.)8,9,5
Emma Rowe died on 21 Jan 1899 Huirangi, nr Waitara, TNK, NZ, at age 45; cert almost illegible #191 reads: Emma Rowe, aged 42 (!) of intestinal obstruction, collapse, duration 1 week, father given as "Austin (no forenames given) step-father John Gibson" and mother as "Emma, maiden name unknown". Buried 23 Jan 1899, Huirangi; Born Melbourne, Victoria, in NZ 30 years. Married New Plymouth at age 28 to M Rowe. Three children still living M 14, F 12,7 (ie Henry Matthias, aka Harry; Honor and Clara Elizabeth. NB the given age at marriage corrects that given on her actual marriage cert.)4 She was buried with Matthias Rowe Huirangi Cem., nr Waitara, TNK, NZ, Emma buried 23 Jan 1899, Matt 30 Dec 1901, grave is next door to Matt's parents. The h/stone has been cleaned between 1993ish and 2005.4,8,10
MigrationEmma Gibson was assumed to have travelled to New Plymouth, TNK, NZ, with John and Emma Parker Gibson bet. 20 Jun 1864 - 3 Aug 1864; from Melbourne, presumably as a family group, Capt John and wife Emma Gibson, eldest (step)dtr (Caroline) Emma aged about 10; and sons John, 4 and William Henry a baby, another son, James, having died in Melbourne in 1863. The actual date varies depending on the source, starting with the certificates nearest in time: son William Henry's dth cert implies c 1864/5; mother Emma's 1894 dth cert c 1864; however dtr Caroline Emma's 1899 dth cert implies 1868/9; brother John's 1932 dth cert also implies c 1868. It is possible, but unlikely, that in 1864 Emma and John stayed behind in Victoria with family then followed their parents out 4 yrs later, aged 14 and 8 respectively. So, I presume they all emigrated together when John took up his appointment as Harbour Master in New Plymouth in 1864. The "Jun to Aug" was drawn from correspondence in the Taranaki Provincial Papers in the National Archives offering him the position, and after his arrival.13,14
Census/Where lived/OccupationsIn 1892 Emma and Matt were living Huirangi, nr Waitara, TNK, NZ, when dtr Clara born.15
Wills/bequestsNo probate for Emma has been found (not indexed as either Caroline or Emma Rowe.16)
NamesAs of 1854, her surname was possibly also spelt Austen as on her baptism entry if there is a dot over the i it's hard to spot, and the i/e looks fat enough to be an e. However a Rootsweb search shows that by far the more common spelling would be Austin, which clearly appears on other records.2 Caroline Emma Austin was also known as Emma Gibson this surname being stated explicitly on husband Matt's 1901 dth cert and being implied from Emma's appearance as an elder sister on 1859 birth cert. of John Gibson, (now known to be half siblings)
Myth perpetuated on dtr Honor's marriage and death certs.6,8,17 She was also known as Caroline Emma Austin Gibson as shown on her 1882 marriage cert.3 On her death, in 1899, her name was recorded as Emma Rowe.4 The name shown on her headstone was Caroline Emma Austin Rowe.18
All the other infoEmma Rowe was not listed on the electoral roll of 1893, the first to include women (although her mother was.)19 Alice Henderson nee Andrews remembers her mother telling her that when her grandmother Rowe died young (1899) the three children were spread around the relations: Harry went to live on the Gibson's farm (now believed to be that of Lance's father John), Clara was sent to live with Uncle Alf (Rowe) and her mother was sent down to Petone to her Uncle Henry (Rowe.)20 She was given as the mother of Honor Rowe on 26 Apr 1971 Knox Pres. Ch., Waitara, TNK, NZ.21,22,20
External linksClick here to see Caroline's page on WikiTree, a (free) collaborative on-line tree.23
Caroline Emma Austin belongs to a DNA tested line. There may be more information available on DNASurnames under the DNA project for his/her surname/line.
|Matthias Rowe (Oct 1852 - Dec 1901)|
|Charts||My direct DAWE line|
ROWE descendant chart
My pedigree chart
Ancestors (& their siblings) of Alice HENDERSON nee ANDREWS
Maternal ancestors of Lorna
|Last Edited||12 Mar 2017|
- Honor ANDREWS nee ROWE (4), Birth, Folio 2455, Inspection p/copy held, Jul 1993 (24 Jul 1886).
- Caroline Emma AUSTEN (8), Baptism/birth, 1854 #7211, Inspection p/copy held, Oct 1993 (Bap 8 Feb, birth 14 Jan 1854).
- Certificate, Matthias ROWE (9) & Caroline Emma Austin GIBSON (8) marriage of 04 Feb 1882 1882 Ref 99 Inspection p/copy held, Aug 1993.
- Caroline Emma Austin ROWE (8), DC ROWE, Emma nee GIBSON or AUSTIN, Jan 1899 TNK, NZ, Illegible inspection p/copy dated Aug 1993 held, as is a p/copy of a certified copy taken Waitara Dec 1985, rcvd Aug 1993 from Marie C, Edgecombe.
- Certificate, Matthias ROWE (9) & Caroline Emma Austin GIBSON (8) marriage of 04 Feb 1882 1882 Ref 99 Inspection p/copy held, Aug 1993, scanned Jan 2012.
- John GIBSON (1648), Birth cert, VIC ref #18714, Inspection p/copy held, rcvd Oct 1993 (03 Aug 1859).
- Emma GIBSON nee CLINTON prev. AUSTIN (12), DC GIBSON, Emma (nee CLINTON, previously AUSTIN), 1894, TNK, NZ, Inspection p/copy held, Nov 1993.
- Matthias ROWE, DCC: ROWE, Matthias 1901, Huirangi, TNK, P/copy of certified copy dated Sep 1985, rcvd Aug 1993 from Marie C, Edgecombe.
- NZ births deaths marriages (index on fiche), ROWE/GIBSON mar. 1882 extracted Mar 2002.
- Various Cemetery transcriptions, NZ Geneaological Society, Auckland, AKD, NZ, H/stone Matthias and Caroline Emma Austin ROWE, photo taken Jun 2005.
- "Lorna's Family History Musings", Dec 2003.
- Letter, Frances RADFORD to Lorna Henderson, Passenger Schedule for the "Roxburgh Castle", 2 May 1853, rcvd Feb 1994.
- Emma GIBSON nee CLINTON prev. AUSTIN (12), DC GIBSON, Emma (nee CLINTON, previously AUSTIN), 1894, TNK, NZ, Inspection p/copy held by L McIntosh Nov 1993, scanned Mar 2006.
- Appointment of John Gibson to position of Harbour Master, Letter, May 1864 National Archives, Wgtn NZ, Extracted c 1994.
- Clara ROWE, Birth, (05 Apr 1892).
- Assorted indexes, NZ Soc. Gen. Index, Probate Index, searched Dec 2003.
- BDM: NZ Certificates, Marr. 2 Sep 1908 George Ernest s/o George Gibson ANDREWS & Ellen TURNBULL; Honor d/o Mathias ROWE & Emma GIBSON, Waitara Wesleyan Ch, TNK, folio 4857, inspection p/copy (scanned Mar 2013) dated/rcvd Aug 1993.
- Photo of H/Stone, unknown repository, Huirangi Cemetery, TNK: Caroline Emma Austin ROWE and Matthias ROWE, taken Aug 1993.
- Assorted indexes, NZ Soc. Gen. Index, 1893 Electoral Roll (Women), searched Dec 2003.
- Interview, Alice HENDERSON (1:2), Family memories from say 1960 to 2005.
- BDM: NZ Certificates, Dth 26 Apr 1971 Honor ANDREWS nee ROWE, Knox Pres. Church, Waitara, aged 84, widow of George Ernest ANDREWS, d/o Mathias ROWE and Emma, mother m.s. GIBSON, p/copy of certified copy, dated 16 Oct 1985.
- Taranaki Herald BDM transcriptions, 1852-1880, New Plymouth Genealogical Computer Group, Photo (blurry) of Dth Notice 1971 Honor ANDREWS from 27th Apr 1971, taken Waitara Genealogy Rooms, Jun 2005, (didn't get focus right!).
- WikiTree online at http://WikiTree.com/, Oct 2011.
- Various, interviews / personal knowledge , From niece Alice HENDERSON nee ANDREWS, c 1993.
- Honor ANDREWS nee ROWE (4), Birth, Folio 2455, Inspection p/copy dated Jul 1993, held by Lorna McI (24 Jul 1886).
E. & O. E. Some/most parish records are rather hard to read and names, places hard to interpret, particularly if you are unfamiliar with an area.