Emma Parker Clinton1
(3 March 1827 - 9 June 1894)
|Father||William Clinton2,1,3 (say Apr 1776 - bet. 1830 - 1841)|
|Mother||Jemima Parker2,3 (cir. Apr 1788 - Apr 1861)|
|Relationship||2nd great-grandmother of Lorna Henderson|
BMDB dataEmma Parker Clinton was born on 3 Mar 1827 1 Queens Sq, Brokers Row, City of London, LND, ENG, this date/place being consistent between marriage, death certs (and mother's death cert), also the 'Roxburgh Castle' passenger list. Which is more than I can say for her names. It is unlikely, but possible, to be 1827 instead, but elder brother William was supposedly born 25 Feb 1827, which gives me a bit of a problem given I've now seen her baptism entry in 1830, which shows her as born 3 Mar 1827!! (There's a William bap. 17 Aug 1814.)2,4,1,3 She was baptized on 13 Jun 1830 St Stephens, Coleman St, City of London, LND, ENG; Three consecutive baptisms recorded on this date: Frederick born 18 Feb 1824, Emma born 3 Mar 1827, Henry born 25 May 1830, all children of William (a currier) & Jemima CLINTON, of 1 Queens Sq, Brokers Row.5,3
Emma Clinton married William Austin on 6 Feb 1853 St Martin in the Field, London, MDX, ENG, the cert (Folio#155) shows, for the Registration district of Westminster, 1853, Parish of St Martin in the Field, County of Middlesex. Groom: William Austin, full age, bachelor, Porter, resident of Snow Hill, Father's name and profession blank. Bride: Emma Clinton, full age, spinster, no profession, residence at time of marriage Snow Hill. Father William Clinton, 'Carrier or Currier'. Married in the Parish church according to the Rites and Ceremonies of the Established Church after Banns by Minister: S Flood Jones, Curate. Witnessed by H Clinton (assumed to be Emma's brother Henry), S Crossman (either a friend, or possibly Emma's elder sister Sarah?). (There is no mention of this marriage on Emma's death cert.)6,1
Emma Parker Clinton married Capt John Gibson, son of Adam Gibson and Janet Purdie, on 31 Dec 1855 at the Emerald Hill Manse, Melbourne, VIC, AUS, cert. #3632 shows: John Gibson, 30, single, born Lanark, Scotland, Master Mariner, present and usual address: Brigantine 'Express', Melbourne, s/o Adam Gibson, contractor, Janet Purdie; Bride
Emma Parker Clinton, 28, single, born London, d/o William Clinton, currier, Jemima Parker, present and usu. address Melbourne. No children by former marriage, either living or dead for either party (ie Emma ignores her previous marriage and existing child, Caroline Emma Austin).
I John Gibson, do hereby declare that I am a member of the Presbyterian church, and that I was married in the Manse at Emerald Hill. Signed by both parties. Witnesses: Andrew Boyd, Elisabeth Boyd. Minister: D Macdonald.2,1
Emma Gibson died on 9 Jun 1894 50 Egmont Rd, New Plymouth, TNK, NZ, at age 67; Folio #1307/1894 cert shows Emma died aged 67, of debility and exhaustion, duration 'years', last seen Dr Christie, March 1894. Father: Clinton, currier, (first name blank). Mother: 'not known'. Buried Jun 12 1894, Henui cemetery by Episcopalian minister. Born London, ENG, in NZ for 30 yrs. Married: Victoria at age 28 to John Gibson. Children still living: 1 male 35 years (John), 1 female 40 years (Emma). Inf. ?Brooking? Undertaker, New Plymouth. Registered July 10 1894.1 She was buried on 12 Jun 1894 Te Henui Cem., New Plymouth, TNK, NZ, Block 6, no. 19, plot 1 or 2. Buried with husband John, son William Henry and grandson Willie (I have a photo, just need to find it again.)1
MigrationEmma Austin migrated from Plymouth, England 2 May 1853 on the 'Roxburgh Castle' to Port Phillip arriving Melbourne in Jul 1853 also Jemima Clinton, together with William Austin and Henry Clinton.4
Emma Parker Gibson and Capt John Gibson migrated bet. 20 Jun 1864 - 3 Aug 1864 to New Plymouth, TNK, NZ; from Melbourne, presumably as a family group, Capt John and wife Emma Gibson, eldest (step)dtr (Caroline) Emma aged about 10; and sons John, 4 and William Henry a baby, another son, James, having died in Melbourne in 1863. The actual date varies depending on the source, starting with the certificates nearest in time: son William Henry's dth cert implies c 1864/5; mother Emma's 1894 dth cert c 1864; however dtr Caroline Emma's 1899 dth cert implies 1868/9; brother John's 1932 dth cert also implies c 1868. It is possible, but unlikely, that in 1864 Emma and John stayed behind in Victoria with family then followed their parents out 4 yrs later, aged 14 and 8 respectively. So, I presume they all emigrated together when John took up his appointment as Harbour Master in New Plymouth in 1864. The "Jun to Aug" was drawn from correspondence in the Taranaki Provincial Papers in the National Archives offering him the position, and after his arrival.1,7
Census/Where lived/OccupationsIt is possible that Emma Parker Clinton was on Drury Lane, Finsbury, Par. of St Giles, MDX, ENG, in 1841 Emma CLINTON, F.S. 15, born cty, in hsehold of John & Mary MAYNARD.8 She was not found in the census of 1851 ENG.9 She was still living Melbourne, VIC, AUS, in Dec 1855 when she remarried.2 Bet. 1859 - 1864 John and Emma Gibson were living Dromana, Mornington Peninsula, VIC, AUS, where their 3 children were born (so John obviously wasn't at sea the whole time.)10 She and Capt John Gibson lived in 1896 Smart Rd, New Plymouth, TNK, NZ, GIBSON: John farmer/ Emma married woman, both residential.11
All the other infoEmma say she is a spinster (Emma Parker Clinton) on her marriage cert to Capt John Gibson, and John's death cert says he married Emma Austin.
Emma Gibson was listed on Smart Rd, TNK, NZ, on the electoral roll of 1893, the first to include women entry #2978 showing Emma as a married woman (Smart Rd being in/nr New Plymouth.)12
External linksClick here to see Emma's page on WikiTree, a (free) collaborative on-line tree.13
Emma Parker Clinton belongs to a DNA tested line. There may be more information available on DNASurnames under the DNA project for his/her surname/line.
|William Mallars Fitz Austen (cir. Jan 1829 - Oct 1905)|
|Capt John Gibson (Jun 1825 - Nov 1908)|
|Charts||My pedigree chart|
Maternal ancestors of Lorna
|Last Edited||15 Jun 2019|
- Emma GIBSON nee CLINTON prev. AUSTIN (12), DC GIBSON, Emma (nee CLINTON, previously AUSTIN), 1894, TNK, NZ, Inspection p/copy held by L McIntosh Nov 1993, scanned Mar 2006.
- Certificate, Emma CLINTON (12) & John GIBSON (13) marriage of 31 Dec 1855 Ref #3632 From Inspection p/copy held by L. McIntosh 1993.
- Ancestry.com online at http://search.ancestry.com, Birth 3 Mar 1827 Bap. 13 Jun 1830 Emma d/o William (currier) & Jemima CLINTON , at St Stephens, Colemant St, City of London of 1 Queens Sq, Brokers Row, from Guildhall, St Stephen Coleman Street, Register of baptisms, 1813 - 1839, P69/STE1/A/01/Ms 4454/2, extracted Sep 2009.
- Letter, Frances RADFORD to Lorna Henderson, Passenger Schedule for the "Roxburgh Castle", 2 May 1853, rcvd Feb 1994.
- Letter, Frances RADFORD (3996) to Lorna Henderson, Bap. 13 Jun 1830 Emma Parker, Frederick and Henry, children of William CLINTON & Jemima PARKER, St Stephens, rcvd Mar 1994.
- Certificate, Emma CLINTON (12) & William AUSTIN (3903) marriage of 06 Feb 1853 Folio #155 1853 P/copy of certified copy dated Feb 1994 from Frances RADFORD held by Lorna Henderson, scanned Mar 2006.
- Appointment of John Gibson to position of Harbour Master, Letter, May 1864 National Archives, Wgtn NZ, Extracted c 1994.
- 1841 Census (images for ENG, transcriptions for SCT), UK, Civil Par. St Giles in the Fields, Ossulstone Hundred, Dist St Giles, MDX, HO107/673 Bk 8 ED 8 F 6 Pg 4, hsehold of John & Mary MAYNARD, extracted Sep 2009.
- 1851 Census (images for ENG, transcriptions for SCT), UK, via Ancestry.com, searched Nov 2005.
- Australian birth death marriage, CD Roms, GIBSON/PARKER births, searched Dec 2003 (1998).
- 1853+ Electoral Roll, New Zealand, 1896 John & Emma GIBSON, residential, Smart Rd, New Plymouth, TNK roll, extracted Nov 2014,.
- Assorted indexes, NZ Soc. Gen. Index, Electoral Roll 1893 - Women: New Plymouth Electorate.
- "Lorna's Family History Musings", Oct 2011.
- Caroline Emma AUSTEN (8), Baptism/birth, 1854 #7211, Inspection p/copy held, Oct 1993 (Bap 8 Feb, birth 14 Jan 1854).
- Certificate, Matthias ROWE (9) & Caroline Emma Austin GIBSON (8) marriage of 04 Feb 1882 1882 Ref 99 Inspection p/copy held, Aug 1993, scanned Jan 2012.
- Caroline Emma Austin ROWE (8), DC ROWE, Emma nee GIBSON or AUSTIN, Jan 1899 TNK, NZ, Illegible inspection p/copy dated Aug 1993 held, as is a p/copy of a certified copy taken Waitara Dec 1985, rcvd Aug 1993 from Marie C, Edgecombe.
- John GIBSON (1648), Birth cert, VIC ref #18714, Inspection p/copy held, rcvd Oct 1993 (03 Aug 1859).
- James Gibson, birth, Copy rcvd pre 1999 (28 Jun 1861).
E. & O. E. Some/most parish records are rather hard to read and names, places hard to interpret, particularly if you are unfamiliar with an area.