(6 January 1782 - 21 March 1870)
|Father||Samuel Wines (cir. Apr 1750 - bef. 1841); assuming for the moment that this is the correct Rebecca as Lorna's 3*great grandmother. The one that married John Andrews could well be her cousin, dtr of Joseph & Jane Wines, but either way, the grandparents are correct1,2|
|Mother||Betty Andrews1,2 (bef. 1751 - cir. Aug 1786)|
|Relationship||3rd great-grandmother of Lorna Henderson|
BMDB dataRebekah Wines was born on 6 Jan 1782 Sth Petherton, SOM, ENG, which date agrees, more or less, with the 1841 census which shows age rounded as 60, 1851 agrees, giving her age as 70. She was christened on 6 Oct 1782 Sth Petherton, SOM; entry reads "1782 Oct 6 Rebecca daugtr of Samuel & Betty Wines."1,2
Rebekah Wines married John Andrews, son of Thomas Andrews and Elizabeth Ralph, on 1 Aug 1808 Martock, SOM, ENG, cert. reads: John Andrews and Rebekah Wines both of this parish were married in this church by Banns this first day of August in the year one thousand eight hundred and eight by me John Valentine Curate. Signed with the mark of John Andrews and Rebekah Wines in the presence of Jas Burford and John Richards.3,4,5,6,7
Rebekah Andrews died on 21 Mar 1870 Bower Hinton, Par. of Martock, SOM, ENG, at age 88; cert. reads: "At Bower Hinton, Martock, 87, widow of John Andrews, weaver, decay of nature, not certified, informant Elizabeth Ralph of Hurst, Martock present at death, X her mark". (I wonder if Elizabeth was related - possibly some connection to her husband's mother?)1,8 She was buried on 26 Mar 1870 Martock, SOM, entry reads "1870 Rebecca Andrews Hurst, Martock, Mar 26, 88."9
Census/Where lived/OccupationsRebecca Andrews and John Andrews appeared on the census of 7 Jun 1841 Hurst, Par. of Martock, SOM, ENG, and are assumed to be husband and wife. They were enumerated as ANDREWS: John 60, a weaver; Rebecca 60; William 24; Sarah 20; Stephen 20; Abraham 15; James 6 all b cty.10,1
Rebecca appeared on the census of 30 Mar 1851 with John Andrews Hurst, Par. of Martock, SOM, enumerated as ANDREWS: John, head mar 72, weaver, b. Martock; wife Rebecca 70, Washer, b. Sth Petherton. Lodger Samuel Godden 32, weaver, b. Martock.11,12
Rebekah appeared on the census of 7 Apr 1861 with John Andrews Hurst, Par. of Martock, SOM, enumerated as ANDREWS: John head 84 weaver b Martock; wife Rebeca (sic) 79 b Sth Petherton; Dtr(?) Elizabeth COOMS, widow 54 glove maker b Martock; Nephew Samuel Gouding, nephew, unm, 38 b Martock (presumably the Samuel GODDEN, 32 with them in 1851.)13
All the other infoWhen son Simon Andrews died in NZ in 1900 , his mother's name was not known by the informant for his death. Her name was determined via Simon's baptism entry. There were two Rebekah Wines born around this time, cousins. One was born 6 Jan 1782 to Samuel Wines and Betty Andrews, the other was chr 1784 to Samuel's brother Joseph Wines and his wife Jane Taylor. On the balance of probabilities, I believe that the dtr of Samuel is the one that married John Andrews as her age fits slightly better than the younger Rebekah, and there is a Martock connection via Samuel's wife Betty, either way, the grandparents are correct.14 Rebekah Wines may also have a son James, aged 6 in 1841 census, 16 in 1851 census (this needs to be rechecked as I've not noted anyone with them in 1851 and the images for 1851 clearly show the household as James, Rebecca and boarder Samuel, so where did this come from?)12
John held his farm on a copyhold lease from the lord of the manor. This type of lease covered the whole family and expired on the death of the last surviving parent or child. One of the terms of the lease was the payment of 1s per year "quit rent" in acknowledgement of the Lord of the Manor's title. The last to occupy the premises was John's widow Rebekah who was too old to attend to business matters and was probably in fairly reduced circumstances. Daughter Sarah refused to pay the rent on behalf of her mother, so the story goes, taking the attitude that the lord of the manor had no need of the money. As this was tantamount to denying the Lord of the Manor his title, his steward seized the property and sent old Rebekah to the work house.15
|John Andrews (cir. 1777 - cir. Jul 1867)|
|Charts||John & Rebekah (WINES) ANDREWS|
My pedigree chart (#1)
My pedigree chart (#2)
Ancestors (& their siblings) of Alice HENDERSON nee ANDREWS
Maternal ancestors of Lorna
My Somerset ancestors
|Last Edited||11 Jul 2016|
- W H A Songi, "Brief History of the Andrews Family of Martock in Somerset", Rcvd Aug 1993.
- Children of Samuel WINES (883) & Betty ANDREWS (884), baptisms Parish of Sth Petherton, SOM, ENG, Bap. 1782 Rebekah WINES, extracted Sep 1994.
- Certificate, John ANDREWS (38) & Rebekah WINES (37) marriage of 01 Aug 1808 Vol 5 p246 Entry #831 Extract from the Register of Marriages of Martock Vol 5 p 246 Entry #833, taken Apr 1972 by Rev Peter CONEY, The Vicarage Martock for a Mr ANDREWS (?of the London ANDREWS?), copy of letter rcvd from Janice GRIFFIN Jul 1994.
- Certificate, John ANDREWS (38) & Rebekah WINES (37) marriage of 01 Aug 1808 Vol 5 p246 Entry #831 P/copy from Sue SHARMAN rcvd Aug 1993, scanned Mar 2006, (doesn't show actual church).
- Sheila ANDREWS (7256), "FT ANDREWS/WINES ex Sheila A pre 1994", Rcvd via Sue SHARMAN May 1994.
- Letter, Deputy County Archivist R J E Bush to W H A Songi, 13 Jun 1989, p/copy rcvd from Lesley ROWE, Aug 1993.
- SOM, Martock: All Saints marriages: Fiche 2/1/4 #831 p246 1808, extracted Sep 1994.
- Rebecca ANDREWS nee WINES (37), Rebecca ANDREWS, DC 1870, P/copy of certified copy of entry (dated 1 Sep 1989) rcvd from Lesley ROWE via Sue SHARMAN May 1994, scanned Mar 2006.
- ANDREWS Burials: Martock, SOM, Martock Parish Burials 1813-1895, extracted Sep 1994.
- 1841 Census images, England & Wales, via Ancestry.com, Martock, Frome Martock Hundred, SOM HO107/951/1 Reg Dist Yeovil Sub Dist Martock ED 2 Folio 25 Pg 5, hsehold of John & Rebecca ANDREWS, copy d/loaded Apr 2006.
- 1851 Census, Martock, SOM, ENG, Martock, Dist 1B...incl the tithings of Hurst... Entry #110.
- 1851 Census images, England & Wales, via Ancestry.com, Martock, Dist of Yeovil, SOM ED 1b HO107/1930 Folio 42 Page 28 Schedule 110, copy d/loaded Nov 2005.
- 1861 Census images, England & Wales, via Ancestry.com, Husrt, Martock, SOM Dist 2, RG9/1642 Page 14 Schedule #71, extracted May 2005 & copy d/loaded Nov 2005.
- "Lorna's Family History Musings", Nov 2003.
- Janice GRIFFIN (5095), The Griffins of Taranaki, p/copy of pp 3-4 rcvd from Jackie SEWELL, Mar 1994.
- Martock ANDREWS, Births/baptisms, extracted Sep 1994 (1663-1832 with some gaps).
- W H A Songi, "Brief History of the Andrews Family of Martock in Somerset", Bap. 6 Apr 1817 William s/o John & Rebekah ANDREWS, Martock, SOM, rcvd Aug 1993.
E. & O. E. Some/most parish records are rather hard to read and names, places hard to interpret, particularly if you are unfamiliar with an area.