(30 August 1878 - 5 July 1948)
|Father||Thomas Speakman1 (cir. 1841 - Sep 1887)|
|Mother||Louisa Mary Ann Turnbull (cir. Aug 1845 - bet. Jan 1883 - Mar 1883)|
|Relationship||2nd cousin 2 times removed of Lorna Henderson|
IntroI wonder if Lionel realised that he had TURNBULL relations when he passed through NZ on one of his trips to/from Australia as London Manager of Dalgety & Co.?
By the 1930s however, his "cousin" (1st once removed) had already died.
The recent (Aug 2011) activity on this branch of the TURNBULLs was sparked by Ancestry.com advertising the inclusion of some railway records. This made me realise that I'd not researched what happened to some of Sir Robert TURNBULL's siblings and their families.
The SPEAKMANs in particular turned out to produce the usual mix of spinster school teachers, with a land agent following in his father's footsteps, a farmer in Western Australia "late of the Murchison goldfields", and Lionel.
It would appear that none of the family have any descendants, but it would be good to be proven wrong.2
BMDB dataLionel Speakman was born on 30 Aug 1878 Middlewich, Dist of Northwich, CHS, ENG.3,4,5
Lionel Speakman married Kate Barton bet. Jan 1909 - Mar 1909 reg. Dist of Strand, LND, ENG.6,7
Lionel Speakman died on 5 Jul 1948 reg. Dist of Kensington, LND, ENG, at age 69; Obituaries, both published in Australia:
Dalgety and Co.
Mr. Lionel Speakman, a director of Dalgety and Co. Ltd., and a former general manager, died in London on Monday."
Mr. Lionel Speakman, a member of the board of directors of Dalgety & Co., Ltd. has died in London following an operation. He retired in December as general manager of the company, a position he had held since 1930. Before that he was London manager of the company."8,9,10,11
MigrationLionel Speakman and Kate Speakman are shown travelling on the "S.S. Niagara", Seattle, WA, USA, arriving 19 Sep 1924 passenger list shows SPEAKMAN: Lionel 46 railway officer (5'9" born Cheshire, ENG, dark complexion brown hair and eyes) & Kate 44 wife (5'5" b Staffordshire, ENG, fair complexion, brown hair blue eyes ); dep. Sydney, NSW; Last resid. London, England.12
Lionel Speakman is shown travelling on the "Oronsay", Fremantle, WA, AUS, arriving 22 Mar 1926 Mr. Lionel Speakman, the London manager of Dalgety and Co., Ltd., who is proceeding to Sydney, where he will stay for about six months. He said that the industrial prosperity of England was dependent mainly upon industrial peace, and everything at the present time seemed to hinge upon the outcome of the trouble threatened in the coal industry.
(this being a couple of months prior to his brother Robert's death in Leederville, WA.)13
Lionel Speakman and Kate Speakman are shown travelling on the "Adolph Woermann", Southampton, HAM, ENG, arriving 24 Aug 1932 passenger list shows SPEAKMAN: Lionel 54 "commercial" & Katie 52 housewife, dep. Zanzibar. UK address 6 Canning Pl, London; Both intended resid. England.14
Lionel Speakman and Kate Speakman are shown travelling on the "S.S. Monterey", San Francisco, CA, USA, arriving 16 May 1939 SPEAKMAN: Ruth 63 home duties unm b Middlewich, ENG; Lionel 60 Dalgety's business manager b Middlewich, ENG; Katie 58 home duties b Rugeler, ENG; left Auckland 1 May 1939. All last perm. resid. London, ENG.6
Lionel Speakman and Kate Speakman are shown travelling on the "Aquitania", Southampton, HAM, ENG, arriving 6 Jun 1939 SPEAKMAN: Ruth 63 no occ; Lionel 60 manager; Katie 58 housewife; from New York. UK address Terrace House, Roehampton, London, ENG; Last/intended resid. ENG.8
Census/Where lived/OccupationsThe census of 3 Apr 1881 showed Robert and Lionel and their sister Ruth in the household of their father Thomas on Stanthorne Hill, Stanthorne, CHS, ENG, enumerated as Indexed as SPEAKWELL: Thomas, head, mar, 40 land agent (house) b Doddington CHS (no wife present); Children: Robert Prey (sic), scholar 7 b Knutsford CHS; Ruth 5 b Middlewich; Lionel 2 b Stanthorne CHS; Sister Mary SPEAKWELL un, 39 b Doddington; Boarder Charles R HALL, pupil 19 b Congelton, CHS; and a nurse, cook housemaid and groom.15 Lionel Speakman appeared on the census of 1891 on London Rd, Knutsford, Par. of St Johns, CHS, ENG, as step son of Jane Speakman.16 Lionel Speakman was not found in the census of 1901 ENG not immediately obvious.17 He was Manager Furness Railway Co. (which was absorbed into the London Midland and Scottish Railway at midnight on the 31st December 1922) bet. 1918 - 1922.18 He and Kate Speakman lived in 1939 Roehampton Vale (90), Wandsworth, LND, ENG, SPEAKMAN: Lionel General Manager Merchant Banker b. 30 Aug 1878 marr; Kate unpaid domestic duties b. 2 Jul 1880; Ruth single, Typist (Retired) b. 4 Nov 1875; TURNBULL, Eric M Electrical Engineer Assistant To Chief Mechanical Engineer Southern Railway b. 20 Feb 1888 single; SCOTT, Mary A married, cook, b. 30 Sep 1898.5 Lionel Speakman and Kate Speakman lived in 1939 Roehampton Vale (90), Putney, SRY, ENG, SPEAKMAN: Lionel, Kate, Ruth; Also Mary SCOTT.19 Lionel Speakman was "DALGETY AND CO. LTD. General Manager Retires Dalgety and Co. Ltd. have received cabled advice that Mr. Lionel Speakman, who has been general manager of the company since 1930 will retire from the service on December 31. The Board has appointed Mr. Geoffrey Scott Hunter, who has been London manager since 1944, to succeed him from January 1, 1948. Mr. Speakman began life as a railwayman, being for 22 years in the service of the London and North western Railway Co. He was assistant district goods manager at Liverpool from 1902 to 1911 and for the next seven years was district or divisional goods officer at a number of large centres. From 1918 to 1922 he was general manager of the Furness Railway Co."
(NB his uncle was Sir Robert TURNBULL, Director of the LNWR. The Furness Railway Co. was absorbed into the London Midland and Scottish Railway at midnight on the 31st December 1922) on 31 Dec 1947.18,20
Wills/bequestsLionel Speakman was confirmed as executor of the estate of Agnes Speakman on 7 Apr 1936 London, LND, ENG; probate index shows Agnes SPEAKMAN as a spinster of Beresford House Upperton Rd Eastbourne d. 5 Dec 1935 at The Terrace House Roehampton Surrey Probate London 7 Apr to Lionel SPEAKMAN Company Manager Ruth SPEAKMAN spinster Effects £3879/15/10d.21
All the other infoLionel Speakman was mentioned in the death notice of Robert Percy Speakman on 18 Jun 1926 Leederville, Perth, WA, AUS; Dth notice: SPEAKMAN.— On June 18, 1926, at his residence Robert Percy, the dearly beloved husband of Sarah Agnes Speakman and brother of Agnes and Ruth (England), and Lionel Speakman of Dalgety's (Sydney and London) aged 50 years Peace, perfect peace.
"Probates: Robert Percy Speakman, late of Leederville (died June 18, 1926) to Richard George Kelly, of West Perth."15,22,23,24
|Kate Barton (Jul 1880 - aft. 1939)|
|Last Edited||2 Jan 2016|
- 1891 Census, Various, Ancestry: Knustford CHS Dist 2 RG12/2828, Folio ? Page 2 Schedule #3, extracted Feb 2005.
- "Lorna's Family History Musings", Aug 2011.
- Www FreeBMD ENG online at http://freebmd.rootsweb.com/cgi/search.pl, Birth 1878 Q4 Lionel SPEAKMAN, reg. Northwich, CHS, 8a/282, extracted Aug 2011.
- 1891 Census images, England & Wales, via Ancestry.com, Knustford CHS Dist 2 RG12/2828, Folio ? Page 2 Schedule #3, hsehold of Jane G SPEAKMAN, extracted Feb 2005.
- 1939 unknown record type, ENG/WLS, hsehold of Lionel & Kate SPEAKMAN, Wandsworth, LND, extracted Jan 2016.
- USA Immigration Records ex Ancestry "S.S. Monterey" 16 May 1939 Ruth, Lionel & Katie SPEAKMAN, arr. California, in transit, from Auckland, NZ, dep 1 May, from California Passenger and Crew Lists, 1893-1957, series/roll M1410:354, extracted Aug 2011.
- Findmypast online at http://www.findmypast.com, Marr. 1909 Q1 Lionel SPEAKMAN & Kate BARTON, eg. Strand, LND 1B/670, extracted Aug 2011.
- Ancestry.com online at http://search.ancestry.com, "Aquitania" 6 Jun 1939 Lionel & Katie Ruth SPEAKMAN, arr. Southampton, from New York, from UK Incoming Passenger Lists, 1878-1960, Class: BT26; Piece: 1184; Item 74, extracted Aug 2011.
- Birth death marriage indexes: 1916-2005 (St Caths), http://ancestry.com, Dth 1948 Q3 Lionel SPEAKMAN, aged 69 reg. Kensington, LND 5c/880, extracted Aug 2011.
- Newspaper clippings, Obit 9 Jul 1948 Lionel SPEAKMAN, d. London, member board of directors Dalgety & Cofrom 'Business Personal.', The Advertiser (Adelaide, SA : 1931 - 1954), 9 July, p. 4, online at http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article43774032, extracted Aug 2011.
- Newspaper clippings, Obit 10 Jul 1948 Lionel SPEAKMAN, d. London, director & former GM Dalgety & Cofrom 'OBITUARY.', The Sydney Morning Herald (NSW : 1842 - 1954), 10 July, p. 4, online at http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article18077476, extracted Aug 2011.
- USA Immigration Records ex Ancestry "S.S. Niagara" 19 Sep 1924 Lionel & Kate SPEAKMAN, arr. Seattle, from Sydney, NSW dep 28 Aug, from Seattle Passenger and Crew Lists, 1882-1957, m'film M1383_100, extracted Aug 2011.
- Newspaper clippings, "Oronsay" 22 Mar 1926 Lionel SPEAKMAN, London Manager Dalgety & Co., from "ORONSAY'S PASSENGERS". (1926, March 23) The West Australian (Perth, WA : 1879 - 1954), online at http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article31915152 extracted Aug 2011.
- Ancestry.com online at http://search.ancestry.com, "Adolph Woermann" 24 Aug 1932 Lionel & Katie SPEAKMAN, arr. Southampton, from Zanzibar, from UK Incoming Passenger Lists, 1878-1960, Class: BT26; Piece: 1002; Item 40, extracted Aug 2011.
- 1881 Census transcripts, UK, via Family Search/LDS CDs, FHL Film 1341845 PRO Ref RG11 Piece 3531 Folio 75 Page 2, extracted Feb 2005.
- 1891 Census images, England & Wales, via Ancestry.com, Knutsford CHS Dist 2 RG12/2828, Folio ? Page 2 Schedule #3, hsehold of Jane G SPEAKMAN, extracted Feb 2005.
- 1901 Census, ENG, Ancestry: searched Feb 2005.
- Newspaper clippings, Retirement 31 Dec 1947 Lionel SPEAKMAN, [ITAL:GM ]Dalgety & Cofrom 'DALGETY AND CO. LTD.', The West Australian (Perth, WA : 1879 - 1954), 8 December, p. 17, online http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article46821772, extracted Aug 2011.
- Ancestry.com online at http://search.ancestry.com, 1939 Lionel, Kate & Ruth SPEAKMAN, 90 Roehampton Vale, Putney, from
London, England, Electoral Registers, 1832-1965, extracted Apr 2014.
- Newspaper clippings, Dth notice 1925 Sir Robert TURNBULL, from The Times Digital Archive, Tues Feb 24th 1925, extracted Jul 2004.
- Ancestry.com online at http://search.ancestry.com, Dth 5 Dec 1935 (The Terrace House Roehampton SRY) Probate 7 Apr (London) Agnes SPEAKMAN (spinster of Beresford House Upperton Rd Eastbourne to Lionel SPEAKMAN Company Manager Ruth SPEAKMAN spinster), from England & Wales, National Probate Calendar (Index of Wills and Administrations), 1861-1941, extracted Aug 2011.
- Ancestry.com online at http://search.ancestry.com, Dth 1926 Robert P SPEAKMAN, reg. Perth, WA, #758, from Australia Death Index, 1787-1985, extracted Aug 2011.
- Newspaper clippings, Probate 1926 Robert Percy SPEAKMAN, late of Leederville, d. 18 Jun 1926, from 'Wills of the Week.', Sunday Times (Perth, WA : 1902 - 1954), 21 November, p. 2, online at http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article58253858, extracted Aug 2011.
- Newspaper clippings, Dth 18 Jun 1926 Robert Percy SPEAKMAN, "at his residence"from 'Family Notices.', The West Australian (Perth, WA : 1879 - 1954), 19 June, p. 1, online at http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article31931616, extracted Aug 2011.
E. & O. E. Some/most parish records are rather hard to read and names, places hard to interpret, particularly if you are unfamiliar with an area.