(circa July 1871 - 5 December 1935)
|Father||Thomas Speakman1 (cir. 1841 - Sep 1887)|
|Mother||Louisa Mary Ann Turnbull (cir. Aug 1845 - bet. Jan 1883 - Mar 1883)|
|Relationship||2nd cousin 2 times removed of Lorna Henderson|
IntroAlthough Agnes was mentioned in her father's will, given my notes did not mention her sister Ruth, and she was not with the family in any of the census data I had at that stage, I thought Agnes was Ruth.
However, a burst of research activity on the TURNBULL family in Aug 2011 unearthed further data on the SPEAKMAN descendants, including a dth notice for Robert Percy in Leedeville, Perth, Western Australia which mentioned his sisters Agnes and Ruth, both of England.
A bit more digging finally unearthed a likely candidate, born Knutsford, as a principal of a girls school in the 1911 census. Still haven't found her in 1891.2
BMDB dataAgnes Speakman was born cir. Jul 1871 Knutsford, Dist of Altrincham, CHS, ENG.3,4,5 She was baptized on 25 Jul 1871 Nether Knutsford, CHS, ENG; entry shows Agnes as d/o Thomas, land agent, and Louisa Mary Ann SPEAKMAN, "baptized by R TURNBULL, Vicar of Wybunbury."5
Agnes Speakman died on 5 Dec 1935 The Terrace House, Roehampton, SRY, ENG.1,6,7
MigrationIn Aug 1905 Agnes Speakman travelled to Sienna this coming from a letter by a friend of their stepmother, author Jane Carlyle Graham (aka Mrs Speakman) which reports that: "Mrs. Speakman is back from research trip in San Gimignano and two stepdaughters are visiting." (There are only the two stepdaughters, Ruth and Agnes.)8
Census/Where lived/OccupationsAgnes Speakman appeared on the census of 1881 4 Park Rd, Nth Meols, Dist of Ormskirk, LAN, ENG, enumerated as SPEAKMAN: Agnes 9 boarder (with a number of other 7-9 yr olds.9 She was likely to be CHS, ENG, in 1891 but to date, has not been found.
Agnes Speakman appeared on the census of 1901 on Galveston Rd, Wandsworth, LND, ENG, enumerated as SPEKEMAN: Agnes 29 unm, living in 2 rooms, school teacher b Knutsford, CHS.10
Agnes Speakman appeared on the census of 1911 Bereford House School Hartfield Rd, Eastbourne, SSX, ENG, enumerated as SPEAKMAN: Agnes 39 principal girls school, b Knutsford, CHS.3
Wills/bequestsAgnes Speakman was a beneficiary of the 6 Dec 1886 will of Thomas Speakman Stanthorn Hill, Middlewich, CHS, ENG.11,12 Her estate was probated on 7 Apr 1936 London, LND, ENG; probate index shows Agnes SPEAKMAN as a spinster of Beresford House Upperton Rd Eastbourne d. 5 Dec 1935 at The Terrace House Roehampton Surrey Probate London 7 Apr to Lionel SPEAKMAN Company Manager Ruth SPEAKMAN spinster Effects £3879/15/10d.6
All the other infoAgnes Speakman was mentioned in the death notice of Robert Percy Speakman on 18 Jun 1926 Leederville, Perth, WA, AUS; Dth notice: SPEAKMAN.— On June 18, 1926, at his residence Robert Percy, the dearly beloved husband of Sarah Agnes Speakman and brother of Agnes and Ruth (England), and Lionel Speakman of Dalgety's (Sydney and London) aged 50 years Peace, perfect peace.
"Probates: Robert Percy Speakman, late of Leederville (died June 18, 1926) to Richard George Kelly, of West Perth."13,14,15,16
|Last Edited||21 Apr 2014|
- SPEAKMAN, Thomas, 1886 will (written 6 Dec 1886, probated 31 Dec 1887) MI 91/38: Copy rcvd Jul 2005.
- "Lorna's Family History Musings", Aug 2011.
- 1911 Census images, ENG, http://www.findmypast.co.uk/CensusPersonStartSearchServlet , http://ancestry.com, Eastbourne, SSX RG14PN4835 RG78PN208 RD71 SD2 ED23 SN229, Bereford House School, extracted Aug 2011.
- Www FreeBMD ENG online at http://freebmd.rootsweb.com/cgi/search.pl, Birth 1871 Q3 Agnes SPEAKMAN, reg. Altrincham, CHS 8a/196, extracted Aug 2011.
- Findmypast online at http://www.findmypast.com, Bap. 25 Jul 1871 Agnes d/o Thomas & Louisa Mary Ann SPEAKMAN, Middlewich, CHS, by R TURNBULL, Vicar of Wybunbury, from Diocese of Chester parish registers of baptisms c1538-1910, extracted from image Apr 2014.
- Ancestry.com online at http://search.ancestry.com, Dth 5 Dec 1935 (The Terrace House Roehampton SRY) Probate 7 Apr (London) Agnes SPEAKMAN (spinster of Beresford House Upperton Rd Eastbourne to Lionel SPEAKMAN Company Manager Ruth SPEAKMAN spinster), from England & Wales, National Probate Calendar (Index of Wills and Administrations), 1861-1941, extracted Aug 2011.
- Birth death marriage indexes: 1916-2005 (St Caths), http://ancestry.com, Dth 1935 Q4 Agnes SPEAKMAN, aged 64 reg. Wandsworth, LND 1d/648, extracted Aug 2011.
- TURNBULL: misc. www & corres. Aug 1905 corres. from artist Mary Rogers WILLIAMS in Sienna, excerpt from Eva KUHN (http://www.evekahn.com) rcvd Apr 2014.
- 1881 Census images, England & Wales, via Ancestry.com, Civil Par./Sub Dist North Meols Dist Ormskirk LAN RG11/3748 ED 9 F 71 Pg 35 Sched 131, (Boarding school), extracted Aug 2011.
- Findmypast online at http://www.findmypast.com, 1901 Par. St Stephens, Wandsworth LND RG13/481 ED F 157 Pg 48 Sched 326, hsehold of Agnes SPEKEMAN, extracted Aug 2011.
- SPEAKMAN, Thomas, 1886 will (written 6 Dec 1886, probated 31 Dec 1887) MI 91/38: Copy rcvd Jul 2005, MI 91/38.
- Cheshire County Council Web Site online at http://www.cheshire.gov.uk/recordoffice/, Wills database online: Thomas SPEAKMAN 1887, searched Jul 2005.
- 1881 Census transcripts, UK, via Family Search/LDS CDs, FHL Film 1341845 PRO Ref RG11 Piece 3531 Folio 75 Page 2, extracted Feb 2005.
- Ancestry.com online at http://search.ancestry.com, Dth 1926 Robert P SPEAKMAN, reg. Perth, WA, #758, from Australia Death Index, 1787-1985, extracted Aug 2011.
- Newspaper clippings, Probate 1926 Robert Percy SPEAKMAN, late of Leederville, d. 18 Jun 1926, from 'Wills of the Week.', Sunday Times (Perth, WA : 1902 - 1954), 21 November, p. 2, online at http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article58253858, extracted Aug 2011.
- Newspaper clippings, Dth 18 Jun 1926 Robert Percy SPEAKMAN, "at his residence"from 'Family Notices.', The West Australian (Perth, WA : 1879 - 1954), 19 June, p. 1, online at http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article31931616, extracted Aug 2011.
E. & O. E. Some/most parish records are rather hard to read and names, places hard to interpret, particularly if you are unfamiliar with an area.