(4 November 1875 - 1 February 1960)
|Father||Thomas Speakman2,3 (cir. 1841 - Sep 1887)|
|Mother||Louisa Mary Ann Turnbull3 (cir. Aug 1845 - bet. Jan 1883 - Mar 1883)|
|Relationship||2nd cousin 2 times removed of Lorna Henderson|
BMDB dataRuth Speakman was born on 4 Nov 1875 Middlewich, Dist of Northwich, CHS, ENG.4,5,3,6 She was baptized on 28 Dec 1875 Middlewich, CHS, ENG; entry shows Ruth as d/o Thomas, land agent, and Louisa Mary Ann SPEAKMAN, "baptized by R TURNBULL, Vicar of Wybunbury."3
Ruth Speakman died on 1 Feb 1960 90 Roehampton Vale, Putney, SRY, ENG, at age 84.1,7,8,9,10
MigrationIn Aug 1905 Ruth Speakman travelled to Sienna this coming from a letter by a friend of their stepmother, author Jane Carlyle Graham (aka Mrs Speakman) which reports that: "Mrs. Speakman is back from research trip in San Gimignano and two stepdaughters are visiting." (There are only the two stepdaughters, Ruth and Agnes.)13 On 16 May 1939 Ruth Speakman travelled on the "S.S. Monterey", San Francisco, CA, USA, with Lionel Speakman and Kate Speakman; SPEAKMAN: Ruth 63 home duties unm b Middlewich, ENG; Lionel 60 Dalgety's business manager b Middlewich, ENG; Katie 58 home duties b Rugeler, ENG; left Auckland 1 May 1939. All last perm. resid. London, ENG.8 On 6 Jun 1939 Ruth Speakman travelled on the "Aquitania", Southampton, HAM, ENG, with Lionel Speakman and Kate Speakman; SPEAKMAN: Ruth 63 no occ; Lionel 60 manager; Katie 58 housewife; from New York. UK address Terrace House, Roehampton, London, ENG; Last/intended resid. ENG.14
Census/Where lived/OccupationsThe census of 3 Apr 1881 showed Ruth and her brothers Robert and Lionel in the household of her father Thomas on Stanthorne Hill, Stanthorne, CHS, ENG, enumerated as Indexed as SPEAKWELL: Thomas, head, mar, 40 land agent (house) b Doddington CHS (no wife present); Children: Robert Prey (sic), scholar 7 b Knutsford CHS; Ruth 5 b Middlewich; Lionel 2 b Stanthorne CHS; Sister Mary SPEAKWELL un, 39 b Doddington; Boarder Charles R HALL, pupil 19 b Congelton, CHS; and a nurse, cook housemaid and groom.15 Ruth Speakman appeared on the census of 1891 on London Rd, Knutsford, Par. of St Johns, CHS, ENG, as step daughter of Jane Speakman.2 Ruth Speakman appeared on the census of 1901 34 Greenhill Park, Willesden, Par. of St Michaels, MDX, ENG, as niece(s)/nephew(s) of Edith Turnbull.4 Ruth Speakman appeared on the census of 1911 34 Greenhill Park, Harlesden NW, Willesden, MDX, ENG, as niece(s)/nephew(s) of Edith Turnbull as Ruth Speakman, an unmarried typist and shorthand writer born Middlewich, Cheshire.7 Ruth Speakman lived with Lionel Speakman and Kate Speakman in 1939 Roehampton Vale (90), Putney, SRY, ENG; SPEAKMAN: Lionel, Kate, Ruth; Also Mary SCOTT.16 Ruth Speakman lived with Lionel Speakman and Kate Speakman in 1939 Roehampton Vale (90), Wandsworth, LND, ENG; SPEAKMAN: Lionel General Manager Merchant Banker b. 30 Aug 1878 marr; Kate unpaid domestic duties b. 2 Jul 1880; Ruth single, Typist (Retired) b. 4 Nov 1875; TURNBULL, Eric M Electrical Engineer Assistant To Chief Mechanical Engineer Southern Railway b. 20 Feb 1888 single; SCOTT, Mary A married, cook, b. 30 Sep 1898.6
Wills/bequestsRuth Speakman was confirmed as executor of the estate of Agnes Speakman on 7 Apr 1936 London, LND, ENG; probate index shows Agnes SPEAKMAN as a spinster of Beresford House Upperton Rd Eastbourne d. 5 Dec 1935 at The Terrace House Roehampton Surrey Probate London 7 Apr to Lionel SPEAKMAN Company Manager Ruth SPEAKMAN spinster Effects £3879/15/10d.17 Her own estate was probated on 1 Apr 1960; index shows Ruth "of The Terrace House 90 Roehampton Vale Putney Surrey spinster died 1 February 1960" Probate to Kate SPEAKMAN widow. Effects £6547/11/4d (Kate assumed to be her sister-in-law given Ruth was living with her at that address from about 1939 at least.)10
All the other infoRuth Speakman was mentioned in the death notice of Robert Percy Speakman on 18 Jun 1926 Leederville, Perth, WA, AUS; Dth notice: SPEAKMAN.— On June 18, 1926, at his residence Robert Percy, the dearly beloved husband of Sarah Agnes Speakman and brother of Agnes and Ruth (England), and Lionel Speakman of Dalgety's (Sydney and London) aged 50 years Peace, perfect peace.
"Probates: Robert Percy Speakman, late of Leederville (died June 18, 1926) to Richard George Kelly, of West Perth."15,18,19,20
|Last Edited||2 Jan 2016|
- 1901 Census, ENG, Ancestry: Willesden, MDX Dist 14 RG13/1215, Folio 126 Page 1 Schedule #1, extracted Feb 2005.
- 1891 Census images, England & Wales, via Ancestry.com, Knutsford CHS Dist 2 RG12/2828, Folio ? Page 2 Schedule #3, hsehold of Jane G SPEAKMAN, extracted Feb 2005.
- Findmypast online at http://www.findmypast.com, Bap. 28 Dec 1875 Ruth d/o Thomas & Louisa Mary Ann SPEAKMAN, Middlewich, CHS, by R TURNBULL, Vicar of Wybunbury, from Diocese of Chester parish registers of baptisms c1538-1910, extracted from image Apr 2014.
- 1901 Census images, England & Wales, via Ancestry.com, Willesden, MDX Dist 14 RG13/1215, Folio 126 Page 1 Schedule #1, hsehold of Edith TURNBULL (indexed as TRUMBELL), extracted Feb 2005.
- Www FreeBMD ENG online at http://freebmd.rootsweb.com/cgi/search.pl, Bith 1875 Q4 Ruth SPEAKMAN, reg. Dec qtr 1875 in Northwich, CHS, 8a/284, extracted Feb 2005.
- 1939 unknown record type, ENG/WLS, hsehold of Lionel & Kate SPEAKMAN, Wandsworth, LND, extracted Jan 2016.
- 1911 Census images, ENG, http://www.findmypast.co.uk/CensusPersonStartSearchServlet , http://ancestry.com, 34 Greenhill Park, Harlesden NW Willesden, MDX RG14PN7022 RG78PN346A RD129 SD1 ED42 SN150, hsehold of Edith TURNBULL, transcript d/loaded May 2009.
- USA Immigration Records ex Ancestry "S.S. Monterey" 16 May 1939 Ruth, Lionel & Katie SPEAKMAN, arr. California, in transit, from Auckland, NZ, dep 1 May, from California Passenger and Crew Lists, 1893-1957, series/roll M1410:354, extracted Aug 2011.
- Birth death marriage indexes: 1916-2005 (St Caths), http://ancestry.com, Dth 1960 Q1 Ruth SPEAKMAN, aged 84, reg. Wandsworth, LND 5d/901, extracted Aug 2011.
- UK Probate Calendar by via Ancestry.com online at http://ancestry.com, Dth 1 Feb Probate 1 Apr 1960, Ruth SPEAKMAN, Putney, to Kate SPEAKMAN, widow, extracted Apr 2014.
- "Lorna's Family History Musings", Apr 2014.
- Google Books online at books.google.com, 'Some Letters from Abroad of James Elroy Flecker', pub. Heinemann (1930) http://books.google.co.nz/books, extracted Apr 2014.
- TURNBULL: misc. www & corres. Aug 1905 corres. from artist Mary Rogers WILLIAMS in Sienna, excerpt from Eva KUHN (http://www.evekahn.com) rcvd Apr 2014.
- Ancestry.com online at http://search.ancestry.com, "Aquitania" 6 Jun 1939 Lionel & Katie Ruth SPEAKMAN, arr. Southampton, from New York, from UK Incoming Passenger Lists, 1878-1960, Class: BT26; Piece: 1184; Item 74, extracted Aug 2011.
- 1881 Census transcripts, UK, via Family Search/LDS CDs, FHL Film 1341845 PRO Ref RG11 Piece 3531 Folio 75 Page 2, extracted Feb 2005.
- Ancestry.com online at http://search.ancestry.com, 1939 Lionel, Kate & Ruth SPEAKMAN, 90 Roehampton Vale, Putney, from
London, England, Electoral Registers, 1832-1965, extracted Apr 2014.
- Ancestry.com online at http://search.ancestry.com, Dth 5 Dec 1935 (The Terrace House Roehampton SRY) Probate 7 Apr (London) Agnes SPEAKMAN (spinster of Beresford House Upperton Rd Eastbourne to Lionel SPEAKMAN Company Manager Ruth SPEAKMAN spinster), from England & Wales, National Probate Calendar (Index of Wills and Administrations), 1861-1941, extracted Aug 2011.
- Ancestry.com online at http://search.ancestry.com, Dth 1926 Robert P SPEAKMAN, reg. Perth, WA, #758, from Australia Death Index, 1787-1985, extracted Aug 2011.
- Newspaper clippings, Probate 1926 Robert Percy SPEAKMAN, late of Leederville, d. 18 Jun 1926, from 'Wills of the Week.', Sunday Times (Perth, WA : 1902 - 1954), 21 November, p. 2, online at http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article58253858, extracted Aug 2011.
- Newspaper clippings, Dth 18 Jun 1926 Robert Percy SPEAKMAN, "at his residence"from 'Family Notices.', The West Australian (Perth, WA : 1879 - 1954), 19 June, p. 1, online at http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article31931616, extracted Aug 2011.
E. & O. E. Some/most parish records are rather hard to read and names, places hard to interpret, particularly if you are unfamiliar with an area.