(circa 1809 - 30 September 1855)
|Father||William Gray2 (cir. Jul 1760 - Aug 1829)|
|Mother||Margaret Sutherland2 (cir. 1767 - Jan 1848)|
|Relationship||1st cousin 6 times removed of Lorna Henderson|
BMDB dataMargaret Gray was born cir. 1809 Torm(e)sdale, Par. of Halkirk, CAI, SCT, In 1851 Margaret thought she was born abt 1811, by the time she died, family thought she was 2 years older.3,4
Margaret Gray married William Murray on 6 Aug 1830 Par. of Halkirk, CAI, SCT, William Murray in Olgrinmore and Margaret GRAY in Tongside.5
Margaret Murray died on 30 Sep 1855 Olgrinmore, Par. of Halkirk, CAI, SCT; cert. shows Margaret MURRAY as 46 born Tormsdale, 46 years in this parish; Married to William MURRAY, farmer, Olgrinmore; Issue: Margaret 24, Donald 22, William 20, James 18, Benjamin dec'd 6 mos, Jane 15, Betty 13, Sinclair 10, Christian 8, Benjamin 5; Died 3pm at Olgrinmore of fever, 4 weeks, no medical attendant; Buried Halkirk Church Yard, cert. by Francis SUTHERLAND, grave digger; Inf. husband William MURRAY; Reg. Halkirk 11 Oct 1855.3,2 She was buried with William Murray Halkirk, Par. of Halkirk, CAI, SCT, #236: TS (tablestone) Don Murray catechist this par. 16.6.1838 77, Jane DAVIDSON 10.[4?]1834 71, s Ben 1811 9, Dtr Margt 30.9.1855 46, Wm d Olgrinmore 12.5.1883 84 Elder FC Westerdale (see Auld: Minsters and Men in the Far North.)6
Census/Where lived/OccupationsBy Aug 1830 Margaret Gray was living Tongside, Par. of Halkirk, CAI, SCT.1
Margaret Murray and William Murray appeared on the census of 1841 Olgrinmore, Par. of Halkirk, CAI, SCT, and are assumed to be husband and wife. They were enumerated as MURRAY: William 40 farmer; assumed wife Margret (sic) 37 ; assumed children: Margret 9, Donald 7, William 6, James 4, Cand (as per ancestry, assumed to be Jane, which FreeCen confirms) 1; Also F.S.: Janet TAIT 15 (x2 on ancestry & FreeCen), Margret SUTHERLAND 12; All b CAI.8,9
Margaret Murray appeared on the census of 1851 Olgrinmore, Par. of Halkirk, CAI, with William Murray, enumerated as MURRAY (all b Halkirk): William 51 farmer 20 acres; wife Margaret 40; Children: Margaret 18 farm serv; Donald 16 farmer's son; William 14, James 12, Jane 9, Betty 7 (all scholars); Sinclair (m) 5; Christiana 3; Benjamin 1. Servant BUDGE: Mary 20 b Halkirk
(ancestry) MURRAY: William 51 farmer 21 ac; wife Margaret 42 both b Halkirk; Children: Margaret 18 servant; Donald 16 (no occ), William 14, James 12,Jane 9, Betty 7, all scholars; Sinclair 5, Christiana 3, Benjamin 1, all b Halkirk; Servant Mary BRIDGE ?BUDGE seems more likely, which FreeCen confirms? 20 b Halkirk.4,10
External linksClick here to see Margaret's page on WikiTree, a (free) collaborative on-line tree.11
|William Murray (cir. May 1799 - May 1883)|
|Last Edited||25 Nov 2013|
- Births christenings marriages: Halkirk, CAI, SCT, Mar. 1831 Margaret GRAY to William MURRAY, transcr. Sep/Oct 1994.
- Letter, Robert B to Lorna Henderson, Dth 30 Sep 1855 Margaret MURRAY nee GRAY, Olgringbeg, Halkirk, rcvd Jul 2009.
- Scottish BMDB entries (from 1855), http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/index.php, Dth 30 Sep 1855 Margaret MURRAY nee GRAY, mother SUTHERLAND, Olgrinmore, Halkirk, CAI, 037 #31, copy d/loaded Jul 2009.
- FreeCensus, UK online at http://www.freecen.org.uk/, 1851 Olgrinmore, Halkirk, CAI SCT1851/34 ED 8 Pg 4 Sched 13, hsehold of William & Margaret MURRAY, extracted Jan 2006.
- Births christenings marriages: Halkirk, CAI, SCT, Mar. 6 Aug 1830 Margaret GRAY (Tongside) to William MURRAY (Olgrinmore), transcr. Sep/Oct 1994, copy d/loaded Jul 2009.
- A S COWPER & I ROSS, MIs: CAI Halkirk, Vol 3 pt 11, #236: Donald MURRAY and family, extracted Jul 2009.
- "Lorna's Family History Musings", Apr 2004, updated Jul 2009.
- 1841 Census transcripts, Scotland, via Ancestry.com, Olgrinmond (assumed to be Olrginmore), Halkirk, CAI, Par. 37 ED 12 Pg 1, hsehold of William & Margret (sic) MURRAY, extracted Jul 2009.
- FreeCensus, UK online at http://www.freecen.org.uk/, SCT1841/37 Olgrinmore, Halkirk, CAI ED 12 Pg 1, hsehold of William & Margret MURRAY, extracted Jul 2009.
- 1851 Census transcripts, Scotland, via Ancestry.com, Olgrinmore, Halkirk, CAI Par. 37 ED 8 Pg 4 Sched 13, hsehold of William & Margaret MURRAY, rechecked Jul 2009.
- WikiTree online at http://WikiTree.com/, Oct-11.
- Online search: assorted surnames, International Genealogical Index (IGI), MURRAY/GRAY births, batch C110375, Halkirk, extracted Jun 2004.
E. & O. E. Some/most parish records are rather hard to read and names, places hard to interpret, particularly if you are unfamiliar with an area.