(circa March 1834 - after 1880)
|Father||Joseph Matters1,2 (cir. Oct 1799 - Apr 1869)|
|Mother||Mary Cudlip1,2 (cir. Aug 1800 - Jan 1873)|
|Relationship||1st cousin 4 times removed of Lorna Henderson|
BMDB dataElizabeth Matters was born cir. Mar 1834 Bere Ferrers, Par. of Bere Ferrers, DEV, ENG.1 She was baptized on 2 Mar 1834 Bere Ferrers, Par. of Bere Ferrers, DEV; to Joseph, a husbandman, and Mary of Beer Alston.2
Elizabeth Matters married John Northmore bet. Mar 1857 - Jun 1857 Dist of Tavistock, DEV, ENG.3
Elizabeth Matters died aft. 1880 ?Ishpeming, Marquette Co., MI, USA.1
Census/Where lived/OccupationsElizabeth Matters appeared on the census of 7 Jun 1841 Chapel St, Bere Ferrers, Par. of Bere Ferrers, DEV, ENG, in the household of Joseph Matters and Mary Matters.5
The census of 31 Mar 1851 showed Elizabeth and Anne and their brothers Richard, Joseph, Isaac and John in the household of their parents Joseph and Mary Matters Fore St, Bere Alston, Par. of Bere Ferrers, DEV, ENG, enumerated as MATTERS (all b Beerferris): Joseph 51, farmer 6 acres; Mary wife, 50. Richard, son, 27, unm, engine driver; Joseph, son, 22, engine driver; Isaac, son, 20, mine lab; Elizabeth, dtr, 17, house servt; John, son, 14, shop boy; Anne, dtr, 8, scholar.6 Elizabeth Matters was house servant on 31 Mar 1851 Buralston, Beerferris, Tavistock, DEV, ENG.1 She appeared on the census of 1860 Eagle River, Houghton, Houghton Co., MI, USA, in the household of Richard Cudlip Metters and Jane Matters.7,4
Elizabeth Northmore appeared on the census of 1870 nr Hancock PO, Franklin, Houghton Co., MI, USA, with John Northmore, enumerated as NORTHMORE (misindexed as NORTHMON): John 35 school teacher b. ENG $175 personal property; Elizabeth 35 keeping hse b. ENG;
Ellen* 16 b. ENG, Edith C 10,b. MI, both at school; John N 7, Mary A 6, Samuel J 2, Wm Henry 8/12 b. Sep, all b. MI.
* is this Ellen actually Elizabeth's niece? Dtr of Richard and Jane (ADAMS) MATTERS?8
Elizabeth Northmore appeared on the census of 1880 Ishpeming, Marquette Co., MI, USA, with John Northmore, enumerated as NORTHMORE (indexed as NORTHNORE: John 46 teaching school b. ENG F/M b. ENG; Elizibath 46 keeping house b. ENG F/M b. ENG; Chidlren (all b. MI F/M b. ENG): John 18 works in RR Office, Mary 15, Willie 11 both at school; Servant Richard MATHERS (sic) 57 b. ENG, F/M b. ENG (assumed to be Elizabeth's brother)
Nearby: CUDLIP: James 24 b. WLS F/M b. ENG; wife Leah 20 keeping hse b. NJ F/M b. ENG; Children: Carrie May 2, Eliza Jane 9/12 b. Oct both b. MI F b. Wales M b. NJ.9
NamesIn 1857 her surname was recorded as Metters.3
|John Northmore (cir. 1835 - )|
|Last Edited||14 Aug 2016|
- Census: DEV 1851, PRO Ref HO/107/1883 Folio 38 Page 12 Film 0221032.
- Val Symis (30421), "EM DAWE/TAYLOR ex Val SYMIS," e-mail to L Henderson (1), Bap. 1834 Elizabeth METTERS, Beer Ferrers, ex Deanery Of Tamerton - Baptisms 1813-1839, Marriages 1754-1837 And Burials 1813-1837, extracted Feb 2006.
- Findmypast online at http://www.findmypast.com, Marr. 1857 Q2 Elizabeth METTERS & John NORTHMORE, Tavistock, DEV, 5b/634, extracted Dec 2015.
- "Lorna's Family History Musings", Dec 2015.
- Val Symis (30421), "EM DAWE/TAYLOR ex Val SYMIS," e-mail to L Henderson (1), 1841 Census: Beer Ferris, DEV, HO107/240/2 pg 5, copy rcvd Jan 2006.
- Census: DEV 1851, PRO Ref HO/107/1883 Folio 38 Page 12 Film 0221032, extracted pre 2000.
- 1860 Census images, USA, Houghton, Houghton, Michigan; Roll: M653_544; Page: 717; Image: 715; Family History Library Film: 803544, hsehold of Ricahrd & Jane MATHEWS (sic), extracted Dec 2015.
- 1870 Census images, USA, nr Hancock PO, Franklin, Houghton, Michigan; Roll: M593_674; Page: 639A; Image: 119; Family History Library Film: 552173, hsehold of John & Elizabeth NORTHMORE (indexed as NORTHMON), extracted Dec 2015.
- 1880 Census images, USA, Ishpeming, Marquette, Michigan; Roll: 593; Family History Film: 1254593; Page: 270A; Enumeration District: 023, hsehold of John & Elizabeth NORTHMORE (indexed as NORTHNORE), extracted Aug 2016.
- Utah, USA, Michigan, BDM index, via ancestry.com: Marr. 19 Jul 1898 William Henry s/o John NORTHMORE & Elizabeth MATTERS (indexed as WATTERS); Leta A COLE d/o William GRAFFARN & Mary DAVIS, Milwaukee, Milwaukee, WI, from https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XRFW-T4F pg.330,Vol 119,#2223; FHL microfilm 1,014,003, extracted Aug 2016.
E. & O. E. Some/most parish records are rather hard to read and names, places hard to interpret, particularly if you are unfamiliar with an area.