Richard Cudlip Metters1
(circa December 1823 - after 1870)
|Father||Joseph Matters2 (cir. Oct 1799 - Apr 1869)|
|Mother||Mary Cudlip2 (cir. Aug 1800 - Jan 1873)|
|Relationship||1st cousin 4 times removed of Lorna Henderson|
BMDB dataRichard Cudlip Metters was born cir. Dec 1823 Bere Ferrers, Par. of Bere Ferrers, DEV, ENG.2,3 He was baptized on 7 Dec 1823 Bere Ferrers, Par. of Bere Ferrers, DEV; Joseph a husbandman of Beer Alston.1
Richard Cudlip Metters married Jane Adams on 26 Apr 1851 Par. Ch, Stoke Damerel, DEV, ENG, cert. shows Richard as 27, engineer, resid. 67 Fore St, s/o Joseph MATTERS, farmer; Jane as 22 resid. 32 Tavistock St, d/o William ADAMS, waterman; Richard MATTERS his mark, Jane signed; Wit: Henry HEYDON, Anne ?POYNTER? (Richard's sister Anne would only be 8, so unlikely to be her.)4
Richard Cudlip Metters died aft. 1870 ?Houghton Twp, Keweenaw Co., MI, USA.5
Census/Where lived/OccupationsRichard Cudlip Metters appeared on the census of 7 Jun 1841 Chapel St, Bere Ferrers, Par. of Bere Ferrers, DEV, ENG, in the household of Joseph Matters and Mary Matters.6
The census of 31 Mar 1851 showed Richard, Joseph, Isaac and John and their sisters Elizabeth and Anne in the household of their parents Joseph and Mary Matters Fore St, Bere Alston, Par. of Bere Ferrers, DEV, ENG, enumerated as MATTERS (all b Beerferris): Joseph 51, farmer 6 acres; Mary wife, 50. Richard, son, 27, unm, engine driver; Joseph, son, 22, engine driver; Isaac, son, 20, mine lab; Elizabeth, dtr, 17, house servt; John, son, 14, shop boy; Anne, dtr, 8, scholar.7 Richard Cudlip Metters was engine driver on 31 Mar 1851 Buralston, Beerferris, Tavistock, DEV, ENG.2
Richard Cudlip Metters appeared on the census of 1860 Eagle River, Houghton, Houghton Co., MI, USA, with Jane Matters, enumerated as MATHEWS (sic): Richard 35 miner; Jane 30 keeping hse; (assumed) children: Mary J 8, Ellen E 6, Richard 4 all b. ENG; William 2, b. PA; NORTHMORE: John 25 miner, Elizabeth 26, both b. ENG;
My theory is that MATHEWS is actually MATTERS, and Elizabet NORTHMORE is nee MATTERS, Richard's sister. Their respective ages fit, and Richard marr. Jane ADAMS Apr 1851. Which theory looks good when Richard found in 1870 as MATTERS, along with son Wm J, and what looks to be dtr Mary as recently married to John HOCKING.8,9
Richard Cudlip Metters appeared on the census of 1870 nr Phoenix PO, Houghton Twp, Keweenaw Co., MI, USA, enumerated as MATTERS: Richd engine driver 47 b ENG, both parents of foreign birth, US citizen; Wm J, 12 at school, b PA; Also HOCKING: John 24 copper miner marr in Jan, Mary J 18 keeping hse, marr. in Jan, both b ENG; (which looks like dtr Mary J "MATHEWS" and son Wm, from 1860 census.)3 He appeared on the census of 1880 Ishpeming, Marquette Co., MI, USA, in the household of John Northmore and Elizabeth Northmore as a servant.10
NamesHis surname was recorded as Metters.5 Richard Cudlip Metters was also known as Richard Matters.3,2
|Jane Adams (cir. 1829 - )|
|Last Edited||12 Aug 2016|
- Val Symis (30421), "EM DAWE/TAYLOR ex Val SYMIS," e-mail to L Henderson (1), Bap. 1823 Richard Cudlip METTERS, Beer Ferrers, ex Deanery Of Tamerton - Baptisms 1813-1839, Marriages 1754-1837 And Burials 1813-1837, extracted Feb 2006.
- Census: DEV 1851, PRO Ref HO/107/1883 Folio 38 Page 12 Film 0221032.
- 1870 Census images, USA, Houghton, Keweenaw, MI Roll: M593_683; Pg: 708; Image: 92, hsehold of Richd MATTERS, extracted May 2007.
- Births marriages burials: DEV, ENG, Marr. 26 Apr 1851 Richard (27) s/o Joseph MATTERS & Jane (22) d/o William ADAMS, Par. Ch, Stoke Damerel, DEV, extracted Dec 2015.
- USA census images, Various, 1870 Houghton, Keweenaw, MI Roll: M593_683; Pg: 708; Image: 92, hsehold of Richd MATTERS, extracted May 2007.
- Val Symis (30421), "EM DAWE/TAYLOR ex Val SYMIS," e-mail to L Henderson (1), 1841 Census: Beer Ferris, DEV, HO107/240/2 pg 5, copy rcvd Jan 2006.
- Census: DEV 1851, PRO Ref HO/107/1883 Folio 38 Page 12 Film 0221032, extracted pre 2000.
- 1860 Census images, USA, Houghton, Houghton, Michigan; Roll: M653_544; Page: 717; Image: 715; Family History Library Film: 803544, hsehold of Ricahrd & Jane MATHEWS (sic), extracted Dec 2015.
- "Lorna's Family History Musings", Dec 2015.
- 1880 Census images, USA, Ishpeming, Marquette, Michigan; Roll: 593; Family History Film: 1254593; Page: 270A; Enumeration District: 023, hsehold of John & Elizabeth NORTHMORE (indexed as NORTHNORE), extracted Aug 2016.
- Utah, USA, Michigan, Deaths, 1867-1897, (images): Dth 7 Oct 1927 Mrs Ellen HARWOOD, d/o Richard MATTERS & Jane ADAMS; wid. of Henry HARWOOD, Marquette, Marquette Co., MI, extracted Aug 2016.
E. & O. E. Some/most parish records are rather hard to read and names, places hard to interpret, particularly if you are unfamiliar with an area.