(4 May 1873 - 20 February 1917)
|Father||Walter Davidson2,1 (Nov 1848 - Oct 1881)|
|Mother||Jessie McIntyre3 (cir. 1854 - Dec 1915)|
|Relationship||1st cousin 2 times removed of Lorna Henderson|
John & Walter DAVIDSON c 1886
BMDB dataJohn Davidson was born on 4 May 1873 St Andrews, Edinburgh, MLN, SCT, (on igi for both Colinton and Edinburgh, MLN, SCT.)1,3
John Davidson married Edith Stewart, daughter of Alexander Stewart and Mary Moore, on 26 Feb 1896 in the Trinity Ch, Sth Elmsley, ONT, CAN, by license, Minister: Rev C A French Wit: John Joynt & Ann Morrison (the Joynt and Morrison families were neighbours, John having been placed with the Morrisons and his brother Walter with the Joynt family on their arrival in Canada.)4,5
John Davidson died on 20 Feb 1917 Wharncliffe War Hosp, Wadsley, YKS, ENG, at age 43; presumably as a result of the wounds received in France the previous year.2,6,7 He was buried Wadsley Churchyard, YKS, ENG.4,6
MigrationJohn Davidson immigrated from Glasgow, 28 Mar 1890, sailing via Derry. on the SS Siberian arriving 10 Apr 1890 Halifax,NS,CAN Quarriers having transported them as "Home Children". Passenger list shows John, 17; Walter 12; Robert 8, all destined for Brockville.2,8
Census/Where lived/OccupationsJohn and Walter appeared on the census of 3 Apr 1881 Road (off Kirkgate), Chirnside, BEW, SCT, in the household of Walter and Jessie Davidson as children of Walter.1
The siblings, John Davidson, lived with their mother Jessie Davidson cir. 1887 Glasgow, LKS, SCT; having moved to be nearer her family after her husband, Walter, died.2 John Davidson lived Bastard & Burgess Twp, Leeds Co., ONT, CAN, fr 1890 - 1896 having been placed with the Morrison family (where he met his future wife). He was shown as still living there with the Morrisons in the 1891 census, and when he married his place of residence was the same.4
John Davidson appeared on the census of 1891 Bastard & Burgess, Leeds South, ONT, CAN, with Edith Stewart, enumerated as MORRISON: Andrew 43 ; wife Sophia 41 ; domestic John DAVIDSON 18 b .SCT ; Edith STEWART 13 (John's future wife); John MclEAN 17.9 John Davidson and Edith Davidson were living Ottawa, ONT, CAN, aft. 1898 John having moved the family there.4
The census of 1911 showed John with his wife Edith, their son William, their dtr Jessie Lett St (34), Victoria Ward, Ottawa City, ONT, CAN, household enumerated as DAVIDSON: John 37 b Sct, May 1873, emig 1892, labourer in building industry, (40/59/400) held ins. to value $1000/300; wife Edith 36 b Ontario Dec 1875, both of Scotch origin, Canadian nationality, Anglican; Son William D (sic, but should be S) 13 b Ont Aug 1897; Dtr Jessie M 8 b Ont Oct 1902; Lodger: CAMPBELL: David T 21 b ONT Nov 1889, teamster (50/60/500.)10 On 22 Sep 1914 John Davidson was living 34 Left St, Ottawa, ONT, CAN, as next of kin to son William Stuart on the latter's enlistment.11 Bef. 1916 John Davidson was worked as a teamster until he joined the CEF (assumed to be the Canadian Expeditionary Forces) Ottawa, ONT.4
MilitaryOn 22 Sep 1914 John Davidson 34 Left St, Ottawa, ONT, CAN, was named as next of kin for William Stuart Davidson.11 John Davidson began military service bef. Aug 1916 probably in ?QUE, CAN.4,6 He was in military service fr Aug 1916 - Nov 1916 FRA being returned to England when he was wounded (Nov 1916.)4 On 22 Sep 1916 John Davidson was named as next of kin for William Stuart Davidson Valcartier, CAN; his attestation paper for the 2nd Field Battery giving the following details: living Bastard & Burgess Township, Ontari, next of kin father John Davidson of 34 Left St, Ottawa; forn 3 Aug 1896 (actually 1897), apprentice by trade, single, had served 1 season in 5th ?PLDG?11 John Davidson ended military service on 20 Feb 1917 Private J Davidson, Canadian Infantry (Quebec Regt), 87th Bn, Service No #145140, died 20 Feb 1917, buried Wadsley Churchyard, Yorkshire, grave #8, 1 of 53 casualties buried there.6
All the other infoJohn Davidson was aged 8 when his father Walter Davidson died on 27 Oct 1881.2 Cir. 1887 Jessie turned her 3 sons over to Quarriers, having been unable to find work. Jessie was given work as a cook in one of the children's homes and the boys were sent to care, John to learn a trade, Robert and Walter to an infirmary because they both had whooping cough. Jessie's sister accompanied her when she signed over the boys and the sister strongly objected to the boys being sent to Canada.12
John Davidson was the informant for the death of his mother Jessie Renshaw on 24 Dec 1915 St John's Hosp., Ottawa, Carleton Co., ONT, CAN.13,4 John Davidson was described on his attestation papers as 5ft 6ins, 42 in chest with 3½ in expansion, of med. complexion with blue eyes and brown hair, C of E, no distinguishing marks or peculiarites on 26 Aug 1916 Ottawa, ONT, CAN.11
|Edith Stewart (Aug 1875 - Jul 1926)|
John & Bessie (FFLINT) FAIRBAIRN
|Last Edited||16 Nov 2018|
- 1881 Census transcripts, UK, via Family Search/LDS CDs, FHL Film 0224029 GRO Ref Volume 730 EnumDist 2 Page 12, rechecked Dec 2003.
- Shirley Heaton (36523), "EM DAVIDSON/McINTYRE ex Shirley H," e-mail to Lorna Henderson, rcvd Dec 2003.
- DAVIDSON, International Genealogical Index (IGI), DAVIDSON/McINTYRE births, batch C116853, extracted c 1993.
- Shirley Heaton (36523), "EM DAVIDSON/McINTYRE ex Shirley H," e-mail to Lorna Henderson, rcvd Jan 2004.
- Ancestry.com online at http://search.ancestry.com, Marr. 1896 Edith STEWART and John DAVIDSON, from Ontario marriage index 1858-1899, searched Feb 2006, shows day as 18th, possibly when license issued?
- C'Wealth War Graves online at http://www.cwgc.org/, DAVIDSON dths, searched Jan 2004.
- Misc. web searches and corres. re DAVIDSON http://www.wharncliffewarhospital.co.uk/, extracted Dec 2015.
- Misc. web searches and corres. re DAVIDSON http://www.archives.ca Home Children, searched Jan 2004.
- 1891 Census images, Canada, via Ancestry, Bastard and Burgess South, Leeds South, Ontario; Roll: T-6349; Family No: 108, hsehold of Andrew & Sophia MORRISON, extracted Dec 2015.
- Census image, Canada, via Ancestry.com, 1911, Ottawa City, ONT Dist 105 Sub Dist Victoria Ward #43 Pg 6, hsehold of John & Edith DAVIDSON, copy d/loaded Feb 2006.
- Misc. web searches and corres. re DAVIDSON http://www.archives.ca WWI attestation papers online, searched Jan 2004.
- Shirley Heaton (36523), "EM DAVIDSON/McINTYRE ex Shirley H," e-mail to Lorna Henderson, rcvd Dec 2003 (extracted from Quarriers records).
- Ancestry.com online at http://search.ancestry.com, Dth 1915 Jessie RENSHAW, cert. #011119, Ontaria dths 1869-1932, copy d/loaded Feb 2006.
- Beechwood Cemetery Registers, 1873-1990 , Bur. 28 Apr 1989 Jessie M EVANS d/o John DAVIDSON & Edtih STEWART, Beechwood Cem., Ottawa, ONT, extracted Nov 2018.
E. & O. E. Some/most parish records are rather hard to read and names, places hard to interpret, particularly if you are unfamiliar with an area.