(11 November 1850 - 4 March 1924)
|Father||James Bain4,5 (cir. 1822 - Mar 1879)|
|Mother||Helen Andrew4,5 (cir. 1821 - Nov 1896)|
|Relationship||1st cousin 4 times removed of Lorna Henderson|
BMDB dataJohanna Bain was born on 11 Nov 1850 Clashcriby, Par. of Latheron, CAI, SCT, (although her baptism entry clearly shows a birth date of 11 Nov 1851, I believe she is the Jane shown as a dtr in the 1851 census aged 5 mths. This ties in with the birth date of Nov 1850 given in the 1900 USA census, and the month at least is consistent with her 1852 baptism. The 1870 census also implies 1850. Age at death is 73 yrs 3 mths, which calculates back to Nov/Dec 1850. Also, given that James and Helen seem to have baptised all their children, and that there is no baptism entry for a Jane, I rest my case for the prosecution.)6,7,4,8,9 Some sources show Johanna as born on 11 Nov 1851 Clashscribie?, Par. of Latheron, CAI, SCT, (as stated above, I believe the year to be an error on her baptism entry.)7,10,2,8 She was baptized on 10 Jan 1852 Latheron, CAI, SCT; the entry reads: Johanna l.d. (lawful dtr) James Bain, labourer, and Nelly Andrew, born 1851 Nov 11 Clashscriby, bap. 10 Jan 1852 by Rev W Ferguson.2,4
Johanna Bain married Alexander Kerr on 17 Feb 1887 Elizabeth, Union Co., NJ, USA, the cert. copy (dated May 2007) shows Johanna as d/o James BAINO (sic) and Ellen --, and Alexander as s/o James and Margaret KERR, reg. 20th Feb 1887.11,12
Jane Kerr died on 4 Mar 1924 Trenton, Mercer Co., NJ, USA; Name of deceased: Jane Kerr; place of death: Trenton. NJ; date of death: March 4, 1924; sex: Female; Color: W Date of birth: (blank) Age: 73 yrs., 3 mos; Cause of death: Heart Disease, Acute Gall Bladder Trouble; Name of Person Who Certified Cause of Death: C.J. Craythorne; Signed Joan M. Alloway, City Hall, Room 214, 319 E. State St. Trenton, NJ 08608" (73 yrs, 3mths tracks back to 4 Dec 1850.)9,8 She was buried on 5 Mar 1924 Evergreen Cem., Hillside, NJ, USA, in the Eilbacher Vault.13
MigrationJohanna Bain immigrated to NJ, USA, in 1866; ?on her own at age 16? My initial assumption was that she travelled with her sister Kate, as Kate is mentioned in the 1924 letter from sister Hannah to Jean/Johanna's son William: "your Aunt Kate used to tell us all about you". But if so, Kate returned to Caithness, by at least 1893. However I've no sightings of Kate or Johanna from 1861 thru 1880 (Johanna) or to 1893 (Kate, although she is possibly in Edinburgh in 1891.)6,14
Census/Where lived/OccupationsThe census of 30 Mar 1851 showed Margaret, Katherine, Janet and Jane in the household of their parents James and Helen Bain Clashscribie, Par. of Latheron, CAI, SCT, enumerated as BAIN: James, head, mar, 30, farmer 5 acres, b Latheron; Helen, 30 wife b Bower; Dtrs (all b Latheron): Margaret 7, Katherine 5, Janet 3, Jane 4 mths. This is one of 3 neighbouring census entries, on one side are James' parents John and Catherine, with their dtr Jane; the other side being James' brother Donald and his family.7
The census of 7 Apr 1861 showed Catherine, Johanna, Hannah, Alexandrina and Betsy in the household of their parents James and Helen Bain Clashscribie, Par. of Latheron, CAI, enumerated as James BAIN, farmer, 41 b Latheron Par., Helen, 40 b Bower Par. Children: Catherine, 15, b Wick Par, Johan 9, Hannah 6, Alexandrina 4, Betsy 1 all b Latheron Par. Also John 10mths, and sister Jean 30, both b Latheron Par. Mother: Catherine GRAY, 73 widow b Watten Parish.
(it is assumed that John is the son of Jean).5
Johanna Bain appeared on the census of 12 Jun 1880 Elizabeth, Union Co., NJ, USA, enumerated as Jenny BAINE 28 servant b SCT (indexed as Jenn Y) in hsehold of John & Esther A RALSTON.15
Johanna Kerr appeared on the census of 1895 Elizabeth, Union Co., NJ, with Alexander Kerr, enumerated as KERR: Alexander, Johanna both aged 50-60 Assumed children:James B ?5-60?, Alexander Jr over 5, George W, William both 5 and under, all "native born"; Also Martha Page, John Jones.11
Johanna Kerr appeared on the census of 2 Jun 1900 307 Trinity Pl, Elizabeth, Union Co., NJ, USA, with Alexander Kerr, enumerated as KERR: Alexander S mason 58 b May 1842 SCT F/M b SCT emig 1867; Johanna 49 b Nov 1850 SCT F/M b SCT emig 1866; Married 13 yrs 3 children 2 living; Children: Alexander M Jr 25 b Aug 1874 (so from 1st marr) mason; George W 9 b Jul 1890 both b NJ F/M b SCT; Also servant Matilda TAYLOR b VI, F/M b VI (son William not yet found.)6
The census of 1910 showed Johanna with her husband Alexander, their sons George and William Elizabeth, Union Co., NJ, household enumerated as KERR: Alexander 67 mason b SCT 2nd marr; wife Johanna 58 marr 28 yrs 3 children 2 living b SCT emig 1866; Children: George W 19, William T 18 both b NJ F/M b SCT.14 Johanna Bain appeared on the census of 3 Jan 1920 Elizabeth, Union Co., NJ, as mother of George Washington Kerr.16
All the other infoJohanna outlived her husband Alexander Kerr who died on 25 Mar 1917.14,16,17
Johanna Bain was mentioned in the letter Hannah Bain sent to William Thomas Kerr on 1 Apr 1924 from 24 High St, Wick, CAI, SCT; having been informed by him of his mother/her sister, Joanna's dth. Hannah says she was some years younger than Johanna and doesn't remember her at all, as she had left (for America) so young. "Aunt Kate", had kept Hannah updated about the family, and had obviously moved from Edinburgh back to Wick: "caithness is verry cold poor country".. "we dont have much of a summer here Wick is verry dirty town ben a fishing place".
More than one sister was obviously still iving in Scotland as "my sisters all sends their kind sympathy"... signed Hannah Bain.18
Family information has it that Johanna's daily task as wife of Alexander Kerr was to cook and serve huge, hearty breakfasts for crews of men he had working for his construction company. Although they had a servant, she got up early and worked hard.19
|Alexander Kerr (May 1841 - Mar 1917)|
|Last Edited||20 Apr 2013|
- Letter, Robert B to Lorna Henderson, Aug 2001 ex 1861 census.
- Online search: assorted surnames, International Genealogical Index (IGI), Birth 11 Nov 1851 Bap. 10 Jan 1852 Johanna d/o James BAIN & Nelly ANDREW, batch C110384, Latheron, CAI, rechecked Aug 2008.
- Livy Revits (NJ), "EM BAIN/KERR NJ, USA ex Livy R," e-mail to Lorna Henderson, KERR family photo c 1905 of Alex & Jane with sons George & William, rcvd Aug 2008.
- Scottish BMDB entries (from 1855), http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/index.php, Birth 11 Nov 1851 (Clashscriby) Bap. 10 Jan 1852 (by Rev W FERGUSON) Johanna d/o James BAIN & Nelly ANDREW, copy d/loaded Aug 2008.
- 1861 Census, CAI, SCT.
- USA census images, Various, 1900 Elizabeth Ward 8, Union, New Jersey; Roll: T623 996; Pg 3A; ED 108, hsehold of Alexander S & Johanna KERR, extracted Aug 2008.
- 1851 Census, CAI, SCT, Latheron, entry #3, transcr. Sep 1994.
- "Lorna's Family History Musings", Aug 2008.
- Livy Revits (NJ), "EM BAIN/KERR NJ, USA ex Livy R," e-mail to Lorna Henderson, Dth 4 Mar 1924 Jane KERR, Trenton, Mercer Co, NJ, transcript of cert. copy, extracted from ancestry tree, Aug 2008.
- Letter, Robert B to Lorna Henderson, Birth 11 Nov 1851 Johanna d/o James BAIN & Helen ANDREW, rcvd Jun 2003.
- USA census images, Various, 1895 Elizabeth, Union Co, New Jersey, Roll V227_105 Pg 51, hsehold of Alexander & Johanna KERR, extracted Aug 2008.
- Livy Revits (NJ), "EM BAIN/KERR NJ, USA ex Livy R," e-mail to Lorna Henderson, Marr. 17 Feb 1887 Alexander KERR and Johanna BAIN (d/o James & Ellen), Elizabeth, Union Co, NJ, certified copy rcvd Aug 2008.
- Livy Revits (NJ), "EM BAIN/KERR NJ, USA ex Livy R," e-mail to Lorna Henderson, Bur. 5 Mar 1924 Johanna KERR, Eilbacher Vault, Evergreen Cem, Hillside, NJ, extracted from ancestry tree, Aug 2008.
- USA census images, Various, 1910 Elizabeth Ward 11, Union, New Jersey; Roll: T624_910; Pg 1A; ED 79; Image: 355, hsehold of Alexander & Johanna KERR, extracted Aug 2008.
- USA census images, Various, 1880 Elizabeth, Union, New Jersey; Roll: T9_800; FH Film: 1254800; Pg 282.2000; ED 174; Image: 0578, hsehold of John & Esther A RALSTON, extracted Aug 2008.
- USA census images, Various, 1920 Elizabeth City Ward 12, Union, New Jersey; Roll: T625_1069; Pg 2B; ED 105; Image: 1063 hsehold of GeorgeW KERR, extracted Aug 2008.
- Www Rootsweb online at http://wc.rootsweb.com/, Obit 26 Mar 1917 Alexander KERR, Elizabeth Daily News, from db :180206 of Olivia Brook REVITS, last updated Dec 2001, extracted Aug 2008.
- Livy Revits (NJ), "EM BAIN/KERR NJ, USA ex Livy R," e-mail to Lorna Henderson, Letter 1 Apr 1924 from Hannah BAIN, Wick, to Will KERR (s/o her sister Johanna), NJ, USA, copy rcvd Aug 2008.
- Livy Revits (NJ), "EM BAIN/KERR NJ, USA ex Livy R," e-mail to Lorna Henderson, Rcvd Aug 2008.
- Livy Revits (NJ), "EM BAIN/KERR NJ, USA ex Livy R," e-mail to Lorna Henderson, Birth 6 Mar 1888, Dth 6 Sep 1889 John KERR, Elizabeth, NJ, extracted from ancestry tree, Aug 2008.
E. & O. E. Some/most parish records are rather hard to read and names, places hard to interpret, particularly if you are unfamiliar with an area.