(circa January 1822 - 25 February 1898)
|Father||John McAdie (cir. Apr 1780 - aft. 1863)|
|Mother||Isobel Robson (cir. 1793 - Jan 1882)|
BMDB dataDavid McAdie was born cir. Jan 1822 Par. of Watten, CAI, SCT.1,2 He was baptized on 6 Jan 1822 Watten, Par. of Watten, CAI, SCT.2
David McAdie married Elisabeth Robertson on 13 Jun 1856 Watten, Par. of Watten, CAI.3
David McAdie died on 25 Feb 1898 Hillhead, Balclutha, OTG, NZ; Clutha Leader: " DEATH. McAdie.— At Hillhead, Balclutha on 25th February, David McAdie, farmer, aged 76 years deeply regretted."
Obit NZ Herald (11th Mar): "The Clutha papers record the death of an old resident in the person of Mr. David McAdie, aged 76. Mr. McAdie was a native of the parish of Watten, Caithness, Scotland, and emigrated to Victoria in 1856—five years after the discovery of gold in that colony. Seven years later (1863) he came to New Zealand, and almost straightway took up land near Balclutha, where he spent the rest of his days.4,5,6,7
MigrationDavid McAdie and Elizabeth Robertson immigrated in 1856 to VIC, AUS.7
David McAdie immigrated on 14 Apr 1862 on the "Eureka", Port Chalmers, OTG, NZ; index shows David as 25, "single", origin SCT, no occ. shown; dep. 14 Apr 1862 Hobsons Bay, arr. Port Chalmers.7,9
David McAdie immigrated on 29 Aug 1862 on the "Gothenburg", Melbourne, VIC, AUS.10
David McAdie and Elisabeth Robertson immigrated on 11 Sep 1862 on the "Boanerges", Port Chalmers, OTG, NZ; Mr David McADDIE unm, miner 40 origin IRL #12986; Mrs Elizabeth McADIE, marr. 30, SCT #13084; John 4 #13085; Dep. Melbourne.7,11
Census/Where lived/OccupationsDavid McAdie appeared on the census of 1841 Dunn, Par. of Watten, CAI, SCT, in the household of John McAdie and Isobel Robson and is assumed to be a son.12 David McAdie appeared on the census of 1851 Stirkoke, Par. of Wick, CAI, SCT, in the household of John McAdie and Isobel Robson as son of John.13
David McAdie was a sheepfarmer bet. 1879 - 1901 Hillhead, Balclutha, OTG, NZ, his returns showing the following sheep numbers 1879:34, 1880:0, 1881,nil, 1890:100, 1891:132, 1900:99, 1901:132 (the last two returns must have been from son John instead.)14 He lived cir. 1882 Balclutha, OTG, NZ, 289 acres: £1284.15 He and John McAdie lived in 1890 Balclutha, OTG, McADIE: David freehold 150 ac Clutha, farmer; John residential farmer.16 David McAdie lived in 1896 Balclutha, OTG, McADIE: David freehold 150 ac Clutha, farmer; John residential farmer; Isabella, Elizabeth Jane, Jessie, all domestic, residential (wife Elizabeth had died in 1893, 1884 also showed David with 150 ac freehold.)17
NamesHis surname was recorded as McAdee (but which record?)
|Elisabeth Robertson (cir. 1822 - 1893)|
|Charts||John & Elspeth (SUTHERLAND) McADIE|
|Last Edited||7 Jul 2013|
- NZSG, Cemetery transcriptions, Birth (6 Jan 1822?) David McADIE.
- FamilySearch Labs Record Search (LDS) online at http://search.labs.familysearch.org/recordsearch/, Bap. 6 Jan 1822 David s/o John McADIE & Isobel ROBESON, Watten, CAI, from Scotland, Births and Baptisms, 1564-1950 batch C11042-2 film 990557, extracted from index May 2013.
- MacADIE and variants: births christenings marriages, International Genealogical Index (IGI).
- NZSG, Cemetery transcriptions.
- BDM: NZ historical indexes online at http://bdmhistoricalrecords.identityservices.govt.nz/Search, Dth 1898 David McADIE, aged 76, ref. 1898/912, extracted May 2013.
- Papers Past (NZ National Library) online at http://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/, Dth 25 Feb 1898 David McADIE, Hillhead, Balclutha, aged 76, from Clutha Leader, Volume XXIV, Issue 1236, 4 March 1898, Page 4, extracted May 2013.
- Papers Past (NZ National Library) online at http://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/, Obit 11 & 18th Mar 1898 David McADIE, Balclutha, aged 76, from Watten, CAI, emig VIC 1856, NZ 1863, from New Zealand Herald, Volume XXXV, Issue 10698, 11 March 1898, Page 6, extracted May 2013.
- "Lorna's Family History Musings", May 2013.
- Assorted indexes, NZ Soc. Gen. Index, "Eureka" dep. 14 Apr 1862 David McADIE, "single", 25, dep. Hobsons Bay arr. Port Chalmers, from Victoria (Aus) to NZ - Passengers 1852-1923, LDS film 028448, extracted May 2013.
- Ancestry.com online at http://search.ancestry.com, "Gothenburg" 29 Aug 1862 David McADDY, from Port Chalmers to Melbourne, from Series: VPRS 13439; Series Title: Inward Overseas Passenger Lists (New Zealand Ports) [Microfiche Copy of VPRS 947], index online at Victoria, Australia, Assisted and Unassisted Passenger Lists, 1839–1923, extracted May 2013.
- Assorted indexes, NZ Soc. Gen. Index, "Boanerges" dep./arr. 11 Sep 1862 Mrs Elizabeth & John McADIE, 30, 4 resp. , dep. Melbourne, arr. Port Chalmers, from Victoria (Aus) to NZ - Passengers 1852-1923, LDS film 0284490, extracted May 2013.
- 1841 Census transcripts, Scotland, via Ancestry.com, Watten, CAI, Par. 42 ED: 4; Page: 1; hsehold of John McADIE & Isabella ROBERTSON, extracted May 2013.
- 1851 Census transcripts, Scotland, via Ancestry.com, Wick, CAI; Par. 43 ED: 7A; Page: 2; hsehold of John & Isabella McADIE, extracted May 2013.
- Sheepholders returns (NZ), David McADIE, Hillhead, sheepfarmer, 1879 to 1901, extracted Jun 1994.
- Unknown author, Freeholders Returns (NZ), 1882 David McADIE, Freeholder, 289 acres, £1284, Balclutha, extracted Jun 1994.
- 1853+ Electoral Roll, New Zealand, 1890 David & John McADIE, Balclutha, OTG, extracted May 2013,.
- 1853+ Electoral Roll, New Zealand, 1896 David McADIE & family, Balclutha, Clutha Elect., OTG, extracted May 2013,.
- NZSG, Cemetery transcriptions, Bur. David McADIE, aged 18, Balclutha, OTG, extracted Sep 2002.
- BDM: NZ historical indexes online at http://bdmhistoricalrecords.identityservices.govt.nz/Search, Birth 1872 Janet d/o David & Elizabeth McADIE, ref. 1872/39187, extracted May 2013.
E. & O. E. Some/most parish records are rather hard to read and names, places hard to interpret, particularly if you are unfamiliar with an area.