(22 July 1863 - 15 November 1939)
|Father||Nicholas Combellack3 (cir. Dec 1836 - bet. 1911 - 1919)|
|Mother||Honor Dawe3 (bet. Mar 1842 - Jun 1842 - bet. 1881 - 1891)|
|Relationship||2nd cousin 3 times removed of Lorna Henderson|
BMDB dataRichard Thomas Combellack was born on 22 Jul 1863 Trelubis, Wendron, Dist of Helston, CON, ENG, Alan advises that the birth cert. shows Richard Thomas as the son of Nicholas Combellack, miller, and Honor formerly Daw. Registered at Helston on 7th August 1863 by Nicholas Combellack, father, of Trelubis, Wendron who marks.3,2,1,4 Some sources show Richard as born cir. 1867 Helston, CON, ENG, (from 1901 census - but birth registrations from 1865 thru 1871 have no Richards, the closest name match being a Thomas Charles.)5,6 Yet other sources show Richard as born cir. 1870 Lowertown, nr Helston, CON, ENG, only immediately obvious Richard births 1861 thru 1874: Richard James 1861 Helston Sep qtr 5c/228, Richard Thomas 1863 Sep qtr Helston 5c/228 and Richard Exelby Dec 1872 Helston 5c/203, which strongly suggests that he lied about his age to enlist, and reinforces the id of Richard aka Richard Charles as being Richard Thomas.7
Richard Charles Combellack married Annie Ada Wood on 14 Aug 1893 in the Par. Ch of St Marys, Penzance, CON, ENG, cert. transcript shows they married after banns; Richard Charles Combellack, 25, Bachelor, Labourer of Quay Street, son of Nichlas (sic) Combellack, Miller and Annie 19, spinster of Quay Street, daughter of James Wood, basket maker. Both sign. Wit: James Wood and Elizabeth Hollow.8,9,10,11
Richard Thomas Combellack died on 15 Nov 1939 Morrab Pl, Penzance, CON, ENG, at age 76.3,2,7,12,13
MigrationOn 26 Jul 1929 When Laura Alexandra Combellack arrived on the "Laurentic", Montreal, QUE, CAN, Richard Thomas Combellack was given as the nearest relative "from whence alien came."16
Census/Where lived/OccupationsThe census of 7 Apr 1871 showed William, Richard, Isaac and Henry and their sisters Emily, Mary and Anna in the household of their parents Nicholas and Honor Dawe Anvour, Dist of Helston, CON, ENG, enumerated as COMBELLACK: Nicholas 37 miller b Wendron, CON; wife Honour 29 b Devon; Children: William 11 tin miner, Jane 9, Richard 8, Isaac 7 all scholars all b Wendron; Charles 5 scholar b Nth Tawton, DEV; Mary 1 b St Keverne, CON; Anna 3 Mos b Sithney, CON.3
Richard Thomas Combellack appeared on the census of 1881 11 Charlotte Bldgs, Bristol, GLS, ENG, enumerated as COMBOLLOCK: Richard T unm 17 corn miller b Helston, CON; sister Emily Jane 19 worker in ??glass at factory b Helston; Boarders SNELL b Nth Taunton, DEV and RILFORD b GLS.2,17 He was likely to be ?outside UK in 1891 he's invisible (so far) in 1891 in ENG or WLS as either CHARLES or COMBELLACK, if he knew his age within 2 yrs. There's a gardener in Fulham, LND Richd CHARLES, 28 but he says he's born Southampton; And a Richard CHARLES, 26, pedlar of coal, hawker in Weston Super Mere who says he's born Plymouth (brother William's closest 1891 match was`also as a hawker.)14
Richard Thomas Combellack appeared on the census of 1901 1 New Town Pl, Penzance, CON, ENG, with Ada Combellack, enumerated as COMBELLACK: Richard 34 mason labourer, worker b Helston, CON; wife Ada (sic, but children matches Annie in 1911) 25 b Penzance, CON; Children: Lavinia 7, Richard 5, Cecil 3, Gladys 2 all b Penzance.5
Richard Thomas Combellack appeared on the census of 1911 1 Foster Pl, New St, Penzance, CON, ENG, with Annie Ada Wood, enumerated as COMBELLACK: Richard 43 caretaker Wesleyan Day School b Helston, CON; wife Annie (marr. 17 yrs, 9 children, all living) 36 b Penzance; Children: Vene 17 packer steam laundry, Richard 15 errand boy, Cecil 13 errand boy, Gladys 11 school, Laura 8, Norman 7, Bernard 5, Mable (sic) 3,Theodore 1 All b Penzance, CON.9 Richard Thomas Combellack and Annie Ada Wood lived in Aug 1914 24 Clarance St, Penzance, CON, ENG.7 Richard Thomas Combellack was a retired storeman in Sep 1935.18
MilitaryRichard Thomas Combellack was in military service on 6 Aug 1914 Penzance, CON, ENG, Territorial Force attestation of Richard COMBELLACK No 1797 (crossed out with 3473 above it)
Born Lowertown nr Helston, Cornwall, caretaker in employ of Penzance Pavilion Co, married, prev. service with Royal Marines - time expired
Signed Richard Combellack
Medical Inspection Report
apparent age 44; height 5'7 3/4"; chest 34 1/2; good vision and physical development (examined Penzance 6 Aug 1914
Appointed to 4th Battln D of Corn LL
Statement of Services of 1797 (crossed out, 3474 written above:
service reckons from 6.8.14, Pte;
5th Co appointed L/C 3.3.15
..yal defense Corps 22 post boy transferred 29.6.16
Posted L/Cpl 2.2.17
disembodied on demobilization 26/4/19
signed London, home address 24 Clarance St, Penzance, Cornwall
Military History Sheet:
4 years 264 days.
Campaigns: Home 6.8.14 to 26.4.19
nok "wife Mrs Annie COMBELLACK of 24 Clarance St, Penzance, Cornwall."7
NamesAs of 1893, Richard Thomas Combellack was also known as Richard Charles Combellack (on the marriage index.)10
All the other infoFrom tree of Richard COMBELLACK: `
Richard and Annie had 11 children. One was born dead. The others lived good long lives except for the first son, also Richard, who was killed in WW1.19
|Annie Ada Wood (Nov 1875 - Jul 1927)|
|Charts||My direct DAWE line|
|Last Edited||15 Dec 2016|
- Www FreeBMD ENG online at http://freebmd.rootsweb.com/cgi/search.pl, Birth 1863 Q3 Richard Thomas COMBELLACK, reg. Helston, CON 5c/228, extracted Sep 2009.
- 1881 Census (images for ENG, transcriptions for SCT), UK, Via Ancestry.com, Bristol St Paul, GLS RG11/2472 ED 20 F 101 Pg 15 Sched 20, hsehold of Richard T COMBOLLOCK, extracted Sep 2009.
- 1871 Census images, England & Wales, via Ancestry.com, Anvour, Sub Dist Wendron, Dist Helston, CON RG10/2302 ED 20 F 48 Pg 2 Sched 9, hsehold of Nicholas & Honour COMBELLACK, extracted Sep 2009.
- Alan COMBELLACK (61220), "EM DAWE/COMBELLACK ex Alan C," e-mail to Lorna Henderson, Birth 22 Jul 1863 Richard Thomas s/o Nicholas COMBELLACK & Honor DAWE, Wendron, CON, cert transcript extracted from paf file, rcvd Oct 2009.
- 1901 Census (images for ENG, transcriptions for SCT), UK, Via Ancestry.com, Penzance, Par. St Mary, Dist Penznce, CON, RG13/2254 ED 21 F 35 Pg 24 Sched 125, hsehold of Richard & Ada COMBELLACK, extracted Sep 2009.
- Findmypast online at http://www.findmypast.com, Birth 1865 thru 1871 Richard Charles COMBELLACK, searched Sep 2009.
- Ancestry.com online at http://search.ancestry.com, Attestation papers 6 Aug 1914 Richard COMBELLACK, aged 44 b. Lowertown, nr Helston, CON, resid. (with wife Annie) 24 Clarance Pl, Penzance, , from British Army WWI Service Records, 1914-1920, extracted Sep 2009.
- Ancestry.com online at http://search.ancestry.com, 6 Aug 1914 Richard COMBELLACK, aged 44 of Lowertown, nr Helston, CON, Attestation papers, from British Army WWI Service Records, 1914-1920, extracted Sep 2009.
- 1911 Census images, ENG, http://www.findmypast.co.uk/CensusPersonStartSearchServlet , http://ancestry.com, Penzance, CON RG14PN14074 RG78PN839 RD300 SD4 ED18 SN107, hsehold of Richard & Annie COMBELLACK, extracted Sep 2009.
- Www FreeBMD ENG online at http://freebmd.rootsweb.com/cgi/search.pl, Marr. 1893 Q3 Richard Charles COMBELLACK & Annie WOOD, reg. Penzance 5c/390, extracted Sep 2009.
- Alan COMBELLACK (61220), "EM DAWE/COMBELLACK ex Alan C," e-mail to Lorna Henderson, Marr. 14 Aug 1893 Richard Charles s/o Nichlas (sic) COMBELLACK; to Annie d/o James WOOD, Par. Ch of St Mary's, Penzance, CON, cert transcript extracted from paf file, rcvd Oct 2009.
- Alan COMBELLACK (61220), "EM DAWE/COMBELLACK ex Alan C," e-mail to Lorna Henderson, Dth 15 Nov 1939 Richard Thomas aka Richard Charles COMBELLACK, Morrab Pl, Penzance, CON, form "Bob and Colleen", extracted from paf file, rcvd Oct 2009.
- Findmypast online at http://www.findmypast.com, Dth 1939 Q4 Richard T COMBELLACK, aged 76, reg. Penzance, CON 5c/631, extracted Oct 2009.
- "Lorna's Family History Musings", Sep 2009.
- Rootsweb Mailing List online at http://lists.rootsweb.com, Richard Thomas COMBELLACK & Anne WOOD, posted Feb 2002 by Alan COMBELLACK (email now bounces), from GENBRIT-L archives, 2002-2, http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/GENBRIT/… extracted Sep 2009.
- Ancestry.com online at http://search.ancestry.com, "Laurentic" 26 Jul 1929 Laura Alexandra & Marjorie SELLERS, arr Montreal, from Liverpool, born England, Canadian Passenger Lists, 1865-1935, extracted Oct 2009.
- Rootsweb Mailing List online at http://lists.rootsweb.com, 1881 Census Richard Thomas COMBELLACK, (as COMBOLLOCK), Bristol, posted Apr 2002 by Alan COMBELLACK (email now bounces), from GENBRIT-L archives, 2002-4, http://listsearches.rootsweb.com/th/read/GENBRIT/2002-04/…, extracted Sep 2009.
- Alan COMBELLACK (61220), "EM DAWE/COMBELLACK ex Alan C," e-mail to Lorna Henderson, Marr. 28 Sep 1935 William Bernard COMBELLACK & Millicent Lucy TRIPP, Reg. Office Truro, from PAF file, rcvd Oct 2009.
- Ancestry.com online at http://search.ancestry.com, Photo Richard COMBELLACK, posted by Richard COMBELLACK, on ancestry tree http://trees.ancestry.com/pt/ViewPhoto.aspx, extracted Oct 2009.
- DAW(E) www searches & misc. corres. Dth. 9 Sep 1918 Richard James COMBELLACK, DCM, s/o Mr & Mrs R T COMBELLACK, of 24 Clarence St, Penzance, Mesopotamia, Tehran panel 3 Col 1, fromhttp://www.roll-of-honour.com/Cornwall/Penzance.html, extracted Sep 2009.
- Alan COMBELLACK (61220), "EM DAWE/COMBELLACK ex Alan C," e-mail to Lorna Henderson, Birth 7 Apr 1915 (Penzance) Dth 4 Mar 1939 (Brentwood) Mona Lesbia CROSLAND d/o Richard Thomas COMBELLACK & Annie Ada WOOD, extracted from Fam Tree, sent/extracted Oct 2009.
E. & O. E. Some/most parish records are rather hard to read and names, places hard to interpret, particularly if you are unfamiliar with an area.