(between March 1842 and June 1842 - between 1881 and 1891)
|Father||William Smith Dawe1 (cir. Dec 1810 - May 1877)|
|Mother||Mary Way2 (cir. Apr 1811 - Feb 1864)|
|Relationship||1st cousin 4 times removed of Lorna Henderson|
BMDB dataHonor Dawe was born bet. Mar 1842 - Jun 1842 Nth Tawton, Dist of Okehampton, DEV, ENG.2,3,4,5 Some sources show Honor as born cir. 1837 Bristol, GLS, ENG, (but I believe that the 1881 census is a tad misleading for most of the family.)6
Honor Dawe married Nicholas Combellack, son of Thomas Combellack and Sally Reed, on 24 Feb 1858 at the Par. Ch, Wendron, Dist of Helston, CON, ENG, an ancestry db has 24 Feb 1859 but as the marriage was registered in 1858 qtr1 I've assumed 24 Feb 1858. Diane (date as 24 Feb 1859) says Nicholas was a miller in 1859, as was Honor's father William and both were resid. Lower Town at the time, which is confirmed by Alan's transcript via an English researcher Hugh: Marriage after banns on 24th Feb 1858 at The Parish Church, St Wendron, Cornwall between Nicholas COMBELLACK, 21, Bachelor, Miller, of Lower Town, son of Thomas COMBELLACK, Miner and Honor DAWE, 17, Spinster, of Lower Town, daughter of William Dawe, Miller. He marks, she signs. Witnesses Richard Harris (Honor's brother-in-law) and John Pascoe.7,8,9,10,1,11
Honor Dawe died bet. 1881 - 1891 ?WLS or ?ENG; (no dth registration yet found as Honor, or Flora, indexes searched 1871 thru 1904 so far, assuming indexed under surname spelt Combe... Subsequent info shows Nicholas aka Henry Combellack as a widowed Charles Henry Charles in Plymouth in 1891, so back to the drawing board for searching - and with Sarah's birth cert showing her as Hannah, just possibly, she's the Hannah CHARLES, aged 50 reg. 1st qtr 1891?)12,13,14,15,6
Census/Where lived/OccupationsThe census of 31 Mar 1851 showed Sarah, Elizabeth, Honor, Louisa, Maria and Emily and their brothers William and Isaac in the household of their parents William and Mary Daw Trelubis, Wendron, CON, ENG, enumerated as DAW: William, head, mar 43, miller & farmer 25 ac. b. Lamerton, DEV: wife Mary 38 b Nth Tawton, DEV. Children: Sarah, dtr, 13 b Okehampton, DEV; Elizabeth 11 b Sheepwash, DEV; Honor, 8 b Nth Tawton; Louisa, 6 b Helston, CON; Jane Maria 3 b Wendron, CON; Emily 2 b Wendron: William John 1 b Wendron; Isaac, son, unm 15, b Nth Tawton. Servant William Oliver um 27 - miller's labourer b. Helston; William Mois servant, mar 21 miller, born Sithney.5
By Feb 1858 Honor Dawe was living Lower Town, Par. of Wendron, CON, ENG, (when she married Nicholas.)1 Honor Dawe appeared on the census of 1861 as wife of Nicholas Combellack Trenethick, Wendron, Dist of Helston, CON, ENG, enumerated as COMBELLACK: Nicholas 24 journeyman miller b Wendron, CON; wife Honour 19 b Devonshire; Children: William 2, Emily Jane 4 mos both b Wendron, CON; Neighbour of John (40 tin buyer b Wendron, CON) & Jane Pryor.16
The census of 7 Apr 1871 showed Honor with her husband Nicholas, their sons William, Richard, Isaac and Henry, their dtrs Emily, Mary and Anna Anvour, Dist of Helston, CON, ENG, household enumerated as COMBELLACK: Nicholas 37 miller b Wendron, CON; wife Honour 29 b Devon; Children: William 11 tin miner, Jane 9, Richard 8, Isaac 7 all scholars all b Wendron; Charles 5 scholar b Nth Tawton, DEV; Mary 1 b St Keverne, CON; Anna 3 Mos b Sithney, CON.12
Flora Combellack appeared on the census of 1881 66 Union St, Llandaff, Dist of Cardiff, GLA, WLS, with Henry Combellack, enumerated as COMBELLACK: Henry 44 miller ; wife Flora 44 both b Bristol, GLS; Children: May 12, Annie 10, both scholars b Bristol; Ada 3 b Bath, GLS (sic); Fanny 2 b Bath, SOM.6
NamesAs of 1879, Honor Dawe was also known as Hannah Combellack and is enumerated in the 1881 census as Flora!15,6
All the other infoHonor may, or may not, be the Flora with Henry Combellack in Cardiff. Jury still out, although with the recent (Dec 2009) discovery of dtr Sarah aka Fanny's birth cert it does look like Honor aka Hannah, might also be aka Flora, unless Henry remarried between 1879 and 1881.
I had thought that with the quite large gap to the two younger dtrs in the family with Henry and Flora in 1881 that this might be a second marriage for Henry with Honor having died. However no death registration was obvious under any of the permuations of name, and Sarah's 1879 birth cert. definitely says her parents are Charles Henry Combellack, miller, and Hannah (sic) Combellack formerly Dawe.
Henry is definitely Nicholas. He is the right age and occupation, wrong birthplace (Bristol instead of Cornwall), but dtrs May and Anna with them match Mary and Anna with them in 1871. Also son Isaac's Cardiff marr. cert states his father is Henry, and his burial in Thanet says his father is Nicholas, both with the same wife Annie Pugh.17
|Nicholas Combellack (cir. Dec 1836 - bet. 1911 - 1919)|
|Charts||My direct DAWE line|
|Last Edited||23 Mar 2019|
- Diane YEOW, "EM DAWE/COMBELLACK ex Diane Y," e-mail to Lorna Henderson, Marr. 24 Feb 1859 (sic) Nicholas COMBELLACK (miller), Honor DAWE,father William a miller, both resid Lower Town, (Wendron), from Family report Nicholas COMBELLACK and Honor DAWE, rcvd Sep 2009.
- England/Wales GRO online index by GRO England online at https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/…, Birth 1842 Q2 Honor DAW, mother WAYE, reg. Okehampton, DEV, 10/183, extracted Jun 2017.
- Www FreeBMD ENG online at http://freebmd.rootsweb.com/cgi/search.pl, Birth 1842 Q2 Honor DAW, reg. Okehampton, DEV 10/183, extracted Sep 2009.
- Lois Saleeba (19674), "EM DAW: Tavistock, ex Lois S," e-mail to Lorna Henderson, DAW(E) FTree, rcvd Dec 1999.
- Wendy Taylor, "FT:DAWE, Wm SmithWAY, Mary", 1851 census.
- 1881 Census images, England & Wales, via Ancestry.com, Civil Par. Llandaff, Dist Cardiff, WLS RG11/5282 ED 26a F 77 Pg 29 Sched 167, hsehld of Henry and Flora COMBELLACK, extracted Sep 2009.
- Ancestry.com online at http://search.ancestry.com, Marr. 24 Feb 1859 Honour DAWE & Nicholas COMBELLACK, Wendron, CON, from tree of HUTN3095, online at http://trees.ancestry.com/tree/8164480/person/-991017228, extracted Sep 2009.
- Alan COMBELLACK (61220), "EM DAWE/COMBELLACK ex Alan C," e-mail to Lorna Henderson, Marr. 24 Feb 1858 Nicholas (miller, of Lower Town) s/o Thomas COMBELLACK (tin miner) & Honor (of Lower Town) d/o William DAWE (miller) , Par. Ch, Wendron, CON, transcr. rcvd Oct 2009.
- Www FreeBMD ENG online at http://freebmd.rootsweb.com/cgi/search.pl, Marr. 1858 Q1 Honor DAWE & Nicholas COMBELLACK OR COMBELLUCK, reg. Helston, CON 5c/354, extracted Sep 2009.
- Findmypast online at http://www.findmypast.com, Marr. 1858 Q1 Nicholas COMBELLACK, Honor DAWE, reg. Helston, (CON) 5c/354 (also as COMBELLUCK), extracted Sep 2009.
- "Lorna's Family History Musings", Oct 2009.
- 1871 Census images, England & Wales, via Ancestry.com, Anvour, Sub Dist Wendron, Dist Helston, CON RG10/2302 ED 20 F 48 Pg 2 Sched 9, hsehold of Nicholas & Honour COMBELLACK, extracted Sep 2009.
- C'Wealth War Graves online at http://www.cwgc.org/, Dth 3 Feb 1919 Isaac Charles COMBELLACK, Sapper, RE, #WR/305180, bur. Minster(Thanet), s/o Nicholas & Honor COMBELLACK, h/o Annie Pugh COMBELLACK, extracted Sep 2009.
- 1891 Census images, England & Wales, via Ancestry.com, Laira, Sub Dist Charles, Dist Plymouth, DEV RG12/1725 ED 1 F 17 Pg 28 Sched 157, hsehold of Charles H CHARLES, extracted Oct 2009.
- Various, BDM Certified copy, Birth 30 Jul 1879 Sarah d/o Charles Henry COMBELLACK & Hannah DAWE, reg. St Mary Redcliff, City & County of Bristol, GLS, copy rcvd Dec 2009.
- 1861 Census images, England & Wales, via Ancestry.com, Wendron, Dist of Helston, CON RG9/1569 ED 3 F 26 Pg 4 Sched 19, hsehold of Nicholas & Honour COMBELLACK, extracted Sep 2009.
- "Lorna's Family History Musings", Oct 2009, updated Dec 2009.
- DAW(E) www searches & misc. corres. Dth. 3 Feb 1919 Bur. Isaac Charles s/o late Nicholas & Honor COMBELLACK, h/o Annie Pugh COMBELLACK of Roath Park, Cardiff, Minster (Thanet), grave ref. #1957, from http://www.janetandrichardsgenealogy.co.uk/…, extracted Sep 2009.
E. & O. E. Some/most parish records are rather hard to read and names, places hard to interpret, particularly if you are unfamiliar with an area.