Gladys Estella Annie Rowe1
(8 August 1891 - 1941)
|Father||Joseph King Rowe1 (Jun 1852 - Nov 1924)|
|Mother||Sarah Elizabeth McMann1,2 (Jun 1853 - Oct 1926)|
|Relationship||2nd cousin 2 times removed of Lorna Henderson|
IntroI've included Gladys on these pages simply because I've been sent some clippngs and photos that relate to this family, and it's always good to share such serendipitous finds. Said items were in some boxes preserved by a relation of her husband Norbert, and recently passed on to descendants who found my research and contacted me.
I was fascinated to read that Gladys was musical, the newspaper report of her marriage stating "Miss Rowe is well known in both Dundee and Hamilton, where she is very popular as a vocalist".
I'd always assumed that I'd inherited my musical side from Dad's side of the family, given that my mother was tone deaf. However a goodly number of the Rowe side of the tree do seem to talented singers, and now I know that one more was.
As always, very interested in hearing from descendants.3,4
BMDB dataGladys Estella Annie Rowe was born on 8 Aug 1891 Dundas, Wentworth Co., ONT, CAN, cert shows father Joseph (the informant) as a carpenter, mother Elizabeth Rowe.1 She married Norbert Henry Wilmering, son of John Henry Wilmering and Wilhelmina Fredricks, on 14 Jun 1921 St Augustine's Ch, Dundas, Wentworth Co., ONT, CAN, being given away by Joseph George Rowe and attended by Marjorie Donald; cert. shows Gladys Estella as 29, born Dundas, Ontario, d/o Joseph Rowe (born Exeter England) and Elizabeth McMann, and Norbert Henry as 31 b Muscatine Iowa, draughtsman, resid. Detroit, Wayne Co, Michigan, s/o John Henry Wilmering (born Muscatine, Iowa) and Wilhelmina Fredericks. Both shown as Roman Catholic. Wit: Geo A Courteaux, Hamilton Ontario and Marjorie Donald, Dundas.5,6
Gladys Wilmering died in 1941 ?Toronto, York Co., ONT, CAN; dth notice apparently mentions dtr Mavis as Mrs Norm Byrne, and Barbara as of Lake Worth Florida (assumed to be Robert's wife, so dtr-in-law), and Harold as youngest son.7,8,9,10
Census/Where lived/OccupationsThe census of 1901 showed Margaret and Gladys and their brothers William and Charles in the household of their parents Joseph and Elizabeth Rowe Dundas, Wentworth Co., ONT, CAN, enumerated as ROWE: Joseph 48 carpenter born England 8 Jun 1852; wife Elizabeth 46 b Ontario14 Jun 1853 of Irish extraction; Children (all b ONT): Dtr Margaret 21 b 6 Jun 1879 (can't read occuptn,something like ?p..er on s..ory mill?); Son William G 15 b 15 Aug 1885 ?cart? boy; Son Charles 13 b 30 Oct 1887; Dtr Gladys 9 b 8 Aug 1891.11
The census of 1911 showed Gladys as a 9 yr old b. Ontario in Aug 1892 in the household of her parents Joseph and Elizabeth Rowe King St, Dundas, Wentworth Co., ONT, CAN.12 Gladys Estella Annie Rowe and Norbert Henry Wilmering lived in Jul 1927 386 Margueretta, Toronto, York Co., ONT, CAN.8
All the other infoGladys Estella Annie Rowe and Norbert Henry Wilmering were photographed in Jul 1939.13 Gladys Estella Annie Rowe was mentioned in the death notice of Norbert Henry Wilmering on 10 Aug 1951 386 Margueritta St, Toronto, York Co., ONT, CAN; (yr assumed from age & telegram); Undated newspaper clipping implies a Muscatine IA publication; reads: Norbert H Wilmering 61, former resident of Muscatine, died Aug 10 at his home at Toronto, Ontario, according to word received by relatives here. Burial services are being held at Toronto.
Mr Wilmering was born June 6, 1890 at Muscatine and was a veteran of overseas service during World war No 1. He moved to Canada in 1922 and had been a Canadian resident since. He married Gladys Rowe after going to Canada.
Surviving are two daughters, Mrs Eric Elton and Miss Mavis Wilmering, and two sons, Robert and Harold Wilmering, all residents of Canada; and three brothers, Fred and Joseph Wilmering of Muscatine and Paul Wilmering of Rock Island. He was preceded in death by his wife and his parents.
A telegram sent Aug 10th by (son) Robert, 6:35pm from Toronto, to 606 East Ninth St, Muscatine, Iowa adds that Nobert died suddenly of a heart attack "Friday afternoon" (the 10th was a Friday.)8,14,15
|Norbert Henry Wilmering (Jun 1890 - Aug 1951)|
|Charts||My direct DAWE line|
ROWE descendant chart
|Last Edited||31 Mar 2020|
- Ancestry.com online at http://search.ancestry.com, Birth 1891 Gladys Estella Annie ROWE, from Ontario, CAN Births 1869-1907, Roll Number: MS929_108, copy d/loaded Jan 2006.
- Peter ROWE, "EM ROWE/DAWE Ontario, CAN ex Peter R," e-mail to L Henderson(1), Rcvd Jan 2006, mother of Gladys given as Elizabeth Rowe, unlike on siblings' birth certs where she was Sarah Elizabeth McMann, but the grdson of her brother William Garfield Rowe remembers a sister Gladys.
- "Lorna's Family History Musings", Oct 2009.
- Bart Foster, "ROWE/WILMERING photos and memorabilia," e-mail to Lorna Henderson, Marr. notice (undated but Jun 1921 assumed) Gladys Estella ROWE and Norbert H WILMERING (of Detroit) St Augustine's Dundas, Ontario, copy rcvd Oct 2009.
- Ancestry.com online at http://search.ancestry.com, Marr. 14 Jun 1921 Gladys Estalla ROWE & Norbert Henry WILMERING, Wentworth, ONT FHL Film MS932_590, extracted Feb 2008.
- Bart Foster, "ROWE/WILMERING photos and memorabilia," e-mail to Lorna Henderson, Marr. Gladys Estella d/o Joseph ROWE to Norbert H WILMERING of Detroit, St Augustine Ch, Dundas (ONT), from Newspaper clipping, undated, found in grocery store ledger book beginning 1868, later used by Norbert's grandmother as a scrapbook for family newspaper clippings, scanned copy rcvd Oct 2009.
- Census image, Canada, via Ancestry.com, 1911: Dundas, Wentworth Cty, ONT, Dist 135 Sub Dist 53, Pg 30 family 351, extracted Jan 2006.
- Ancestry.com online at http://search.ancestry.com, Dth 28 Jul 1927 Baby, s/o Norbert WILMERING and Gladys E ROWE, Toronto, York Cty, ONT from Ontario, Canada Deaths, 1869-1934, Roll MS935_345, extracted Feb 2008.
- Bart Foster, "ROWE/WILMERING photos and memorabilia," e-mail to Lorna Henderson, Dth (undated newspaper clipping but 1951 assumed) Norbert H WILMERING Toronto, ONT aged 61, copy rcvd Oct 2009.
- Bart Foster, "ROWE/WILMERING photos and memorabilia," e-mail to Lorna Henderson, Dth 1941 Gladys WILMERING nee ROWE, clipping yet to be re-found, extract rcvd Oct 2009.
- 1901 Census images, Canada, via Ancestry, 1901 Dundas, Wentworth, Dist 128 Sub Dist d-4 Pg 21 Hsehold 242 (Archives M'film T-6506), extracted Jan 2006.
- 1911 Census images, Canada, via Ancestry, 1911: Dundas, Wentworth Cty, ONT, Dist 135 Sub Dist 53, Pg 30 family 351, extracted Jan 2006.
- Bart Foster, "ROWE/WILMERING photos and memorabilia," e-mail to Lorna Henderson, Photo Jul 1939 believed to be Norbert, Gladys WILMERING and family, rcvd Oct 2009.
- Bart Foster, "ROWE/WILMERING photos and memorabilia," e-mail to Lorna Henderson, Dth (undated newspaper clipping) Norbert H WILMERING Toronto, ONT aged 61, copy rcvd Oct 2009.
- Bart Foster, "ROWE/WILMERING photos and memorabilia," e-mail to Lorna Henderson, Dth 10 Aug 1951 (Fri pm) Norbert H WILMERING of 386 Margueritta St, Toronto, ONT, copy of telegram to 606 East Ninth St, Muscatine, Iowa, from Robert WILMERING, rcvd Oct 2009.
- Bart Foster, "ROWE/WILMERING photos and memorabilia," e-mail to Lorna Henderson, Birth notice (undated) Dtr b 15 Jun to Mr & Mrs Norbert H WILMERING (of 606 East Ninth St), at home of Mrs Wilmering's parents, Dundas, Ontario, copy rcvd Oct 2009.
E. & O. E. Some/most parish records are rather hard to read and names, places hard to interpret, particularly if you are unfamiliar with an area.