Alexander Bain Sutherland1
(3 May 1902 - between 1956 and 2009)
|Father||John Sutherland2,1 (Jul 1859 - Feb 1937)|
|Mother||Jane McKenzie2,1 (Jul 1857 - Oct 1947)|
|Relationship||2nd cousin 3 times removed of Lorna Henderson|
BMDB dataAlexander Bain Sutherland was born on 3 May 1902 Tow, Cunningsburgh, SHI, SCT, The birth cert. found amongst a friend's belongings by Edith shows Alexander Bain as s/o John SUTHERLAND, shepherd and Jane m.s. McKENZIE who married 27th Sep 1883 Lybster, Latheron, Caithness; Born 1pm. Inf. father, present. Reg. 15th May at Linds, County of Zetland.3,1
Alexander Bain Sutherland died bet. 1956 - 2009 Melbourne, VIC, AUS.4,5,6,7
MigrationAlexander Bain Sutherland emigrated with Robert Forbes Sutherland on 6 Jul 1922 on the "Ballarat", London, LND, ENG; with the "Little Brothers Organisation" (however web searches indicate that this organisation didn't begin until 1924/5, and generally only took 12 to 17yr olds;
Must have been some truth in the story however as a 1922 passenger list shows: SUTHERLAND: Alexander Bain 20, Robert Forbes 24, William Donald 22, all "farming, UK address Hollandmay, Mey by Thurso, N.B., last perm. resid England !, future perm. resid. Australia, contracted to land at Melbourne (sheet headed departure 6 Jul, web page says 5 Jun.)8,5
Census/Where lived/OccupationsAlexander Bain Sutherland was for William SUTHERLAND, either his step uncle, or step cousin, son of the uncle?? Aft. 1922 Mean Park, VIC, AUS.8 By 1943 Jessie and Alexander Bain Sutherland were living 361 Coventry St, Sth Melbourne, Melbourne Ports, VIC, AUS, Alexander, labourer, Jessie home duties.9
NamesAlexander Bain Sutherland was also known as Sandie.8
All the other infoAlexander Bain Sutherland attended school Cunningsburgh School, SHI, SCT, on 2 Sep 1907.10
A letter Jamie Sutherland sent to Sandie Sutherland on 9 Nov 1947 from Mertoun Schoolhouse, St Boswells, ROX, SCT: Mother had died after 3 week illness, Babs and Martha with her, all the sons in Scotland had been home to pay their respects.
Buried next to father.
Left about £600 to be shared equally between her children. (Which sum Jamie thought was possible because they lived with Hughie for so long, and he (Jamie) had made them a regular allowance). Several had agreed to give Hughie their share and he agreed to erect a memorial over the grave. Jamie urged Alexander to keep his share "as you have had such an unfortunate time of it in Australia".
Second letter dealt with the sending of £50 Jane had given Hughie to send to Sandy in Australia but he didn't know how, and had given it to Jamie, who sent it via his bank.11
Sandie Sutherland was mentioned in the letter Barbara Thom Smith sent to Jessie Sutherland on 15 Jun 1956 from Brind, Cunningsburgh, SHI, SCT.7
|Last Edited||9 Dec 2016|
- Janice HALCROW, "EM SUTHERLAND, John, SHI ex Janice H," e-mail to L McIntosh (1), Birth cert Alexander B. SUTHERLAND Jun 2002 ex Sandwick registrar.
- Edith S., "EM SUTHERLAND/McKENZIE ex Edith S," e-mail to Lorna Henderson, Birth 3 May 1902 Alexander Bain s/o John SUTHERLAND & Jane McKENZIE, Tow ,Cunningburgh, SHI, copy rcvd Dec 2009.
- Edith S., "EM SUTHERLAND/McKENZIE ex Edith S," e-mail to Lorna Henderson, Birth 3 May 1902 Alexander Bain s/o John SUTHERLAND & Jane McKENZIE, Tow ,Cunningsburgh, SHI, copy rcvd Dec 2009.
- Letter, Robert B to Lorna Henderson, From interview with Donald YOUNG, desc. of James and Janet (BAIN) McKENZIE, Jul 2004.
- Findmypast online at http://www.findmypast.com, "Ballarat" 5 Jun 1922 Robert Forbes & Alexander Bain SUTHERLAND, from London to Melbourne, extracted Feb 2009.
- Edith S., "EM SUTHERLAND/McKENZIE ex Edith S," e-mail to Lorna Henderson, Dth Alexander Bain s/o John SUTHERLAND & Jane McKENZIE, rcvd Dec 2009.
- Edith S., "EM SUTHERLAND/McKENZIE ex Edith S," e-mail to Lorna Henderson, 15 Jun 1956 Letter from B SMITH (Brind, Cunningsburgh, SHI) to Jessie SUTHERLAND (Sth Melbourne, VIC), orignal rcvd Jan 2010.
- Barbara TUCK, "EM SUTHERLAND, Barbara ex Barbara T," e-mail to L McIntosh (1), Rcvd Jul 2004.
- Ancestry.com online at http://search.ancestry.com, 1943 Jessie & Alexander SUTHERLAND, Sth Melbourne Subdivision, Melbourne Ports, VIC, from Australian Electoral Rolls, 1903-1954, extracted Jan 2010.
- Janice HALCROW, "EM SUTHERLAND, John, SHI ex Janice H," e-mail to L McIntosh (1), Aug 2002 ex school admissions registers.
- Edith S., "EM SUTHERLAND/McKENZIE ex Edith S," e-mail to Lorna Henderson, 9 Nov 1947 Letters (2) from Jamie(SUTHERLAND, Mertoun Schoolhouse, St Boswells, Roxburghshire) to Sandy (SUTHERLAND, 361 Coventry St, S Melbourne, VIC), orignal rcvd Jan 2010.
E. & O. E. Some/most parish records are rather hard to read and names, places hard to interpret, particularly if you are unfamiliar with an area.