(23 November 1892 - 1958)
|Father||John Sutherland1,2,3 (Jul 1859 - Feb 1937)|
|Mother||Jane McKenzie1,2,3 (Jul 1857 - Oct 1947)|
|Relationship||2nd cousin 3 times removed of Lorna Henderson|
BMDB dataJessie Sutherland was born on 23 Nov 1892 Leon, Ollaberry, Northmavine, SHI, SCT.1,2,4
Jessie Sutherland died in 1958 Melbourne, Dist of Collingwood, VIC, AUS.3,5,4,6
MigrationJessie Sutherland emigrated 5 Mar 1927 on the "Orama" from London to Victoria, Australia described as Miss J Sutherland, 34, domestic, UK address c/- Mrs Gray, 2 Northbank Tce, Kelvinside, Glasgow, with the ship also having passengers due to disembark at Colombo. No sign of Sandy or William Donald on the same ship, and it has subsequently been found that Alexander, William and Robert were all on the "Ballarat" in 1922. Initial family information (from Donald Young, Jessie's nephew) was that the Sutherland siblings Alexander Bain, William Donald, and Jessie, all ended up in Australia. They were presumed to have emigrated together, and although Donald doesn't say brother Robert also went, other information says he did, but returned5,4
Census/Where lived/OccupationsJessie Sutherland was believed by those still in the Shetlands who remember the family to be "a school teacher outwith Shetland". However that would appear to be one of her brothers instead.7 She appeared on the census of 1901 Tow, Par. of Cunningsburgh, SHI, SCT, in the household of John Sutherland and Jane McKenzie.8
Aft. 1901 James and Jessie Sutherland were living AUS at least Ruby thought so, ie that Jimmy emigrated to Australia, and sister Jessie went out to keep house for him. Later information revised this to Jessie emigrating with two other of her brothers, William and Alexander (but the facts show that the three youngest brothers, Robert, William and Sandy emigrated in 1922 and Jessie followed in 1927, with Robert returning to Scotland.)9,5
The electoral roll of 1936 records Jessie Sutherland 361 Coventry St, Emerald Hill, Melbourne Ports, VIC, AUS, Home duties (no other SUTHERLAND at same address.)10 By 1943 Jessie and Alexander Bain Sutherland were living 361 Coventry St, Sth Melbourne, Melbourne Ports, VIC, AUS, Alexander, labourer, Jessie home duties.11
All the other infoAll the Sutherland family except Babs were in the war and survived including Jessie.9 Jessie Sutherland purchased the burial plot of John McKenzie however, as there is also a receipt for the same plot from another McKenzie, and Jessie is also buried there, the cert. must have been for her burial, not for that of James in the New General Cem., Melbourne, VIC, AUS.12
A letter Barbara Thom Smith sent to Jessie Sutherland on 15 Jun 1956 from Brind, Cunningsburgh, SHI, SCT: Mrs M Smith to "Dear Jessie", who are obviously not in the habit of communicating regularly:
"I am breaking the silence of many years in the hope you will write an answer to this"
She hopes that "you and Sandy and Williie are all well." but hadn't been well herself. No summer, mainly rain...
"I had a letter from Hugh (brother) last Saturday. He always says he is leaving Broadloan..." The others are all well so far as I know" .. Matties wife Jessie is dead. You will kow that Johnnies wife died a good time ago. He is married again to a woman about Jackies age. ... I have not seen any of the others since mother died. ... Mike (as yet unidentified) is failing he had to have one of his eyes removed ...
"Cunningsburgh is very quiet nothing doing in the work line. There was some work when the electric was put up." ... "your loving sister B Smith."6
|Last Edited||20 Apr 2013|
- Tony GOTT, "EM BAIN/SUTHERLAND CAI & SHI ex GOTT," e-mail to L McIntosh, Apr 2001.
- Janice HALCROW, "EM SUTHERLAND, John, SHI ex Janice H," e-mail to L McIntosh (1), Apr 2002 ex Northmavine birth records.
- Ancestry.com online at http://search.ancestry.com, Dth 1958 Jessie d/o John SUTHERLAND & Jean McKENZIE, aged 65, reg. Collingwood, VIC, reg. 2174, from Australia Death Index 1787-1985, extracted from index Apr 2013.
- Edith S., "EM SUTHERLAND/McKENZIE ex Edith S," e-mail to Lorna Henderson, 27 Jan 1927 Jessie SUTHERLAND, Passport L075030, rcvd Jan 2010.
- Letter, Robert B to Lorna Henderson, From interview with Donald YOUNG, desc. of James and Janet (BAIN) McKENZIE, Jul 2004.
- Edith S., "EM SUTHERLAND/McKENZIE ex Edith S," e-mail to Lorna Henderson, 15 Jun 1956 Letter from B SMITH (Brind, Cunningsburgh, SHI) to Jessie SUTHERLAND (Sth Melbourne, VIC), orignal rcvd Jan 2010.
- Janice HALCROW, "EM SUTHERLAND, John, SHI ex Janice H," e-mail to L McIntosh (1), ex Janice's mother-in-law (Mrs HALCROW?) Apr 2002.
- Janice HALCROW, "EM SUTHERLAND, John, SHI ex Janice H," e-mail to L McIntosh (1), Apr 2002 ex 1901 Cunningsburgh Census.
- Janice HALCROW, "EM SUTHERLAND, John, SHI ex Janice H," e-mail to L McIntosh (1), Apr 2002 ex Ruby HALCROW.
- Ancestry.com online at http://search.ancestry.com, 1936 Jessie SUTHERLAND, home duties, Emerald Hill Subdivision, Melbourne Ports, VIC, from Australian Electoral Rolls, 1903-1954, extracted Jan 2010.
- Ancestry.com online at http://search.ancestry.com, 1943 Jessie & Alexander SUTHERLAND, Sth Melbourne Subdivision, Melbourne Ports, VIC, from Australian Electoral Rolls, 1903-1954, extracted Jan 2010.
- Edith S., "EM SUTHERLAND/McKENZIE ex Edith S," e-mail to Lorna Henderson, Bur. 19.11.47 John MacKENZIE, aged 89, Certificate of right of Burial, New Melbourne General Cemetry, application by Jessie SUTHERLAND, allotment 1092, orignal rcvd Jan 2010.
E. & O. E. Some/most parish records are rather hard to read and names, places hard to interpret, particularly if you are unfamiliar with an area.