(circa 1813 - between 1851 and 1856)
BMDB dataHelen Manson was born cir. 1813 Olrig, CAI, SCT.3
Helen Manson married Alexander Manson, son of William Manson and Christan Young, on 15 Dec 1834 Olrig, CAI, the entry reading: Alexander Manson and Helen Manson, Castletown, were matrimonially contracted 22 Nov and married 15 Dec.4
Helen Manson died bet. 1851 - 1856 ?Wick, CAI, SCT; (Alexander a widower when remarried in 1856.)5
Census/Where lived/OccupationsHelen Manson lived in Dec 1834 Castletown, Par of Olrig, CAI, SCT.4 In Sep 1835 Helen Manson and Alexander Manson were living Castletown, Par of Olrig, CAI, when their first child was born.8
Helen Manson appeared on the census of 1841 Mowat's Lane, Wick, CAI, SCT, with Alexander Manson, as MANSON: Alexander 30 ropemaker; Hellen (sic) 30; Jackbina (sic) 6; Christina 4; Margrate (sic) 2; Donald 20 mason (NB enumerators were instructed to round ages down to the nearest multiple of 5.)9
Helen Manson appeared on the census of 30 Mar 1851 55 Henrietta St, Wick, CAI, SCT, with Alexander Manson, enumerated as MANSON: Alexander, head, ropemaker, 35, b Watten; wife Hellen, 38, b Olrig. Children: Jacobina, 14, b Olrig; Catherine, 12, b Thurso; Margaret, 9, scholar, b Wick; William, 5, scholar, b Wick. Anne FLETT, visitor, unm, 26, b Ornkey, Kirkwall; Alexander BREMNER, visitor, 1 b Wick.3
All the other infoHelen Manson is a potential duplicate of Eleanor Manson; age rather far out, but mother of Eleanor is a Jacobina, which would fit naming pattern for Alexander and Helen's children.10 Helen Manson and Donald Manson in 1841 were possibly related, why else would a 20 yr old Donald be living with Alexander and Helen in 1841? Not obviously a relative of Alexander's, so assumed to be one of Helen's.9,11
|Alexander Manson (cir. Jan 1811 - Sep 1877)|
|Last Edited||28 Oct 2016|
- Jacobina BAIN nee MANSON (2545), DC BAIN, Jacobina (Manson) 1886.
- P K Bain, "EM BAIN, Pat Dunedin," e-mail to L McIntosh, BAIN/MANSON marriage from certifed copy (dated Jul 1972) from the Register of Marriages for the Burgh of Wick 1859 #12, rcvd 1994.
- Letter, P K BAIN to L McIntosh, Jan 1994, from 1851 census; Wick: Enum book #4, Sheet 15, rcvd Feb 1994.
- P K Bain, "EM BAIN, Pat Dunedin," e-mail to L McIntosh, MANSON/MANSON marriage 1834, from Olrig Births and Marriages 1820-1854 OPR 39/2 Frame 340 Batch M110394 Source 990553, rcvd Aug 2003.
- P K Bain, "EM BAIN, Pat Dunedin," e-mail to L McIntosh, Mar cert 1856 Alexander MANSON to Eliz. MANSON (from Bill and Margaret MacKay), rcvd Aug 2003.
- "Lorna's Family History Musings", Aug 2003.
- Scottish BMDB entries (from 1855), http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/index.php, Dtn 5 Apr 1897 Helen d/o David MANSON & Margaret SWANSON, Ness, Dunnet, CAI, 036/00 #7, copy d/loaded Aug 2015.
- P K Bain, "EM BAIN, Pat Dunedin," e-mail to L McIntosh, MANSON/MANSON baptisms from Olrig Births and Marriages 1820-1854 OPR 39/2 Frame 305 ex Bill & Margaret MacKay to Ray Honaker, rcvd Aug 2003.
- FreeCensus, UK online at http://www.freecen.org.uk/, 1841 Wick, CAI: Piece: SCT1841/43 EnumDist 2 Page 23, extracted Dec 2004.
- 1993 IGI extract - MANSON, CAI, SCT, Batch C110392-?-990553 extracted Aug 2003.
- "Lorna's Family History Musings", Dec 2004.
- Jacobina BAIN nee MANSON (2545), DC BAIN, Jacobina (Manson) 1886, Inspection p/copy held by L McIntosh, rcvd Dec 1993.
- Letter, P K BAIN to L McIntosh, Jan 1994, (from 1851 census) rcvd Feb 1994.
- P K Bain, "EM BAIN, Pat Dunedin," e-mail to L McIntosh, ex Doreen McDonald from Microfiche Index, LDS , rcvd Aug 2003.
- 1993 IGI extract - MANSON, CAI, SCT, Batch C110432-?-990558,99 Sheet 55, extracted Aug 2003.
E. & O. E. Some/most parish records are rather hard to read and names, places hard to interpret, particularly if you are unfamiliar with an area.