(14 June 1822 - 2 December 1904)
|Father||John Bain (R-BY2937)1,2 (cir. 1784 - Jun 1853)|
|Mother||Catherine Gray2 (cir. Sep 1785 - Jan 1865)|
|Relationship||4th great-aunt of Lorna Henderson|
BMDB dataJanet Bain was born Clashscribie and baptized on 14 Jun 1822 Par. of Latheron CAI SCT.3,1
Janet Bain married James McKenzie, son of James McKenzie and Margaret Sinclair, on 7 Jul 1854 Par. of Latheron, CAI, SCT, (their respective parents having been in the Napoleonic Wars together4.5,4)
Janet Bain died on 2 Dec 1904 Clashmaharribeg, Lybster, CAI, SCT, at age 82; cert reads: Janet MacKenzie married to James MacKenzie crofter, dtr of John Bain, crofter and Chelsea Pensioner, and Catherine Grey, dec. died 2 Dec 1904 at 7:45am at Chashmaharribeg, Lybster, aged 82, of debility from age, gradual, inf. widower, James MacKenzie, present.2
Census/Where lived/OccupationsIt is possible that Janet was Lybster, Par. of Latheron, CAI, SCT, in 1841 ? the 20 yr old fem. servant b CAI with Robert (gen. merchant) and Eliz. Grant (also Alexr Sutherland, 15 shoemaker apprentice). Another option is the 15 yr old servant with Kenneth (blacksmith) and Margt Sutherland and family.6
Janet Bain appeared on the census of 1851 Swiney, Latheron, CAI, SCT, enumerated as nearest match is the 24 yr old (should be at least 28 but all the other Janet's were wives or dtrs of the wrong parents to be this Janet) house servant in the household of William (merchant, 65 b Thurso) and Janet (59 b Halkirk) Sutherland.7
Janet Bain appeared on the census of 7 Apr 1861 Upper Lybster, Par. of Latheron, CAI, SCT, with James McKenzie, enumerated as (entry #88, all b Lybster) James McKenzie, head, 35, farmer of 10 acres; Janet, wife, 36; Dtrs Catherine, 6; Jane 5; Son John 1. Servant Janet Bain, 14, domestic servant (dtr of Janet's brother James.)8,9
The census of 1871 showed Janet with her husband James, their dtrs Catherine, Margaret and Barbara Lybster Estate, Upper Lybster, Par. of Latheron, CAI, SCT, household enumerated as McKENZIE: James Jr 44 crofter b Lybster, Latheron; wife Janet 48 b Forse, Latheron; Children: Catherine 16, John 11, Margt 7, Barbara 5 all scholars b Lybster.10
Janet Bain appeared on the census of 3 Apr 1881 Upper Lybster, Latheron, CAI, SCT, with James McKenzie, enumerated as McKENZIE: James, farmer of 20 acres arable, 54, wife Janet B. 60. Dtrs Barbara, 15 and Margaret, 17 both dom. serv. All b. Latheron.3
The census of 1891 showed Janet with her husband James, their dtrs Margaret and Barbara Upper Lybster, Par. of Latheron, CAI, household enumerated as McKENZIE: James 64 farmer; wife Janet 67; Children: Maggie 27 farmer's daur, Barbara (FORBES) 25 farm servant's wife; All b Latheron.11
Janet McKenzie appeared on the census of 1901 Upper Lybster, Par. of Latheron, CAI, with James McKenzie, enumerated as MacKENZIE: James 74 crofter; wife Janet 78; FORBES: Son-in-law Robert 38, crofter's son-in-law; Maggie (dtr) 36; Grdchildren (FORBES): Alexander 7, Jessie 6,both scholars; Jeannie 4, Jamesina 2, Maggie 2 mos; All b Latheron.12
All the other infoA photo of Janet Bain and James McKenzie taken probably in Lybster, Par. of Latheron, CAI, SCT, shows Janet Bain; captioned: "James McKenzie (1826 to 1906) and his wife Janet Bain (1822 to 1904). He was one of the last major carters of herrings at Lybster and also one of the last native gaelic speakers. His wife at one time was a domestic servant with Mr. Peter Pennycook, excise officer, Lybster, c 1840."13
|James McKenzie (Jun 1826 - Oct 1906)|
|Charts||Ancestors & siblings of Les Henderson|
|Last Edited||18 Feb 2010|
- Letter, Robert B to Lorna Henderson, Bap. 1822 Janet BAIN, rcvd May 2003.
- GRO, SCT, BDM searches at GRO SCT: Dth 1904 Janet MacKENZIE nee BAIN, transcr, Robert McC, Jul 2004.
- 1881 Census transcripts, UK, via Family Search/LDS CDs, FHL Film 0203401 GRO Ref Volume 038 EnumDist 5 Page 16, extracted c 2001.
- Letter, Robert B to Lorna Henderson, From interview with Donald YOUNG, desc. of James and Janet (BAIN) McKENZIE, 14 Jul 2004.
- BAIN, International Genealogical Index (IGI), Mar. 1854 Janet BAIN and James McKENZIE, batch M110384, extracted Apr 2001, rechecked Jul 2004.
- FreeCensus, UK online at http://www.freecen.org.uk/, 1841 Latheron, Dist 038 EnumDist 20 page 9, searched Jul 2004.
- 1851 Census (images for ENG, transcriptions for SCT), UK, via Ancestry.com, Swiney, Latheron, CAI ED 8 Pg 19 Sched 66 hsehold of William & Janet SUTHERLAND, extracted Jan 2007.
- Carol MARTIN, "EM CAI families ex Carol MARTIN," e-mail to L McIntosh (1), Ex 1861 Census index, EnumDist 3 8 Schedule 38 pages 17/18, rcvd Jul 2004.
- 1861 Census, CAI, SCT, Section 8, EnumDist 3 pp17/18, entry 88, extracted Jul 2004 (p/copy held).
- 1871 Census (images for ENG, transcriptions for SCT), UK, Via Ancestry.com, Upper Lybster, Lybster Estate, Latheron, CAI Reg. 38 ED 5 Pg 1Sched 1, hsehold of James McKENZIE (Jr) and Janet McKENZIE, extracted Nov 2009.
- 1891 Census (images for ENG, transcriptions for SCT), UK, Via Ancestry.com, Upper Lybster, Lybster Estate, Latheron, CAI Reg. 38 ED 5 Pg 11 Sched 45, hsehold of James and Janet McKENZIE, extracted Nov 2009.
- 1901 Census (images for ENG, transcriptions for SCT), UK, Via Ancestry.com, Upper Lybster, Latheron, CAI Reg. 38 ED 5 Pg 10 Sched 39, hsehold of James and Janet MacKENZIE, extracted Jan 2010.
- Letter, Robert B to Lorna Henderson, Taken from the Lybster book by Donald YOUNG, copy rcvd Jul 2004.
- Ancestry.com online at http://search.ancestry.com, Dth 2 Jul 1929 Catherine SHEARER, reg. York Co, ONT roll MS935_368, from Ontario, Canada Deaths, 1869-1934, extracted Nov 2009.
- Online search: assorted surnames, International Genealogical Index (IGI), McKENZIE, batch C110381, extracted Apr 2001.
- GRO, SCT, BDM searches at GRO SCT: Mar. cert 1883 John SUTHERLAND to Jane McKENZIE trans. Robert B. Oct 2002.
- GRO, SCT, BDM searches at GRO SCT: Dth 1947 Jane SUTHERLAND nee McKENZIE, transcr. by Robert McC rcvd Apr 2005.
E. & O. E. Some/most parish records are rather hard to read and names, places hard to interpret, particularly if you are unfamiliar with an area.