(1830 - 5 August 1896)
|Father||James Fairbairn2 (cir. Dec 1794 - bet. 1851 - 1854)|
|Mother||Joan Forsyth2 (say 1795 - cir. 1834)|
|Relationship||1st cousin 4 times removed of Lorna Henderson|
Barbara FAIRCHILD (1830-c 1894)
BMDB dataBarbara Fairbairn was born in 1830 ROX, SCT, the year implied by her age in the 1841 census is agreed by that on her New York Emigrant Savings Bank entry for 1865, which also provides the place of "Roxboro". This fits the 1841 census entry of "not Selkirkshire". Possibly in Hobkirk Parish, given that is where the next by age child was baptized?2,1,3
Barbara Fairchild died on 5 Aug 1896 Brooklyn, Kings Co., NY, USA.4,5,6
MigrationBarbara Fairchild immigrated to New York, NY, USA, in 1857; from Edinburgh, this information being from her NY Emigrant Savings Bank record dated 1865, and several years later than the family information of "before 1852."3,7
Census/Where lived/OccupationsBarbara Fairbairn appeared on the census of 1841 Sloethorn Bank, Selkirk Burgh, SEL, SCT, in the household of James Fairbairn and is assumed to be a dtr.2,8 Barbara Fairbairn was not found in the census of 1851 SCT or ENG although she supposedly wasn't in NY until later than this date.9 By 27 Jul 1865 Barbara was living 106 Sullivan, New York, NY, USA, as shown in entry #193 in a "test Book". She is shown as a dressmaker, born 1830, Scotland, Roxboro', arrd 1857 per Edinburgh, single.3
Barb Fairchild appeared on the census of 1870 New York Ward 6, New York, NY, USA, enumerated as FAIRCHILD: Barb 38 unm dress maker b SCT, in hsehold of Isaac E TATE shoe dealer and real estate and wife Mary and a heap of others.10
Wills/bequestsHer estate was probated on 23 Nov 1896 Surrogate's Court, Hall of Records, Brooklyn, Kings Co., NY, USA; this date being from a Surrogate's Notice published in The Brooklyn Daily Eagle, 7 Oct 1896: THE PEOPLE OF THE STATE OF NEW YORK, by the grace of God free and independent- To Walter Fairbairn, Hannah Reid, Janet Ferguson, Mary Lawless, Joan Fairbairn, Agnes E Safley, John H Safely, James F Safely, Robert B Safely, Frank R Safely, Barbara Safely, Walter A Safely, Thomas F Scott, Millie Evans, James E Fairbairn, Walter F Fairbairn, William G Fairbairn, Josie Lamson, Agnes Kippler (sic), Helen J Viele, James A Fairchild, John W Fairchild, Barbara E Fairbairn, Byron Fairchild Safely (assumed for now to be Robert Byron Fairchild), Norma C Safely (assumed for now to be Norma Coulsen Fairchild) send greeting: Whereas Sarah T Davis of the City of Brooklyn, N.Y., has lately petitioned our Surrogate's Court of the County of Kings to have a certain instrument in writing, bearing date the 19th day of June, 1896, relating to personal property, duly proved as the last will and testament of BARBARA FAIRBAIRN otherwise known as BARBARA FAIRCHILD, late of Brooklyn, N.Y., deceased. Wherefore you, and each of you, are hereby cited and required to appear before our Surrogate of the County of Kings, at a Surrogate's Court, to be held at the Hall of Records, in the City of Brooklyn, on the 23rd day of November, 1896, at two o'clock in the forenoon, then and there to attend the probate of the said last will and testament; and that the above named infants then and there show cause why a special guardian should not be appointed to appear for them on the probate of said last will and testament.
In testimony whereof, we have caused the seal of our said Surrogate's Court to be hereunto affixed. Witness, Hon George B Abbott, Surrogate of our said County, at the City of Brooklyn, the 28th day of September in the year of our Lord one thousand eight hun'ydred and ninety-six. JOSEPH W CARROLL, Clerk of the Surrogate's Court. David F Manning, Att'y for Petitioner, 350 Fulton street, Brooklyn, N.Y.
Affidavit by petitioner Sarah T DAVIS (26 Sep 1896) for the will of personal property of Barbara FAIRBAIRN otherwise known as Barbara FAIRCHILD, resident of NY who d. 5 Aug 1896; Names and relationships of those having a claim to the estate:
Walter FAIRBAIRN, 547 Colborne St, London, Canada, brother
Hannah REID, #20 Jordan Lane, Morningside, Edinburgh, Scotland, sister
Janet FERGUSON, Tipton, Iowa, sister
Nieces: Mary LAWLESS, New Berlin, Florida, Joan FAIRBAIRN, Red Rock, Minnesota, Agnes E SAFELY, Windom, Minnesota; Nephew; John H SAFELY, Council Bluffs, Minnesota; (hand written at bottom of page) No relationship Mary E TATE Brooklyn; (next page) Nephews: James F SAFELY, Portland Oregon, Robert B SAFELY, Clarence, Iowa; Nieces: Frank R SAFELY (sic) & Barbara SAFELY, both of Clarence, Iowa; Nephews: Walter A SAFELY Wayland, Henry Co., Iowa, Thomas F SCOTT 28 George St, Bridgeport, Conn; Niece Millie EVANS #100 Warnecliiffe Rd, South London, Ontario, CAN; Nephews: James E FAIRBAIRN Everett, Inohomish Co., Washington, Walter F FAIRBAIRN, Dorchester CAN, William G FAIRBAIRN Buffalo, NY; Nieces: Mrs William LAMSON (Josie) & Agnes KIPPLER both of living 786 Fort St East, Detroit, MI; Helen J VIELE Blair, Nebraska; Nephew: James A FAIRCHILD Blair, NE John W FAIRCHILD Columbus, OH; Niece: Barbara E FAIRBAIRN Red Rock, Minn; Nephew Byron Fairchild SAFELY Windom Minn; Niece Norma C SAFELY Clarence Iowa; All of full age and sound mind except: Barbara E FAIRBAIRN & Byron Fairchild SAFELY & Norma C SAFELY who are infants over the age of fourteen years;
Will was written 10 Jun 1896.5,6
All the other infoBarbara Fairchild is remembered by Grandma Viele "Came to America before 1852 (more likely prior to 1851 as not obvious in Scotland in that census, despite what the NY Emigrant Savings Bank says (1857)). She was a spinster dressmaker in one wealthy family for 20 years in New York City. She was a wonderful person. (father here is John b 1832.)11,9,3 Also from "Grandma Viele": Aunt Barbara was father's favorite sister. She took the name Fairchild when she came over from Scotland. She may have given him the idea to take the name Fairchild. ... She and my father were very close to one another."11
John & Bessie (FFLINT) FAIRBAIRN
|Last Edited||6 Jul 2013|
- Lorna Henderson, "FAIRBAIRN Analysis", Jun 2008.
- Sanna F Ross (Gaffney), "EM FAIRBAIRN: Borders ex Sanna G," e-mail to Lorna & GenForum FAIRBAIRN, Mar 2001 ex 1841 SEL.
- Ancestry.com online at http://search.ancestry.com, 27 Jul 1865 Barbara FAIRCHILDS, from M'film 9 Account 48193, New York Emigrant Savings Bank, 1850-1883, extracted Jun 2008.
- Betsy SCHMITT, "Corres. re FAIRBAIRN/SAFELY between Betsy S & LornaHen," e-mail to Lorna Henderson, FAIRBAIRN/SAFLEY family, rcvd May 2008.
- Newspaper clippings, 7 Oct 1896 Barbara FAIRBAIRN otherwise FAIRCHILD, Surrogate's Notice, from The Brooklyn Daily Eagle, copy d/loaded Jul 2009.
- FamilySearch Labs Record Search (LDS) online at http://search.labs.familysearch.org/recordsearch/, Sarah T DAVIS, petitioner at the Kings County Surrogate's Court for estate of Barbara FAIRBAIRN or FAIRCHILD (d. 5 Aug 1896), from New York, Kings County Estate Files, 1866-1923, extracted from image Apr 2013.
- Melinda NORTON, "Corres. re FAIRBAIRN/SAFELY between Melinda N & LornaHen," e-mail to Lorna Henderson, "Grandma Viele's" reminiscences, Barbara FAIRCHILD, rcvd Jun 2008.
- FreeCensus, UK online at http://www.freecen.org.uk/, SCT1841/778 Selkirk ED 3 Selkirk Burgh F 3 Pg 18, Sloethorn Bank, hsehold of James FAIRBAIRN, rechecked May 2008.
- 1851 Census (images for ENG, transcriptions for SCT), UK, via Ancestry.com, UK, searched for Barb* Fair*, Jun 2008.
- USA census images, Various, 1870 New York Ward 8 Dist 6 (wnd Enum), New York, New York, Roll M593_1020 Pg 85 ED 171, extracted Jun 2008.
- Melinda NORTON, "Corres. re FAIRBAIRN/SAFELY between Melinda N & LornaHen," e-mail to Lorna Henderson, FAIRBAIRN/SAFLEY family, "Grandma Viele's reminiscences", rcvd Jun 2008.
E. & O. E. Some/most parish records are rather hard to read and names, places hard to interpret, particularly if you are unfamiliar with an area.