John Trimble Davey1
(18 November 1855 - 19 September 1922)
|Father||Henry Davey1 (cir. 1829 - Mar 1882)|
|Mother||Sarah Peek Rowe1 (Jan 1826 - bet. Mar 1915 - Jun 1915)|
|Relationship||1st cousin 3 times removed of Lorna Henderson|
BMDB dataJohn Trimble Davey was born on 18 Nov 1855 Exeter, DEV, ENG, he had turned 35 "last Tuesday the 18th of Nov" in a letter dated 20th in 1890.2,1
John Trimble Davey died on 19 Sep 1922 Auckland, AKD, NZ, at age 66.3,4
MigrationJohn Trimble Davey immigrated cir. 1888 to Auckland, AKD, NZ; date assumed from date of will left behind in Exeter. He was not listed in the Auckland arrivals 1883-1915 index held In the NZ National Archives, but these were presumably assisted immigrants.5
Census/Where lived/OccupationsThe census of 7 Apr 1861 showed John, Henry and Frederic in the household of their parents Henry and Sarah Davey and a boarder James Rowe, Queen St (3 & 4), All Hallows Goldsmith, Exeter, DEV, ENG, enumerated as DAVEY: Henry 31 linen draper, b Ashwater, DEV; wife Sarah 35 b Bickleigh, DEV; Children (next page) John T 5; Henry C 2; Frederic W (sic) 1 (all b Exeter); Sister: Harriett Davey unm, 33 draper's assistant b Ashwater; Boarder: James Rowe unm, 83 (indexed as 23 but, with knowledge, can be read as 83, James is actually Sarah's uncle), gentleman b North Buckland, DEV; and 3 assistants and 2 servants (one was a Harriett Tozer 14 nurse serv. b Whitestone, DEV.)6
The census of 7 Apr 1871 showed Henry, John, Frederick, Sidney and Ernest in the household of their parents Henry and Sarah Davey Queens St (3 & 4), All Hallows Goldsmith, Exeter, DEV, ENG, enumerated as DAVEY: Henry 41 head linen draper b Ashwater DEV; wife Sarah P, 45 b Bickleigh; Children (all b Exeter): John T 15 chemist; Henry C 15 (yes, both were given as 15) ; Frederick W 11; Sidney R 5; Alice R 8; Ada T, 6; (all scholars); Ernest E 2; Sister: Harriet Davey 43 unm, assisant in drapery b Ashwater; Niece Emma Clifton 20 b Ashwater; Apprentices: John Pickard 16 b Stratton CON; Charles H Willis 17 b Exeter; Kate Wyllie 20 b Exeter; Assitants: Elizabeth J Dollen 39 (indexed as 44) b Kininster, SOM; George Dewdney 18 (indexed as 68) b Plymouth; Servants: Elizabeth Channon 20 b Silverton DEV; Susan Pike 19 b Bow, DEV.7,8 It is possible that John Trimble Davey was 4 Granby Ope, Stoke Damerel, DEV, ENG, in 1881 ?the one with William Metters, 30, smith (E & M), wife Mary Ellen, 36, both b Tavistock. Visitor Ann Maria Ennor, dressmaker, 23, b Calstock, CON. Lodger: John Davey, 25, birthplace unknown, groom (8/1). Those in London (West, East and Middlesex) were all married or completely wrong occupation, as is this, but he is the only Davey of the right age, birthplace and single. Also John's mother Sarah's family has connections with a Metters family.9,10 In Mar 1888 John Trimble Davey was a chemist and druggist of 95 Mare St, Hackney, MDX, ENG.11 He was a retired chemist, but latterly a fruit farmer in Sep 1922 of Swanson, AKD, NZ.4
Wills/bequestsJohn Trimble Davey of 99 St Sidwells, Exeter, DEV, ENG, left a will on 2 Mar 1888 presumably written as he was leaving England for NZ, in which he left his estate in equal shares to his 4 brothers (Henry Charles; Fredrick William; Sidney Rowe; Ernest Edward) and sister (Ada Trimble Davey); mother Sarah Peake Davey, named executrix; John described as chemist and druggist of 99 St Sidwells, Exeter, late of 95 Mare St Hackney, Middlesex. Witnessed by Alice Hallate (subsequently found to be nee Collings) and Arthur Collings, Clerk, both of 99 St Sidwell Exeter (assumed to be John's cousins). By the time John died it appears that only Henry and Ada were left to inherit, approximately £2,150 each less expenses probably.11 His estate was probated on 4 May 1923 Wellington, WTN, NZ; shown on probate index as: John Trimble Davey, fruitfarmer, Swanson, letters of admin filed Wgtn Court, 4 May 1923, held Wgtn Arch, prob. ref 33629. The file holds application by Public Trustee to adminster estate noting: John Trimble Davey, formerly of Exeter, Devon, chemist and druggist but late of Swanson, fruit farmer, died Auck 19 Sep 1922, that his last will and testament was the will dated 2 Mar 1888; that a letter was found in John's house, addressed to the Public Trustee and saying that the executrix named in the will (his mother Sarah Peake Davey) was dead, and requesting the Public Trust to administer the estate; that the effects were under the value of £4,300; that Henry Charles Davey, brother of the deceased did "verily believe that the said deceased was at his birth and throughout his life a subject of Great Britain only.. and was born in Devon, England.12,13
All the other infoJohn Trimble Davey was mentioned as a son of Sarah Peek Rowe in the letter written on 20 Nov 1890 to William Rowe from Dagwood Pl, St Sidwell, Exeter, DEV, ENG.14,2 John Trimble Davey was mentioned in the letter from Sarah Peek Rowe to William Rowe on 20 Feb 1902 from 11 Regents Park, Polsloe Rd, Heavitree, Exeter, DEV, ENG.15 Apparently wrote to his mother regularly, but she didn't think he was very happy "..but his must be a very lonely life."16 John Trimble Davey was mentioned as a son of Sarah Peek Rowe in the letter written on 9 Nov 1905 to William Rowe from 11 Regents Park (11), Polsloe Rd, Heavitree, Exeter, DEV, ENG.16 John Trimble Davey was mentioned as a son of Sarah Peek Rowe in the letter written on 25 Oct 1906 to William Rowe from Regents Park (11), Heavitree, Exeter, DEV, ENG.17 On 9 Aug 1922 John Trimble Davey sent a letter from Swanson, AKD, NZ, written about 6 weeks prior to his death, and found in the house after death, addressed to the Public Trustee, Auckland ..."I have no near relatives in NZ but in England: Brother Henry Charles Davey of Messrs Laurence & Davey Silk Warehousemen, 21 Golden Square, London W; Sister Mrs Ada Trimble Hull, married, 57 Polsloe Rd, Exeter, England.. will made 1888 in their hands, they are the only persons benefiting under it, but the executor is deceased (mother Sarah)..My securities, account books, most of cash in hand, etc will be found as follows. In the larger front room, in the partition between it and my bedroom, the fifth plank from the floor, about centre of length are two extra nails & a ?ledge?, between saw marks, this is the door of a sort of cupboard in the partition, which contains the papers etc" signed "John T Davey (full name John Trimble Davey.18)"
ROWE descendant chart
|Last Edited||20 Apr 2008|
- Pat Nichols nee Baker, "FTREE: ROWE, JosephCROSS, Elizabeth", Page 6.
- Letter, Pat NICHOLS nee BAKER (20707) to L Henderson (1), from copy of letter dated Nov 1890 from S DAVEY to her Brother (William ROWE) & sister (?presumably Honor ROWE nee DAWE, William's wife), original in possession of Marion M, Akd, NZ, rcvd Nov 2003.
- Letter, Pat NICHOLS nee BAKER (20707) to L Henderson (1), Apr 2002.
- PROB DAVEY, John T 1923 33629/23 (AAOM 6029), Affidavit as to dth 19 Sep 1922 of John Trimble DAVEY by Medical Superintendent, written 15 Dec 1922 Auck, p/copy held, rcvd Nov 2003.
- Various names, various ships Ships passenger index: assisted immigration, Auckland arrivals 1883-1915, index searched Nov 2003.
- 1861 Census images, England & Wales, via Ancestry.com, Exeter All Hallows Goldsmith St, DEV Dist 7 RG9/1398 Folio 45 Pages 29/30 Schedul #172, copy d/loaded Aug 2005.
- Brenda ROWE, "EM ROWE family ex Brenda ROWE nee RIDDLE," e-mail to L Henderson (1), 13 Jun 2000 ex Pat NICHOLS.
- 1871 Census, ENG, Ancestry.com: Exeter Allhallows Goldsmith DEV Reg Dist Exeter Sub Dist St David RG10/2069 ED 17 Folio 43 Page 6 Schedule #24, extracted Nov 2004.
- 1881 Census transcripts, UK, via Family Search/LDS CDs, FHL Film 1341532 PRO Ref RG11 Piece 2209 Folio 127 Page 50, extracted pre 2000.
- 1881 Census transcripts, UK, via Family Search/LDS CDs, Greater London West & East Counties, and Middlesex, searched Nov 2003.
- PROB DAVEY, John T 1923 33629/23 (AAOM 6029), Will, 1888 John Trimble DAVEY, written Exeter, p/copy held, rcvd Nov 2003.
- Assorted indexes, NZ Soc. Gen. Index, Probate index extracted Apr 2002.
- PROB DAVEY, John T 1923 33629/23 (AAOM 6029), Application by Public Trustee to administer estate of John Trimble DAVEY, sworn 3 May 1923, Wgtn Supreme Court, p/copy held, rcvd Nov 2003.
- Various, interviews / personal knowledge , Alice HENDERSON and Grace KUCH, both nee ANDREWS, grand nieces of Henry's, Nov 2003.
- ROWE/DAWE Letters & Photos in possession of Marion MORRIS nee ROWE - photographed by Lorna Henderson (1), Apr 2008, 11 Regents Park, Polsloe Rd, Heavitree, Exeter (DEV) Feb 20th 1902 from S P DAVEY to her brother (William ROWE, New Plymouth, TNK, NZ), copy taken Apr 2008.
- Letter, Pat NICHOLS nee BAKER (20707) to L Henderson (1), from copy of letter dated Nov 1905 from S P DAVEY to her Brother (William ROWE), original in possession of Marion M, Akd, NZ, rcvd Nov 2003.
- Letter, Pat NICHOLS nee BAKER (20707) to L Henderson (1), from copy of letter dated Oct 1906 from S P DAVEY to her Brother (William ROWE), original in possession of Marion M, Akd, NZ, rcvd Nov 2003.
- PROB DAVEY, John T 1923 33629/23 (AAOM 6029), Letter from John Trimble DAVEY to The Public Trustee, written Swanson (AKD, NZ) 9 Aug 1922, found in his effects after death, p/copy held, rcvd Nov 2003.
E. & O. E. Some/most parish records are rather hard to read and names, places hard to interpret, particularly if you are unfamiliar with an area.