(circa March 1831 - 17 January 1915)
|Father||Nathaniel Smith Dawe1,2 (cir. Apr 1802 - bet. Sep 1866 - Dec 1866)|
|Mother||Thomasine Yeoman (cir. 1788 - cir. Jun 1878)|
|Relationship||1st cousin 4 times removed of Lorna Henderson|
BMDB dataNathaniel Dawe was born cir. Mar 1831 Sticklepath, Sampford Courtenay, Par. of Sth Tawton, DEV, ENG.3,2,4,5 He was baptized on 3 Apr 1831 in the Par. of Sth Tawton, DEV, ENG; index shows Nathaniel as s/o Nathaniel, miller, & Thomasin DAWE of Sticklepath, S. Courtenay, Par. of South Tawton.4
Nathaniel Dawe married Catherine Watts on 4 Dec 1855 Stoke Damerel, DEV, ENG, Nathaniel a plumber. Wit. included Samuel COTTON.5,6,1,7
Nathaniel Dawe died on 17 Jan 1915 699 Shuter St, Montreal, QUE, CAN.3,8,9 He was buried on 19 Jan 1915 at the Mt Royal (Sect G Lot 299), Montreal, QUE, CAN, entry reads: Nathaniel Dawe husband of Catherine Bennet (sic) residing at six hundred and ninety nine Shuter Street Montreal died January Seventeenth in the year of our Lord one thousand nine hundred and fifteen aged eighty years. He was buried in Mount Royal Cemetery Section G Lot 299 on January nineteenth of the same year. The funeral service was conducted by the undersigned minister of the Mount Royal Bretheren Church Elder Morton L Sands
Charles William Dawe
Census/Where lived/OccupationsNathaniel Dawe appeared on the census of 1841 Glanvel St, Plymouth, Par. of St Charles, DEV, ENG, in the household of Nathaniel Smith Dawe and Tamson Dawe and is assumed to be a son.10,11
Nathaniel Dawe appeared on the census of 1851 2 Gillwell Cottages, Plymouth (Charles the Martyr), DEV, ENG, in the house of Nathaniel Smith Dawe and Tammay Dawe, as the son of Nathaniel Smith Dawe.2 Nathaniel Dawe was tin worker in 1851 Gillwell Cottages (2), Plymouth Charles the Martyr, Plymouth, DEV, ENG.3,2 He appeared on the census of 1861 3 Clarence Pl, East Stonehouse, DEV, ENG, as neighbour of Nathaniel Smith Dawe and Tammay Dawe.12
Nathaniel Dawe was shown as the head of the household in the census of 1861 East Stonehouse, DEV, with Catherine enumerated as DAW: Nathaniel, head, 30, plumber b Sandford, DEV; wife Cath(erin)e, 30 b Flushing, CON; Children: Isaac N 4; Charles W 2 both scholars (!) b Torpoint, DEV; Catherine T 11 mths b Torpoint. (enumerated at the same address but on the next schedule were Nathaniel's parents.)13 Nathaniel Dawe and Catherine Watts were not found in the census of 1871 ENG haven't hit on the right combination for the search for this lot yet, but it does look like they'd already emigrated to Canada.
Nathaniel Dawe appeared on the census of 1881 Ste-Lawrence Ward, Montreal, QUE, CAN, with Catherine Watts, enumerated as Household consists of: DAWE: Nathenel, 50 plumber; Catherine 50; Isaac 24 compositor; Charles 23 compositor; Catherine 20 compositor; Emma 11 all b England and C of E. Also Julius SMART Scottish ethnic origin, 27 born Ontario confectioner, relig. Congregational; James MURREY, English 23 b England, sail maker C of E.14 Nathaniel Dawe and Isaac Nathaniel Daw lived in Jun 1883 22 Ma..e St, Montreal, QUE, CAN, when both were witnesses to Catherine's marriage.15
Nathaniel Dawe appeared on the census of 1891 Ste Cunégonde Town, Hochelaga Co., QUE, CAN, with Catherine Dawe, enumerated as DAWE (indexed as DANE): Nathaniel 52 copper smith b ENG; wife Catherine 50 b ENG; Son Isaac 32 printer b ENG.16
Nathaniel Dawe appeared on the census of 1901 in the St Laurent Ward, Montreal, QUE, CAN, with Catherine Dawe, enumerated as ( ages are 10 yrs out!) DAWE: Nathaniel, 59 coppersmith b 14 Mar 1841; wife Catherine 56 b 22 Jul 1844 both b ENG, emig 187_; Lodger MONTAGUE: Catherine widow 32 b 20 Oct 1868.17
Nathaniel Dawe appeared on the census of 1911 122 Durocher St, Montreal, QUE, CAN, with Catherine Watts, enumerated as DAWE: Nathaniel 72 coppersmith b Mar 1839 ENG; Catharine 70 b Jul 1850 ENG; both emig 1875.18
NamesIn 1861 his surname was recorded as Daw.5
All the other infoNathaniel Dawe witnessed the marriage of William Rowe and Betsy Daw on 4 May 1858 at the Par. Ch, St Budeaux, Dist of Plympton St Mary, DEV, ENG.19,20,21,22 Nathaniel Dawe witnessed the marriage of Julius Andrew Smart and Catherine Thomasine Mary Dawe on 5 Jun 1883 St Martholomey Episc. Ch, Montreal, QUE, CAN.15
|Catherine Watts (cir. 1831 - Nov 1921)|
|Charts||My direct DAWE line|
|Last Edited||25 Sep 2013|
- Findmypast online at http://www.findmypast.com, Marr. 4 Dec 1855 Nathaniel (23) s/o Nathaniel DAWE; Catherine (24) d/o William WATTS, Stoke Damerel, Plymouth, DEV pg 51, from Marriage Register - Transcripts, Plymouth & West Devon Record Office Collection, extracted Jan 2012.
- Census: DEV 1851, PRO HO/107/1878 Folio 388 p 8 LDS film 0221026.
- Lois Saleeba (19674), "EM DAW: Tavistock, ex Lois S," e-mail to Lorna Henderson, DAW(E) FTree, rcvd Dec 1999.
- Findmypast online at http://www.findmypast.com, Bap. 3 Apr 1831 Nathaniel s/o Nathaniel & Thomasin DAW, of Sticklepath, S. Courtenay, Par. of South Tawton, from Devon Baptisms - Transcripts, extracted Sep 2013.
- 1861 Census images, England & Wales, via Ancestry.com, East Stonehouse, DEV Dist 8a RG9/1447 Folio 110 Page 10 Schedule #447, extracted Aug 2005.
- Www FreeBMD ENG online at http://freebmd.rootsweb.com/cgi/search.pl, Marr. 1855 Nathaniel DAWE and Catherine WATTS, reg. Stoke Damerel Dec qtr 5b/581, extracted Oct 2006.
- Midi BERRY, "EM DAWE/YEOMAN/COTTON ex Midi B," e-mail to Lorna Henderson, Marr. 4 Dec 1855 Nathaniel DAWE, Stoke Damerel, DEV, extract rcvd Apr 2012.
- DAW(E) www searches & misc. corres. Ancestry, Quebec, CAN, 1901 extraction: National Archives of Canada: Microfilm Reel No. T-6536, District 177 - Montreal City, Sub-District A25 - St. Lawrence Ward, page 11, extracted Aug 2005.
- Drouin Collection, 1621-1967 (QUE) online at http://ancestry.com, Dth 17 Jan Bur. 19 Jan 1915 Nathaniel DAWE h/o Catherine BENNET, Mt Royal Brethren, Montreal, QUE, extracted from image Jun 2013.
- Val Symis (30421), "EM DAWE/TAYLOR ex Val SYMIS," e-mail to L Henderson (1), DAWE File (DAWEFamilyFromValSymisOct2004 saved in Devon Sources): 1841 Census Plymouth St Charles Page 9, extracted Nov 2004.
- "Lorna's Family History Musings", Jan 2006.
- 1861 Census transcripts, Scotland, via Ancestry.com, East Stonehouse, DEV Dist 8a RG9/1447 Folio 110 Page 10 Schedule #448, hsehold of Nathnl & Tammey DAW, extracted Aug 2005.
- 1861 Census images, England & Wales, via Ancestry.com, East Stonehouse, DEV Dist 8a RG9/1447 Folio 110 Page 10 Schedule #447, hsehold of Nathaniel & Cathe DAW, extracted Aug 2005.
- Online search: assorted surnames, International Genealogical Index (IGI), 1881 Canadian Census: Montreal, QUE FHL Film 1375856 NA Film C-13220 Dist 90 Sub-dist I Division 5 Page 37 Hsehold 189 (as initially found by Val S), extracted Aug 2005.
- Drouin Collection, 1621-1967 (QUE) online at http://ancestry.com, Marr. 5 Jun 1883 Catherine Thomasine Mary DAWE & Julius Andrew SMART, St Bartholomey, Episcopal Reformed, Montreal, QUE, extracted from image Jun 2013.
- Census image, Canada, via Ancestry.com, 1891 Ste Cunégonde Town, Hochelaga, Quebec; Roll: T-6396; Family No: 337, hsehold of Nathaniel & Catherine DAWE (indexed as DANE), extracted Jun 2013.
- Census, CAN, 1901: St Laurent Ward, Montreal, QUE Dist 177 Sub Dist a-25 Archives M'film T-6536, extracted Feb 2006.
- Census image, Canada, via Ancestry.com, 1911 St. Antoine Ward, Montreal St Antoine, Quebec; Page: 9; Family No: 84, hsehold of Nathaniel & Catherine DAWE, extracted Jun 2013.
- Various, BDM Certified copy, Marr. 1858 Betsy DAW and William ROWE, reg. Plympton St Mary Jun qtr 5b/409, copy rcvd Jan 2006, scanned Jan 2012.
- Www FreeBMD ENG online at http://freebmd.rootsweb.com/cgi/search.pl, Marr. 1858 William ROWE and Betsy DAW, reg. Plympton, Jun qtr 5b/409, images checked Jan 2006.
- Letter, Pat NICHOLS nee BAKER (20707) to L Henderson (1), rcvd Feb 2000.
- Communication, Marion MORRIS nee JURY (915), F'Tree Joseph ROWE/Elizabeth CROSS, rcvd Dec 1999.
E. & O. E. Some/most parish records are rather hard to read and names, places hard to interpret, particularly if you are unfamiliar with an area.