(circa 1827 - 18 October 1896)
|Father||James Sutherland2,1,3 (cir. 1801 - Sep 1861)|
|Mother||Elizabeth Keith2,1,3 (Aug 1793 - May 1838)|
BMDB dataMargaret Sutherland was born cir. 1827 CAI, SCT, age given as 41, 1 yr older than Alexander when Jamesina born in 1871, 34, still 1 yr older than Alexander when married 1863, so b. 1829/30, but Alexdr born 1828, so could be 1827/8. Death index gives 69 in 1896, so 1827.1,3,4
Margaret Sutherland married Alexander Bain, son of John Bain and Catherine Gray, on 14 Aug 1863 Skipton Manse, VIC, AUS, Ref: #2928, VIC BDM: Married on 14th August 1863 at the Manse Skipton. Alexander BAIN, farmer, 33, s/o John BAIN, soldier, Catherine GRAY. Margaret SUTHERLAND, 34, d/o James SUTHERLAND, farmer and Elizabeth KEITH. Both born CAI, SCT and single, present and usual res. Stockyard Hill, Youngerahunt(?). Signed Alex BAIN and Margaret SUTHERLAND, X her mark. Wit: Donald and William SUTHERLAND (assumed to be Margaret's brothers). Rites of the Pres. Church of Victoria by Rev Wm T WHAN, Minister at Skipton.
NB on dtr Jamesina's birth cert Alexander states marr. date as 14th Aug 1862, Skipton.
Notes on Skipton: Ripon County, 132m west of Melbourne, rail to Scarsdale then coach 18m. 2 churches RC and C of E. Post, telegraph and money order office. State school.1,5,6,7
Margaret Bain died on 18 Oct 1896 Stockyard Hill, VIC, AUS; Ref #15411: Oct 18th 1896 at Stockyard Hill, County & Shire of Ripon. Margaret BAIN, 69, of chronic gastruth (?) following paralytic stroke of 11 yrs duration, certified Basil J Adam, last seen 9th Oct 1896. D/o James SUTHERLAND, farmer and Elizabeth KEITCH (sic). Inf. Alexander BAIN, husband, farmer, Stockyard Hill. Reg. 18th Oct 1896. Buried 20th Oct 1896, Beaufort Cem., undertaker Richard FARLEY, Rev C S Rose, Pres. Minister, Skipton, Wit William SUTHERLAND. Born Caithness, SCT, in AUS 36 yrs. Married Skipton Res at 33, to Alexander BAIN. Children: John, 30, Elizabeth 29, Catherine 26, Jessie 24 and Jemima 22.3,8,5 She was buried on 20 Oct 1896 Beaufort Cem., Beaufort, VIC, AUS, Undertaker Richard Farley, Pres Minister, Skipton: Rev ROSE; Witness William SUTHERLAND (assumed to be her brother.)2
MigrationMargaret Sutherland immigrated cir. 1854 VIC, AUS; ?did Margaret travel with her husband to be, ie her step-uncle, or with her brothers?9
Census/Where lived/OccupationsMargaret Sutherland appeared on the census of 1841 Baderiskie, Par. of Latheron, CAI, SCT, in the household of James Sutherland.10,9,4 Margaret Sutherland and Alexander Bain lived aft. 1854 Black's Lake, nr Stockyard Hill, VIC, AUS.9 Margaret Sutherland and Alexander Bain lived in Aug 1863 Youngerahunt, Stockyard Hill, VIC, AUS.1
All the other infoMargaret Bain was ill cir. 1870 stepsister Elizabeth SUTHERLAND came from Scotland to help with the 4 children when Margaret was not well (assumed to be her pregnancy with Jemima given she was born Jan 1871, and is the 5th child.)5
|Alexander Bain (cir. Jan 1828 - Aug 1900)|
|Last Edited||22 Nov 2013|
- Certificate, Alexander BAIN (17796) & Margaret SUTHERLAND (17797) marriage of 14 Aug 1863 VIC BDM #2928 p/copy, dated 1998, held.
- BDM: VIC, AUS, 1896 death Mgt BAIN nee SUTHERLAND, p/copy recvd Sep 2001.
- Australian birth death marriage, CD Roms, Dth 1896 Margt BAIN d/o Jas SUTHERLAND & Eliz KEITCH, aged 69, Stockyard Hill, VIC, ref.15411, from VIC Fiche index 1896-1913 (1998).
- Robert S.McCutcheon, "EM Borders/CAI Corres:McCUTCHEON," e-mail to (1), Aug 2001 ex 1841 Latheron Census.
- David BAIN, "BAIN family Vic AUS from 1850s."
- Wises, VIC, AUS, fiche copies at NZ Nat Lib Jul 2001: 1888/9.
- Jamesina BAIN (17800), Birth cert., Vic BDM #1274, 1998 p/copy held by L McIntosh (15 Jan 1871).
- Barbara ODDIE, "EM BAIN/ODDIE ex Barbara ODDIE," e-mail to L McIntosh, Desc. of John BAIN tree received Aug 2002.
- Barbara TUCK, "EM SUTHERLAND, Barbara ex Barbara T," e-mail to L McIntosh (1), Rcvd Jul 2004.
- 1841 Census, CAI, SCT, Dist 1 p8 hse 37 ex MELLOR index.
- BDM: VIC, AUS, 1905 marriage Francis ODDIE/Elizabeth BAIN p/copy recvd Sep 2001.
- BDM: VIC, AUS, 1908 marriage Catherine BAIN/David TROY, p/copy recvd Sep 2001.
E. & O. E. Some/most parish records are rather hard to read and names, places hard to interpret, particularly if you are unfamiliar with an area.