(1895 - June 1926)
|Father||David Soutar2 (Feb 1841 - Oct 1924)|
|Mother||Margaret Wight2 (Jul 1852 - Apr 1931)|
|Relationship||1st cousin 2 times removed of Lorna Henderson|
BMDB dataWalter Wight Soutar was born in 1895 Cupar, FIF, SCT.3,4
Walter Wight Soutar died in Jun 1926 Pretoria, SAF; Dth notice in The Scotsman reads: At Pretoria (from effects of the war) Rev Walter Wright (sic) Soutar, beloved youngest son of the late Mr Soutar, Cupar and Mrs Soutar, Chestney Hse, St Andrews.5,2,6
Census/Where lived/OccupationsThe census of 1901 showed Charles, David and Walter and their sisters Euphemia and Elizabeth in the household of their parents David and Margaret Soutar Westfield Rd, Cupar, FIF, SCT, enumerated as SOUTAR: David 58, boot merchant b ?Panhide?, Forfar; wife Margaret 49 b Maxton, ROX; Children: Elizabeth 16 scholar b Maxton; Charles W 13; David A 10; Euphemia S 8; Walter W 6 all scholars b Cupar, FIF; Servant Helen Myles 23 b Cupar (same comment re Elizabeth, she is the niece of David and Margaret. Euphemia is really Helen Euphemia Leckie Soutar, known as Effie.)7 When father David died in 1924 Walter was living SAF.6
MilitaryBet. 1914 - 1918 Walter Wight Soutar was awarded a Victory medal and the British Star, having served in the Royal Engineers as a Pioneer (regimental # 224971.)8
All the other infoWalter attended the Bell-Baxter School, Cupar, FIF, SCT, in Oct 1913 and was 34th (of the 49 listed on that page) in the Order of Merit of the Entrance Bursary Competition for the Univeristy of Edinburgh.9
|Charts||William RICHARDSON of Pringlestead, Eckford|
RUNCIMAN of Earlston/Wanton Walls
|Last Edited||27 Dec 2005|
- The Scotsman Archive, Dth 1926 Walter Wight SOUTAR, from page 14 Fri 18th Jun 1926, extracted Dec 2005, added 2nd forename.
- David & Margaret (WIGHT) SOUTAR Photograph, 28 Jun 1907, Filed "Other children Walter WIGHT/Helen SINTON."
- Scottish BMDB entries (from 1855), http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/index.php, 1901 Census: SOUTAR Dist 420 ED? 7 Page 19 Schedule #105, copy d/loaded Jul 2005, added place, confirmed year.
- Scottish BMDB entries (from 1855), http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/index.php, Birth 1895 Walter Wight SOUTAR, index searched Dec 2005, confirmed year and place.
- The Scotsman Archive, Dth 1926 Walter Wight SOUTAR, from page 14 Fri 18th Jun 1926, extracted Dec 2005.
- Newspaper clippings, Obit David SOUTAR found amongst possessions of Amelia HARBOUR nee HENDERSON, dtr of Helen Sinton HENDERSON nee WIGHT, and neice of David and Margaret SOUTAR. Annotated "this is about Uncle David".
- Scottish BMDB entries (from 1855), http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/index.php, 1901 Census: SOUTAR Dist 420 ED? 7 Page 19 Schedule #105, copy d/loaded Jul 2005.
- National Archives UK online at http://www.documentsonline.nationalarchives.gov.uk/, Medal card of Walter Wight SOUTAR, Pioneer, Royal Engineers, copy d/loaded Dec 2005, Roll RE/101 B123 Pg26177.
- The Scotsman Archive, Entrance Bursary Competition, Order of Merit, from page 10 Tue 14th Oct 1913, extracted Dec 2005.
E. & O. E. Some/most parish records are rather hard to read and names, places hard to interpret, particularly if you are unfamiliar with an area.