(circa December 1838 - 21 July 1902)
|Father||George McAdie3,4 (cir. 1810 - Oct 1890)|
|Mother||Catherine Milligan3,4 (cir. 1808 - aft. 1871)|
BMDB dataJames McAdie was born cir. Dec 1838 Thurso, CAI, SCT, If born in Caithness, the only visible option around 1840 unaccounted for elsewhere is the James born 1838 Thurso to George & Catherine (MULICHAN) MacADIE (with them in Caithness in 1861, as a blacksmith, but nothing known thereafter as yet) And so it turned out.1,5,6,4 He was baptized on 9 Dec 1838 Thurso, CAI.3
James McAdie married Isabella McAllum on 28 Aug 1874 Knox Ch, Dunedin, OTG, NZ.1,4
James McAdie died on 21 Jul 1902 Shag Valley, OTG, NZ; Reports in Colonist, Poverty Bay Herald, Hawera & Normanby Star, Pres, Wanganui Chronicle: James McAdie, a very old settler in Shag Valley, died suddenly this morning. He leaves a widow and two children"
Dth cert. shows James as 62, farmer, last seen by doc 21st July; d. Palmerston (sic); c.o.d. angina pectoris 2 yrs syncope 6hrs; s/o George McADIE, farmer, & Catherine m.s. MULLIKIN; born Thurso, CAI, in NZ 38 yrs; marr. at age 35 to Isabella Alexander McCALLUM; Bur. Palmerston Cem. 23rd Jul; Presby. Minister; Survived by 1 son 22, 1 dtr 25; Inf. son Robert James McADIE, fireman, Westport; reg. 6th Aug.1,5,7 He was buried on 23 Jul 1902 Palmerston, OTG, NZ.4
MigrationIt is assumed that James McAdie arrived on the "Nor'wester", Port Chalmers, OTG, NZ, on 29 Jan 1863 (despite the incorect birth country) as this James: single, miner, 23, IRL, from Melbourne.8,4
Census/Where lived/OccupationsJames McAdie appeared on the census of 7 Jun 1841 Myrelandorn, Par. of Wick, CAI, SCT, in the household of George McAdie and Catherine Milligan as son of George McAdie.9 James McAdie appeared on the census of 1851 Kirk, Par. of Bower, CAI, SCT, in the household of George McAdie and Catherine Milligan as son of George.10 James McAdie appeared on the census of 1861 Kirk, Par. of Bower, CAI, in the household of George McAdie and Catherine Milligan as son of George.11 James McAdie lived bet. 1875 - 1876 Shag Valley, OTG, NZ, James McADIE, Freehold secs 79 & 81 b. 7.12
Wills/bequestsHis estate was probated on 8 Aug 1902 Dunedin, OTG, NZ; a blacksmith, will filed Dunedin Archives Agency DAAC Series 9073 Accession D239 Box 163 #4104.13
NamesIn 1838 his surname was recorded as MacAdie.3
All the other infoJames McAdie of Shag Valley, Otago and George McAdie of Ida Valley, Ophir were possibly related.14,6
|Isabella McAllum (cir. 1847 - 1905)|
|Charts||George & Isobel (MAN/MANSON) McADIE|
|Last Edited||30 Aug 2013|
- Registrations at Knox College, Marriage, Marr. 28 Aug 1874 James McADIE & Isabella McALLUM, Knox Church, Dunedin, OTG, extractedJan 2000.
- BDM: NZ historical indexes online at http://bdmhistoricalrecords.identityservices.govt.nz/Search, Birth 1880 Robert James s/o James & Isabella McADIE, ref. 1880/6966, extracted May 2013.
- MacADIE and variants: births christenings marriages, International Genealogical Index (IGI), Bap. 9 Dec 1838 James s/o George MacADIE & Catherine MULICHAN, Thurso, CAI, batch C110412.
- BDM: NZ Certificates, Dth 21 Jul 1902 James s/o George McADIE & Catherine MULLIKIN; h/o Isabella Alexander McCALLUM, Palmerston, OTG,.
- Papers Past (NZ National Library) online at http://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/, Dth 21 Jul 1902 James McADIE, old settler, Shag Valley, suddenly, widow, two children, from Colonist, Volume XLV, Issue 10467, 22 July 1902, Page 4, extracted May 2013.
- "Lorna's Family History Musings", Jun 2013.
- BDM: NZ historical indexes online at http://bdmhistoricalrecords.identityservices.govt.nz/Search, Dth 1902 James McADIE, aged 62, ref. 1902/8501, extracted May 2013.
- Assorted indexes, NZ Soc. Gen. Index, "Nor'wester" 29 Jan 1963 James McADIE, 23, single, b. IRL, miner, from Melbourne, LDS film 0284492, from Victoria (Aus) to NZ - Passengers 1852-1923, extracted May 2013.
- FreeCensus, UK online at http://www.freecen.org.uk/, Wick Dist 43/2 p1, searched Nov 2003.
- 1851 Census transcripts, Scotland, via Ancestry.com, Kirk, Bower, CAI Par. 34 ED 6 Pg 11 Sched 43 hsehold of George & Caithren McADIE, extracted Jan 2007.
- 1861 Census transcripts, Scotland, via Ancestry.com, Kirk, Bower, CAI Par. 34 ED 5 Pg 4 Sched 22 hsehold of George & Catharine McADIE, extracted Jan 2007.
- 1853+ Electoral Roll, New Zealand, 1875/6 James McADIE, Shag Valley, Waikouaiti Elect. Freehold Moeraki Dist. secs 79 & 81 b. 7, extracted Jun 2013,.
- Assorted indexes, NZ Soc. Gen. Index, Probate 8 Aug 1902 James McADIE, blacksmith, d. 21 Jul 1902 Palmserston, will filed Dn archives Agency DAAC Series 9073 Accession D239 Box 163 #4104, extracted May 2013.
- Various, "Geni", James & George McADIE of Otago, NZ, http://www.geni.com/people/George-McAdie/…, tree of Sandra HALEY, last updated Mar 2012, extracted May 2013.
- BDM: NZ historical indexes online at http://bdmhistoricalrecords.identityservices.govt.nz/Search, Birth 1877 Isabella Alexander d/o James & Isabella McADIE, ref. 1877/2879, extracted May 2013.
E. & O. E. Some/most parish records are rather hard to read and names, places hard to interpret, particularly if you are unfamiliar with an area.