(circa 1842 - January 1900)
|Father||George Hammond1 (say 1820 - )|
BMDB dataMary Jane Hammond was born cir. 1842 Sutton Montis, SOM, ENG.2 Some sources show Mary as born cir. 1845 Sutton Montis, SOM, a few years younger by 1891.3
Jane Hammond married William Tanner Selby on 16 May 1870 Par. Ch, Dist of St George Hanover Sq, LND, ENG, cert. shows William Tanner as smith of full age resid. Cirencestor, s/o Samuel (???) SELBY , labourer; Jane as spinster, of full age, resid. Eccleston ?Sth? d/o George HAMMOND, labourer; Both signed; Wit.: George & R ATRRIDES.4,1
Mary Jane Selby died in Jan 1900 Westcott Pl (67), Swindon, WIL, ENG.5 She was buried on 11 Jan 1900 Brinkworth, WIL, ENG.5
Census/Where lived/OccupationsMary Jane Hammond appeared on the census of 1871 Querns Hill Cottages, Cirencester, GLS, ENG, with William T Selby, enumerated as SELBY: William J (sic, should be T) 31 smith b. Coat(e)s, GLS; wife Jane 29 b. Sutton Montis DOR (sic); Mother: Mary 75 b. Coat(e)s, GLS; Sister: Sarah 34 b. Coat(e) GLS; Boarders: George SHEARD 24 engine fitter;b. Ottley, YKS Thomas DENNIS 20 moulder iron foundry b. Hunslett, YKS.2
Mary Jane Selby appeared on the census of 1881 Brinkworth, WIL, ENG, with William Tanner Selby, enumerated as SELBY: William T 41 blacksmith b. Coats, GLS ; wife Mary J 39 b. Sutton Montis (DOR); Children: Francis W 8, George E (dtr) 7, Eveline 5, Sidney 3, all b. Brinkworth, Wilts.7
Mary Jane Selby appeared on the census of 1891 Brinkworth, WIL, with William Tanner Selby, enumerated as SELBY: William 41 blacksmith b. Coates, GLS; wife Mary J 46 b. Sutton Montis, Dorset (sic); Children: Francis W 18 blacksmith, Eveline 15, Sydney 13, Frank 7 All b. Brinkworth, Wilts.3
NamesMary Jane Hammond was also known as Jane Hammond.2
All the other infoMary Jane Hammond is a potential duplicate of Jane Hammond; one born 1837 Sutton Montis, the dtr of George & Elizbeth (PENNY) HAMMOND, and who disappears after the 1851 census; the other born about 1842, supposedly Sutton Montis married to William SELBY in 1870 and not found prior to that date;
Birth place and father's name match, bit of date discrepancy though.6
|William Tanner Selby (cir. 1840 - bet. Sep 1891 - Dec 1891)|
|Last Edited||22 Nov 2017|
- Westminster Archibes: , Marr. 16 May 1870 William Tanner s/o Charles SELBY; Jane d/o George HAMMOND, Par. Ch, St Geo Hanover Sq, MDX, extracted Oct 2017.
- 1871 Census images, England & Wales, via Ancestry.com, Town/Sub Dist/Dist Cirencester, GLS, RG10; Piece: 2646; Folio: 176; Page: 30; Sched.181; hsehold of William J (as indexed/enumerated, actually T) & Jane SELBY, extracted Oct 2017.
- 1891 Census images, England & Wales, via Ancestry.com, Brinkworth Dist. Malmesbury, WIL RG12 /1589 Folio 73 Page 5 Sched. 26 , hsehold of William T & Mary J SELBY, extracted Oct 2017.
- Birth death marriage index (St Caths), via Ancestry/FMP, Marr. 1870 Q2 William Tanner SELBY & Jane HAMMOND, St George Hanover Sq (LND), 1a/494, extracted Oct 2017.
- Parish Registers: Wiltshire, England (published), Bur. 11 Jan 1900 Mary Jane SELBY, aged 57, resid. 67 Westcott Pl, Swindon bur. Brinkworth, WIL, extracted Oct 2017.
- "Lorna's Family History Musings", Oct 2017.
- 1881 Census images, England & Wales, via Ancestry.com, Par. Brinkworth Dist. Malmesbury, WIL RG11/2026 Folio 4 Page 2 Sched. 11, hsehold of William T & Mary J SELBY, extracted Oct 2017.
E. & O. E. Some/most parish records are rather hard to read and names, places hard to interpret, particularly if you are unfamiliar with an area.