(say 1789 - after 1851)
|Father||Archibald Fairbairn (say 1760 - bet. 1800 - 1841); originally a potential relationship based on, possible, naming pattern, and Napanee connections, now reinforced by atDNA matches between descendants of both Robert and of his assumed siblings James, David and Walter2|
|Mother||Alison Crosser2 (say 1760 - bet. 1800 - 1841)|
|Relationship||4th great-uncle of Lorna Henderson|
BMDB dataSome sources show Robert as born cir. 1786 SCT but if Robert fits in the family of Archibald and Alison he has to be younger given slots are already filled for 1783, 1785 and 1787.3,4
Robert Fairbairn was born say 1789 ?BEW, SCT.4
Robert Fairbairn married Kate Scott say 1815 SCT date assumes marries shortly before "oldest child" Elizabeth.5,6
Robert Fairbairn died aft. 1851 ?Richmond, Lennox & Addington Co., ONT, CAN.1
MigrationRobert Fairbairn and Kate Scott immigrated in 1828 to nr Selby, Lennox & Addington Co., ONT, CAN; entry reads: FAIRBAIRN: Robert b ca 1786. To ONT ca 1828; stld nr Selby, Lennox & Addington Co ch incl: William, James, Robert, Elizabeth, Jane, Alison qv OGF15,115 (where qv refers to Alison marrying David FITCHETT);
Additional info has Elizabeth marrying William GRIEVE in ONT, emigrating c 1828 as well, and separate information for the chap I believe is son William has him emigrating 1826 (1901 census), and his obit says at age 10, with parents (which implies 1827 given age at death, but as other info gives him an 1820 birthdate, he may have been younger) Additionally, information in William's obit says that his family firstly went to Bytown (Quebec), which just happens to be where William and David Fairbairn were from the early 1810s, William being a proven relation via the Fairbairn surname dna project
I've subsequently found that Kate died at sea crossing the Atlantic.5,6,12,11
Census/Where lived/OccupationsRobert Fairbairn appeared on the census of 1851 on the 6th, 7th, 8th Concession, Richmond Twp, Lennox Co., ONT, CAN, enumerated as FAIRBAIRN: Robt labourer 22 Sr (sic); Robt Jr (sic) gentleman 65; Esther 22 All b SCT; Robt 11 b USA; Archd b C West 9 All Presby;
(these are neighbouring entries, conjecture as to how they relate to each other):
The immediate previous entry is the family of Robert's dtr Elizabeth with husband William Grieve and family (Esther 7, Geo 5, Robt 3, Minto 2); It does rather look like they are all living in the Grieve's tavern as the next building listed is the frame house of the carriage maker, Abraham Fraser. A prior entry is that of William and Catherine (Morgan) Fairbairn, who looks likely to be the William known to exist as a son of Robert.1,12
All the other infoRobert outlived his wife Kate Fairbairn who died cir. 1828 while they were crossing the Atlantic, presumably leaving Robert with a very young family to care for in his new country, the eldest dtr Elizabeth would be about 13, the youngest son Robert a babe in arms.11 Another possible relation for Robert was Archibald Fairbairn Richmond, Lennox Co., ONT, CAN, in 1851 ?another grdfather/son?12
External linksClick here to see Robert's page on WikiTree, a (free) collaborative on-line tree.14
|Kate Scott (say 1786 - cir. 1828)|
John & Bessie (FFLINT) FAIRBAIRN
Ancestors & siblings of Les Henderson
|Last Edited||29 Dec 2018|
- Census image, Canada, via Ancestry.com, 1851 Richmond, Lennox Co, ONT, hsehold of Robt FAIRBAIRN, extracted Jun 2008.
- Lorna Henderson, "FAIRBAIRN Analysis", Jul 2008, updated Jan 2015.
- 1851/2 Census images, Canada, via Ancestry.com, 1851/2 Richmond, Lennox Co, ONT, hsehold of Robt FAIRBAIRN, extracted Jun 2008.
- Lorna Henderson, "FAIRBAIRN Analysis", Dec 2018.
- F-5 FAIRBAIRN, "EM FAIRBAIRN/SINTON Yetholm ex Scott F," e-mail to L Henderson (1), Robert FAIRBAIRN, 1828, Scottish Emigration to Canada pre-Confederation, rcvd Jul 2008.
- GenForum online at http://www.genforum.genealogy.com/my/, Family of William GRIEVE and Elizabeth (Bessie) FAIRBAIRN, Richmond, ONT, posted Aug 2000 by Bonnie HURSH (email no longer current), extracted Jul 2008.
- Lorna Henderson, "FAIRBAIRN Analysis", Jul 2008, updated Jan & Feb 2015, then Dec 2018.
- Www FAIRBAIRN searches and miscellaneous correspondence by LornaHen (1) "History of Chickasaw and Howard Counties" by Robert Herd FAIRBAIRN, pub. 1919 Synopsis of pages 497-9, as shown on IAGenWeb (http://iagenweb.org/chickasaw/biographies/faces1919f.htm), extracted Jun 2008.
- Ancestry.com online at http://search.ancestry.com, Obit 8 Mar 1916 Esther LEE nee FAIRBURN, "Waushara Argus", from tree of miket6m4n8u, extracted May 2008.
- Online search: assorted surnames, International Genealogical Index (IGI), 1881 Census: Napanee Town, Lennox, ONT, FHL Film 1375872 NA Film C-13236 Dist117 Sub-dist G Pg 57 Hsehold 280, Wm GREIVE (sic), extracted Jul 2008.
- Rootsweb Msge Board online at http://boards.rootsweb.com, Dth (c. 1828) Kate FAIRBAIRN nee SCOTT, at sea (Atlantic), from GRIEVE board posting, Aug 2000 by Bonnie HURSH, extracted Jul 2008.
- Lorna Henderson, "FAIRBAIRN Analysis", Jul 2008.
- Lorna Henderson, "FAIRBAIRN Analysis", Jan & Feb 2015, updated Dec 2018.
- WikiTree online at http://WikiTree.com/, Oct 2011.
- Ancestry.com online at http://search.ancestry.com, Marr. 28 Jun 1864 Robert FAIRBAIRN & Clarinda HAM, FHL Film 1030060 Lennox & Addington Co, ONT, extracted Jul 2008, (marr. index transcript shows Robert as son of J & M FAIRBAIRN, I've not seen the original, but am beginning to doubt it).
E. & O. E. Some/most parish records are rather hard to read and names, places hard to interpret, particularly if you are unfamiliar with an area.