(1872 - 14 April 1889)
|Father||James R Richardson2,3 (Sep 1826 - Jul 1902)|
|Mother||Elizabeth McCulloch2 (cir. 1835 - Sep 1881)|
|Relationship||2nd cousin 3 times removed of Lorna Henderson|
BMDB dataWilliam McCulloch Richardson was born in 1872 reg. Oamaru, OTG, NZ.1
William McCulloch Richardson died on 14 Apr 1889 Prince Alfred Hosp., Sydney, NSW, AUS; my original estimate of "between 1888 and 1902, in Oamaru", despite not finding him in the death indexes, was from an assumption that aunt Catherine wasn't leaving money to a dead nephew, and father James' dth cert didn't forget to list him.
Subsequently found, thanks to a hint from Lesley, to be in Sydney 1889, and reported in the Hobart paper (18th Apr): An accident, resulting in the death of a youth named William Richardson, aged 16 years, happened on Saturday. Deceased was riding on the outside of an omnibus, when the harness on one of the horses became disarranged, and while the driver was in the act of adjusting it the animal becoming frightened backed the vehicle under a verandah, with the result that Richardson was crushed between it and one of the posts. He was removed to the Prince Alfred Hospital, where he lingered until shortly after noon to-day." (14th was the Sunday.)4,5,6,2,1,7,8
Wills/bequestsThe will of Catherine Peacock (registered Sheriff Ct, Edinburgh, MLN, SCT, on 21 Nov 1890) named nieces and nephews as beneficiaries including William Richardson. The executors & trustees names were siblings Thomas Russell Richardson, Margaret Richardson and Jean Richardson. James R Richardson was also named as a beneficiary of his sibling. The will also mentioned Adam Peacock, David Scott and Helen Turnbull.9
|Charts||William RICHARDSON of Pringlestead, Eckford|
RUNCIMAN of Earlston/Wanton Walls
|Last Edited||1 Dec 2010|
- NZ births deaths marriages (index on fiche), Birth 1872 William McCulloch RICHARDSON, folio 1189, reg. Oamaru extracted Jun 2007.
- PEACOCK, Catherine, Will 1890, Edin Sheriff Court (written 26 Sep 1888, proved 12 Dec 1890) SC70/4/249: Copy d/loaded Jun 2007.
- Ian Woonton, "EM: WOONTON, Ian (RICHARDSON desc.)," e-mail to Lorna Henderson, Written recollections (1979) of Marguerite WOONTON, b. 1897, dtr of Jane RICHARDSON, rcvd Jul 2007, "The family of James & Bessie RICHARDSON comprised James, Jane, Robert, Thomas, Andrew William Alexander, William, Margaret and Katie."
- Interview, Lesley ANDERSON, Dth 14 Apr 1889 William McCulloch RICHARDSON, bus accident Sydney, aged 17, s/o James RICHARDSON, from North Otago Museum death notice index, and Hobart newspaper report 18th Apr 1889, verbal information rcvd Nov 2010.
- Newspaper clippings, Dth noon 14 Apr 1889 William RICHARDSON, aged 16, omnibus accident, Sydney, from The Mercury (Hobart, Tas. : 1860-1954), Thu 18 Apr 1889, quoting Sydney Apr 14th, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article9210595, extracted Nov 2010.
- BDM: NZ Certificates, Dth 1902 James RICHARDSON, reg. Oamaru, folio #2033, printout rcvd Jul 2007.
- Ian Woonton, "EM: WOONTON, Ian (RICHARDSON desc.)," e-mail to Lorna Henderson, Dth William RICHARDSON, NZ, rcvd Jul 2007.
- Ancestry.com online at http://search.ancestry.com, Dth 1889 William s/o James & Bessie RICHARDSON, reg. Newtown, NSW #4163, from Australia Death Index, 1787-1985, extracted Nov 2010.
- PEACOCK, Catherine, Will 1890, Edin Sheriff Court (written 26 Sep 1888, proved 12 Dec 1890) SC70/4/249: Registration 21 Nov 1890, Edinburgh Sheriff Court, copy d/loaded Jun 2007.
E. & O. E. Some/most parish records are rather hard to read and names, places hard to interpret, particularly if you are unfamiliar with an area.