(4 February 1846 - 14 December 1909)
|Father||James Metherall1,2 (cir. 1812 - aft. 1851)|
|Mother||Ann Helson1,2 (cir. Jun 1814 - Oct 1853)|
|Relationship||3rd cousin 3 times removed of Lorna Henderson|
BMDB dataMoses Metherall was born on 4 Feb 1846 Broadwoodwidger, Lifton, Dist of Tavistock, DEV, ENG.1,3,2 Some sources show Moses as born on 12 Nov 1846 ENG (from the 1901 census) but it has to be wrong as his birth was reg. in March qtr.4 He married Mary Jane Payne on 15 Jun 1880 Peterborough, Peterborough Co., ONT, CAN; cert. shows Moses as 33 b England to James and Ann Metherell and Mary Jane, 31 b Ontario to David & Elizabeth Payne.5
Moses Metherall died on 14 Dec 1909 Little Britain, Victoria Cty, ONT, CAN; the cert showing Moses was born Feb 4 1846 at Broadwoodwidger, DEV; Died aged 63 yrs 10 mths 10 days of diabetes of several years; by occupation a Minister; s/o James Metherell and Ann Helson, both b DEV; Inf. Annie Caroline Metherell, of Little Britain (later found to be his dtr).2
MigrationAccording to the census of 1901 Moses Metherall immigrated to ONT, CAN, in 1866 which should mean he was enumerated in the 1861 English census. Where?4
Census/Where lived/OccupationsThe census of 1851 showed Seth, Aaron, Moses and Levi and their sisters Rachael and Charlotte in the household of their parents James and Ann Helson West Week Moor, Merry Meet, Lifton, DEV, ENG, enumerated as METHERELL: James 39 farm lab b Halwill; wife Ann 36 b Germansweek; Children: Rachael 11 scholar, Seth 9, Aaron 7 scholar, all b Broadwoodwidger; Moses 5, Charlotte 2, Levi 1 all b Lifton; Neighbour Elizabeth HELSON widow 70 landed proprietor b Bratton Clovelly (Ann's mother.)1
Moses Metherall appeared on the census of 1871 Mariposa, Victoria Sth, ONT, CAN, enumerated as Moses METHERELL, 23 shoemaker b ENG religion Bible Christian (head of hsehold apparently has a different surname, but I don't know what, and there are no HELSONs listed as Bible Christians in Mariposa.)6
The census of 1901 showed Moses with his wife Mary, their dtr Annie in the Village of Hilton, Brighton, Northumberland East Co., ONT, CAN, household enumerated as METHERELL: Moses 55 b ENG 12 Nov 1846 emig 1866, Meth. minister; wife Mary Jane 52 b ONT 24 Oct 1848; Dtr Annie C 19 b ONT 8 Sep 1881.4
All the other infoBob, researching his house in Week St Mary, has brought to my attention that this Moses was a Bible Christian Minister, so I dug around a little. Many of his siblings emigrated to Ontario in the mid 1850s, but at least one sister seems to have remained in England.7 Moses Metherall was a witness to the marriage of his brother Elias Metherell to Elizabeth Mark on 10 Feb 1872 Lindsay, Victoria Co., ONT, CAN.8
|Mary Jane Payne (Oct 1848 - aft. 1901)|
|Last Edited||20 Feb 2007|
- 1851 Census (images for ENG, transcriptions for SCT), UK, via Ancestry.com, Lifton, Sub Dist Milton Dist of Tavistock DEV HO107/1884 ED 4d Sched 11, hsehold of James & Ann METHERELL, extracted Jan 2007.
- Ancestry.com online at http://search.ancestry.com, Dth 1909 Moses METHERALL, reg. Mariposa, Victoria Cty, ONT, #029399, Roll: MS935_149, extracted Jan 2007.
- Www FreeBMD ENG online at http://freebmd.rootsweb.com/cgi/search.pl, Birth 1846 Moses METHERELL, reg. Tavistock Mar qtr 9/5_5, extracted Jan 2007.
- Census image, Canada, via Ancestry.com, 1901: Brighton, Northumberland East, ONT, Dist 95, Sub Dist Brighton A-3, Famiy 136 Pg 12 hsehold of Moses and Mary Jane METHERELL, extracted Jan 2007.
- Ancestry.com online at http://search.ancestry.com, Marr. 1880 Moses METHERALL & May Jane PAYNE, reg. Peterborough, Peterborough Cty, ONT, extracted Jan 2007.
- Census image, Canada, via Ancestry.com, 1871 Mariposa, Victoria Sth, ONT Div 3 M'film roll C-9980 Pg 59, hsehold of ?
- "Lorna's Family History Musings", Jan 2007.
- Ancestry.com online at http://search.ancestry.com, Marr. 1872 Elias METHERALL & Elizabeth MARK, reg. Lindsay, Victoria Cty, ONT, extracted Jan 2007.
- Ancestry.com online at http://search.ancestry.com, Birth 1881 Annie Caroline to Moses METHERALL & Mary Jane PAYNE, reg. Victoria Cty, ONT, Roll MS929_51, extracted Jan 2007.
E. & O. E. Some/most parish records are rather hard to read and names, places hard to interpret, particularly if you are unfamiliar with an area.