(between September 1846 and December 1846 - between September 1918 and 9 December 1918)
|Father||Rev Robert Turnbull1,2,3 (cir. Mar 1812 - Feb 1877)|
|Mother||Louisa Philipine Maes1 (cir. 1813 - Mar 1897)|
|Relationship||1st cousin 3 times removed of Lorna Henderson|
BMDB dataEllen Turnbull was born bet. Sep 1846 - Dec 1846 Cambridge, CAM, ENG.4,1
Ellen Turnbull married Frederick Richard T Bolton, son of Frederick Samuel Bolton and Mary Ann Rowley, on 27 Dec 1883 West Kirby, Dist of Wirral, CHS, ENG, Banns read 9, 16, 23 Dec.5,3,6
Ellen Bolton died bet. Sep 1918 - 9 Dec 1918 West Kirby, Dist of Wirral, CHS; aged 71.7,8,9
Census/Where lived/OccupationsThe census of 1851 showed Louisa, Sarah and Ellen in the household of their parents Robert and Louisa P Turnbull Whitchurch, SAL, ENG, enumerated as TURNBULL: Robert head, 39, Curate of Whitchurch (BA?) b Kirk Andrews, CUL; wife Louisa P, 38 b France; Dtrs: Louisa M A 5, Ellen 4 both b Cambridge; Sarah 1 b Keighly, Yorkshire; Servant Martha ?Kort? 18 b Whitchurch.11
The census of 7 Apr 1861 showed Louisa, Ellen, Sarah and Edith and their brothers Robert and Walter in the household of their parents Robert and Louisa Philipine Turnbull in the Vicarage, Wybunbury, Dist of Nantwich, CHS, ENG, enumerated as TURNBULL: Robert, head, 49 Vicar Wybunbury b Kirk on Esk, Cumberland; wife Louisa Philippine 48 b Dou?? France; Children (all scholars): Louisa Mary Ann 15; Ellen 14, both b Cambridge; Sarah 11 b Keighley, Yorkshire; Robert 9; Edith 7; Walter 5 all b Whitchurch, Shropshire.2 Ellen Turnbull appeared on the census of 7 Apr 1871 at Wybunbury, Cheshire, in the household of Robert Turnbull and Louisa P Turnbull as daughter of Robert.1
Ellen Turnbull appeared on the census of 1881 in the School House, Caldy, Par. of West Kirby, CHS, ENG, with Sarah Turnbull, enumerated as TURNBULL: Ellen, head, teacher, unm, 34, b Cambridge; Sister Sarah, school mistress unm 31 b Keighley, York. Servant Elisabeth Powell, 20 dom serv b Acre Fair Denbigh, WLS.12
The census of 5 Apr 1891 showed Ellen with her husband Frederick Braeside School, Kirby Park, West Kirby, CHS, ENG, household enumerated as BOLTON: Frederick R J, 39 schoolmaster b Salt STF; wife Ellen 44 b Cambridge plus assorted tutors, visitors (H M Wade, 7 K Wade 11 both females b Rock Ferry, CHS) and boarders.13
The census of 1901 showed Ellen Bolton in the household of Walter and Rosetta Turnbull 73 Trinity Rd, Handsworth, STS, ENG, enumerated as TURNBULL: Walter M, head, 45 Railway Superintendent, worker, b Whitchurch, Shrophsire; wife Rosetta 44 b Liverpool, LAN; Children (both b Frodsham): Eric M 13; Douglas 10. Visitor: Kate BARTON 20, single b Colton STS. Servant Ellen Bolton 54 b CAM (Walter and Ellen are siblings, Ellen now being a widow even though she is shown as single.)14
Ellen Bolton appeared on the census of 1911 11 Princes Ave, West Kirby, Dist of Wirral, CHS, ENG, enumerated as BOLTON: Ellen 64 widow private means, b Cambridge no children; Servants: LOVELL, MANN.15
Wills/bequestsOn 1 Feb 1886 Ellen was the sole beneficiary to the will of her husband Frederick Richard Thomas Bolton Braeside, Kirby Park, West Kirby, CHS, ENG.16,17 Ellen Bolton was confirmed as executor of the estate of Frederick Richard Thomas Bolton on 30 Oct 1896 Chester, CHS, ENG.16
Ellen Bolton Braeside, West Kirby, CHS, ENG, wrote a will on 15 Feb 1897 appointing Robert Turnbull and Walter Rowley Bolton as executor(s) leaving the residue of her estate to be divided equally between her sisters Edith Turnbull and Mabel Moore Turnbull and specific legacies to Louisa R Turnbull and Walter Turnbull At the time she described herself as a widow and was expecting to become entitled to property on the death of her mother-in-law Mary Anne Bolton, such property so inherited to be divided equally between her (Mary Anne's) sons Walter Rowley Bolton, Reginald Cotton Bolton, and son-in-law Richard Cotton or any of their children that may survive them. The Trustees to have the final decision as to the division should any dispute arise. The remainder of her estate "real and personal" was to pay the following legacies: £40 to her mother; £30 each to her brothers Walter and Robert Turnbull, and £10 to her brother-in-law Walter Rowley Bolton and the remainder of her estate to be held in trust for her sisters Edith and Mabel Turnbull "in equal moieties" or for the survivor of the two (from this I assume that sister Sarah had died by 1897.)7,18,19 Her estate was probated on 9 Dec 1918 Chester, CHS; to Sir Robert Turnbull and Walter Rowley Bolton, the executors.7
|Frederick Richard Thomas Bolton (bet. Mar 1852 - Jun 1852 - bet. Jun 1896 - Sep 1896)|
|Last Edited||31 Dec 2015|
- 1871 Census images, England & Wales, via Ancestry.com, Wybunbury, Cheshire RG10/3711 Dist 34 Folio ? Page 24 Schedule #119, hsehold of Robert and Louisa TURNBULL, extracted Jan 2005.
- 1861 Census, ENG, Wybunbury, CHS RG9/2617 Page 2 Schedule #10, hsehold of Robert & Louisa Philippine TURNBULL, p/copied Mar 2005.
- FamilySearch Labs Record Search (LDS) online at http://search.labs.familysearch.org/recordsearch/, Marr. 27 Dec 1883 Ellen d/o Robert TURNBULL & Frederick Richard Thomas s/o Frederick Samuel BOLTON, West Kirby, CHS, from Cheshire Parish Registers, 1538 - 2000, film 2106690, dig. folder 4019045 image 64, extracted Aug 2010.
- Www FreeBMD ENG online at http://freebmd.rootsweb.com/cgi/search.pl, Birth 1846 Ellen TURNBULL, reg. Cambridge Dec qtr 14/13, extracted Feb 2005.
- Www FreeBMD ENG online at http://freebmd.rootsweb.com/cgi/search.pl, Marr. 1883 Frederick Richard T BOLTON and Ellen TURNBULL, reg Wirral, CHS Dec qtr 81/666a, extracted Jul 2005.
- Findmypast online at http://www.findmypast.com, Banns 9,16,23 Dec 183 Ellen TURNBULL & Frederick Richard Thomas BOLTON, b.o.t.p. Cheshire, ENG, from Diocese of Chester parish registers of marriages c1538-1910 Transcription, extracted Jun 2014.
- Cheshire Records Office online at http://cheshire.gov.uk/, Will 1897 Ellen BOLTON nee TURNBULL, probated 1918, copy rcvd Feb 2006, MF91/65, WR59 P723.
- Www FreeBMD ENG online at http://freebmd.rootsweb.com/cgi/search.pl, Via Ancestry: Dth 1918 Ellen BOLTON, reg. Wirral Dec qtr 8a/941, extracted Feb 2006.
- 1901 Census (images for ENG, transcriptions for SCT), UK, Via Ancestry.com, Handsworth, STS Dist 36 RG13/2713 Folio 60 Page 9 Schedule 54, hsehold of Walter & Rosetta TURNBULL, extracted Feb 2005.
- TURNBULL: misc. www & corres. Frederick Richard Thomas & Ellen (TURNBULL) BOLTON, St Bridget's Church, West Kirby, from Heather, West Kirby Museum, rcvd Dec 2015.
- 1851 Census images, England & Wales, via Ancestry.com, Whitchurch, Shropshire Dist 1h HO107/1995 Reg. Dist Wern Folio 588 Page 15 Schedule #58, hsehold of Robert & Louisa TURNBULL, copy d/loaded Oct 2005.
- 1881 Census transcripts, UK, via Family Search/LDS CDs, FHL Film 1341855 PRO Ref RG11 Piece 3572 Folio 83 Page 17, extracted Feb 2005.
- 1891 Census images, England & Wales, via Ancestry.com, West Kirby Dist 5 RG12/2876 Folio 82 Page 45 Schedule #233, hsehold of Frederick & Ellen BOLTON, d/loaded Jul 2005.
- 1901 Census images, England & Wales, via Ancestry.com, Handsworth, STS Dist 36 RG13/2713 Folio 60 Page 9 Schedule 54, hsehold of Walter & Rosetta TURNBULL, extracted Feb 2005.
- 1911 Census images, ENG, http://www.findmypast.co.uk/CensusPersonStartSearchServlet , http://ancestry.com, Par. of Hoylake cum West Kirby, Sub Dist Woodchurch, Dist Wirral, CHS, RG14PN21953 RG78PN1307 RD451 SD4 ED12 SN250, hsehold of Ellen BOLTON, extracted Aug 2011.
- Cheshire Records Office online at http://cheshire.gov.uk/, Will 1886 Frederick Richard Thomas BOLTON, probated 1896, copy rcvd Feb 2006, MF91/48, WR37 P643.
- Cheshire Records Office online at http://cheshire.gov.uk/, Wills db 1896 Frederick Richard BOLTON, index searched Feb 2006, MF91/48, WR37 P643.
- Cheshire Records Office online at http://cheshire.gov.uk/, Wills db 1918 Ellen BOLTON, index searched Feb 2006, MF91/65, WR59 P723.
- "Lorna's Family History Musings", Feb 2006.
E. & O. E. Some/most parish records are rather hard to read and names, places hard to interpret, particularly if you are unfamiliar with an area.