Henrietta Grace Dawe1
(1 October 1869 - after 1911)
|Father||Henry Dawe2 (Oct 1819 - Dec 1899)|
|Mother||Sarah Creber2 (cir. Jul 1826 - Dec 1899)|
|Relationship||5th cousin 2 times removed of Lorna Henderson|
BMDB dataHenrietta Grace Dawe was born on 1 Oct 1869 Clannicombe, Par. of Newton Ferrers, DEV, ENG, birth being reg. in Plympton.3,1,4 She was baptized on 3 Nov 1869 in the Par. of Newton Ferrers, DEV, ENG; entry shows Henrietta Grace as born 1 Oct to Henry (Yeoman) & Sarah DAWE, of Clannicombe, Par. of Newton Ferrers, DEV.4
Henrietta Grace Dawe died aft. 1911 ?Elburton, DEV, ENG; neither dth nor marriage yet being found (and Elburton is a place in its own right, not a corruption of Hele Barton, which I originally thought it might be.)3
Census/Where lived/OccupationsHenrietta Dawe appeared on the census of 7 Apr 1871 Dunstone, Par. of Yealmpton, DEV, ENG, as a visitor to Joseph Dawe.5
The census of 3 Apr 1881 showed Henrietta, Elizabeth, Isabella and Annie and their brothers Sampson and Walter in the household of their parents Henry and Sarah Creber, their maternal grandmother Grace Spurr Clannicombe Farm, Newton Ferrers, DEV, ENG, enumerated as DAWE: Henry, 60, head, Farmer 135 Acres 1 Man 2 Boys, b Yealmpton (sic), DEV; wife Sarah, 52, b Whitechurch, DEV; Children: Elizabeth, 30; Sampson, 25; both b Stoke Fleming, DEV; Walter, 22; Isabella, 21; Annie, 16; Hennetta Grace, 11, all b Newton Ferrers, DEV; Mother-in-law Grace Spurr, widow, 88, b Bickleigh. Servants: Margaret Tope, 14, b Newton Ferrers; Richard Lyndon, 14 b Holbeton, DEV; Henry Old, 13, b St Austell, CON.2
The census of 1891 showed Henrietta G Dawe in the household of her cousin Walter King Hele Barton, Village of Roborough, Par. of Bickleigh, DEV, ENG, enumerated as KING (all b Walkhampton): Walter, 62, head, widower, farmer; Children: John, widower, 32, farmer; James, 23 farmer; Sarah A, 30; Mary E, 29; Emma, 18; Cousin:Henrietta G Dawe, 21, b Newton Ferrers. Servants: Richard Ford, 19, b Newton Abbot; Frederick Reddicks? 18, b Stowford, DEV; Annie Thomas, 17, b Camborne, CON.3
The census of 31 Mar 1901 showed Elizabeth, Henrietta and Annie with their brother Walter Dawe Elburton, Par. of St Mary & All Saints, Plymstock, DEV, ENG, enumerated as DAWE: Walter, head, 42, single, b Newton Ferrers; Siblings: Elizabeth, 50 housekeeper, b Stoke Fleming; Henrietta G, 30 assistant housekeeper, b Newton Ferrers; Annie, 26 b Newton Ferrers; Neice: Annie I Maddick, 13, b Plymstock; Visitor Alice S Dawe, 3 b Devonport; Servants: Nathanial G Shillabeer, 18 horseman on farm; Sam, Shillabeer, 15, ag lab, cattle both b Plymstock.6 Henrietta Grace Dawe appeared on the census of 1911 Stert Farm, Elburton, Dist of Plympton St Mary, DEV, ENG, in the household of Walter Dawe as sister of Walter.7
All the other infoHenrietta Grace Dawe and Walter King are related as cousins, or so the 1891 census tells us. I have been trying to determine how come, even in the loose definition of the term commonly used in older data. Given the several Rowe/Dawe connections, I had originally assumed it would be in those trees somewhere, even though I couldn't place Henry and Sarah Dawe at all. My theory, as at Feb 2006, was that Henrietta's grandmother might just happen to be Mary Dawe nee King and that this Mary King just might happen to be the sister of Walter's grandfather Walter. As Mary turned out to be a Mary King I then assumed that the Mary King who married Henry Dawe in Buckland Monachorum in 1816 is the sister of the Walter King, grdfather of Walter at Hele, which made this Henrietta and Walter 1st cousins once removed. And turned my attention to seeing if Henrietta's maternal grandmother, a Grace King, was any connection. All of which was overturned by my research in Devon in Aug 2006. Yes Henrietta's grandmother was Mary King, but this Mary was the dtr of Walter King and Margaret Willcock, not the dtr of James Barter King and Sarah Pike. All was not lost however. This particular Mary turned out to be the sister of Sarah King, the one who married Walter King, son of James Barter. Grace may yet prove to be related, as I still suspect she is a sister of Mary and Sarah.3,8,9
|Charts||Sampson & Joan (BLANCHARD) DAWE of Buckland Monachorum, (DEV) |
John & Margaret (GILES) CREBER
|Last Edited||27 Nov 2012|
- Www FreeBMD ENG online at http://freebmd.rootsweb.com/cgi/search.pl, (Via Ancestry images) Birth 1869 Henrietta Grace DAWE, reg. Plympton Dec qtr 5b/221, extracted Feb 2006.
- 1881 Census transcripts, UK, via Family Search/LDS CDs, FHL Film 1341526 PRO Ref RG11 Piece 2185 Folio 53 Page 2, extracted Oct 2004.
- 1891 Census images, England & Wales, via Ancestry.com, Devon RG12/1724, Bickleigh, Folio 9 page 11 entry #67, hsehold of Walter KING, extracted Oct 2004.
- Findmypast online at http://www.findmypast.com, Birth 1 Oct Bap. 3 Nov 1869 Henrietta Grace d/o Henry (Yeoman) & Sarah DAWE, of Clannicombe, Par. of Newton Ferrers, DEV, from Plymouth & West Devon Record Office Collection, extracted from image Nov 2012.
- 1871 Census images, England & Wales, via Ancestry.com, Yealmpton, DEV: RG10/2107 EnumDist 15 Folio 37 Page 7 schedule #26, hsehold of Joseph DAWE, extracted Oct 2004.
- 1901 Census images, England & Wales, via Ancestry.com, Elburton, Par. of St Mary and Plymstock, Devon RG13/2085 Folio 38 Page 19 Entry #88, hsehold of Walter DAWE, extracted Oct 2004.
- 1911 Census images, ENG, http://www.findmypast.co.uk/CensusPersonStartSearchServlet , http://ancestry.com, Elburton, Sub Dist Yealmpton, Dist Plympton St Mary, DEV, RG14; Piece: 12908; Sched: 160; hsehold of Walter DAWE, extracted Nov 2012.
- "Lorna's Family History Musings", Feb & Aug 2006.
- Baptims marriages burials index: Buckland Monachorum, DEV, Marr. 1816 Henry DAWE and Mary KING, extracted Feb 2006 (Baps 1813-1839 Marr 1754-1837 Burials 1813-1837), Deanery of Tamerton CD.
E. & O. E. Some/most parish records are rather hard to read and names, places hard to interpret, particularly if you are unfamiliar with an area.