(circa March 1799 - 4 November 1872)
|Father||Charles Wines1 (cir. Aug 1753 - )|
|Mother||Susanna Masters1 (say 1760 - )|
BMDB dataGaius Wines was born cir. Mar 1799 Sth Petherton, SOM, ENG.1 He was baptized on 14 Mar 1799 Old Meeting, Presb., Sth Petherton, SOM, ENG.1
Gaius Wines married Elizabeth Mathews on 25 Aug 1818 Sth Petherton, SOM.2
Gaius Wines married Hannah Wines, daughter of James Wines and Hannah Clark, on 24 Mar 1825 Sth Petherton, SOM.3
Gaius Wines died on 4 Nov 1872 Sth Petherton, SOM; Entry in Independent records reads: 1872 Gauis Wines Nov 9th, died Nov 4th aged 78". St Caths transcript has dth as reg. Yeovil, qtr 4, 5c/319.4,5 He was buried on 9 Nov 1872 Sth Petherton, SOM.4
Census/Where lived/OccupationsGaius Wines appeared on the census of 1841 Sth Harp, Par. of Sth Petherton, SOM, ENG, with Hannah Wines, as WINES: Gaius, 45 lab; Hannah 30; Susan 13; Sampson 11; Sarah 9; Ann 7; Robert 4 all b Cty (NB enumerators were instructed to round ages down to the nearest multiple of 5.)6
Gaius Wines appeared on the census of 1851 Sth Harp, Sth Petherton, SOM, ENG, with Hannah Wines, enumerated as WINES (all b Sth Petherton, indexed on Ancestry as WINER): Gaius, 50 ag lab; wife Hannah, 50; Children: Susan 23, Ann 15 both glovers; Robert 13 ag lab; Ellen 5.7
Gaius Wines appeared on the census of 1861 Southarp, Sth Petherton, Dist of Yeovil, SOM, ENG, with Hannah Wines, enumerated as WINES (all b Sth Petherton): Gaius, head, 66 farm lab; wife Hannah 60; Dtrs: Susan 30 sewer of kid gloves; Sarah 26 dressmaker; Ellen 15 sewer of kid gloves.8 Gaius Wines was a husbandman in Dec 1869 Sth Petherton, SOM, ENG.9
Gaius Wines appeared on the census of 1871 on Moor Ln, Sth Petherton, Dist of Yeovil, SOM, ENG, with Hannah Wines, enumerated as WINES (all b Sth Petherton): Gaius (indexed as James) 75 labourer; wife Hannah 70; Dtrs: Susan ALD, widow, 40 needlewoman; Sarah (ditto, so indexed as ALD) unm, 34 dressmaker (next entry was for West St, maps show a Moor Ln running into West St.)10
Wills/bequestsGaius Wines left a will on 10 Dec 1869 Sth Petherton, SOM, ENG, Last will and testament of me Gaius Wines of Sth Petherton husbandman..bequeath unto Josiah Hebditch of Sourharp in par of Sh Petherton upon trust to permit my wife Hannah Wines to have her use..and on her decease divide between my four daughters: Susan Old, Sarah Wines, Ann Spratt, the wife of James Spratt and Ellen Wines. As to my Close of land called Tibleys Close in Sth Peth...to my 4 dtrs as tenants in common"and as I assisted all my sons when they emigrated to Australia I have not further provided for them by this my will but my desire is that if my son Robert shall return to England within 5 years after my said dtrs shall have come into possession of my said property he shall receive the sum of ten pounds ..contributed and paid equally by my said daughters and that if either of my sons James and Sampson shall return to England within the like period then I wish him to have the sum of five pounds paid in like manner.
Will dated 10 Dec 1869 signed X mark of Gaius WINES.9 His estate was probated on 21 Feb 1873 SOM, ENG; Probate of the will of Mr Gaius Wines deced received 21 Feb 1873, reg no 1419W. Accts tucked inside the will indicate it must have been a good send off: beavers and gloves £1; for cake 7s; cheese 6s; ale 6s; wine 2 4; bottle gin 3 6; Mr Clark for ham 8 3; owe John Banfield for one sack of barley; paid for butter 1 4; £3 0 8 Assumed to be total.9
NamesGaius Wines was also known as Charles (but way back then I didn't note where I found that.) As of 1827, Gaius was also known as Sains (a mistranscription on Susannah's baptism on the IGI.)11
All the other infoGaius Wines owned property left to his 4 dtrs "in common" in Dec 1869 Tibleys Close, Sth Petherton, SOM, ENG.9
External linksClick here to see Gaius's page on WikiTree, a (free) collaborative on-line tree.12
|Elizabeth Mathews (say 1795 - bet. 1820 - 1825)|
|Hannah Wines (cir. Jun 1799 - Sep 1873)|
|Last Edited||15 Jun 2019|
- Assorted surname lookups, International Genealogical Index (IGI), Bap. 14 Mar 1799 Gaius s/o Charles & Susanna WINES, Old Meeting, Sth Petherton, SOM.
- SOM WINES source records ex Taunton Record Office from Allen E, Baptisms marriages burials Taunton Record Office, Marr. 25 Aug 1818 Gaius WINES & Elizabeth MATHEWS, Sth Petherton, SOM.
- SOM WINES source records ex Taunton Record Office from Allen E, Baptisms marriages burials Taunton Record Office, rcvd Mar 1994.
- Independent Congregation, Sth Petherton Roundwell St, Church Book of the Old Nonconformist church at Sth Petherton, 1755+ Filed in sources folder & notebooks, extracted Sep 1994.
- DTH INDEX: St Caths:, via http://freebmd.rootsweb.com/cgi/search.pl searched Aug 2003.
- 1841 Census images, England & Wales, via Ancestry.com, Sth Petherton, Sth Petherton Hundred, SOM HO107/954/12 Reg Dist Yeovil Sub Dist Sth Petherton ED 4 Folio 10 Pg 12, hsehold of Gaius & Hannah WINES, extracted Apr 2006.
- 1851 Census images, England & Wales, via Ancestry.com, Sth Petherton, SOM ED 4e HO107/1929 Folio 382 Pg 18 Sched 15, hsehold of Gaius & Hannah WINES, extracted Jan 2006.
- 1861 Census images, England & Wales, via Ancestry.com, Sth Petherton, Dist of Yeovil, SOM Dist 1, RG9/1641 Page 15 Schedule #140, copy d/loaded Nov 2005.
- Will & Probate Gaius WINES, Sth Petherton 1869/1873 (10 Dec 1869) Ref DD/PLE BX 95 c/724 Probate reg no 1419W: transcribed Sep 1994.
- 1871 Census images, England & Wales, via Ancestry.com, Sth Petherton, Dist of Yeovil, SOM ED 3 RG10/2412 Folio 63 Page 23 Schedule 115, copy d/loaded Nov 2005.
- Assorted surname lookups, International Genealogical Index (IGI), Bap. 30 Dec 1827 Susannah d/o Sains & Hannah WINES, Mr Hardmans Chaepl or Round Well St Independent, Sth Petherton, SOM, extracted c 1993.
- WikiTree online at http://WikiTree.com/, Aug-13.
- SOM WINES source records ex Taunton Record Office from Allen E, Baptisms marriages burials Taunton Record Office, Bap. 23 Jul 1820 James & Job sons of Gaius WINES & Elizabeth MATHEWS, from Sth Petherton Baptisms, rcvd Jan 1994.
- Ancestry.com - Family Trees online at http://search.ancestry.com, Bap. 23 Jul 1820 James s/o Gaius & Elizabeth WINES, Sth Petherton, SOM, copy on Bamford Family tree of cellas1, d/loaded from http://trees.ancestry.com.au/tree/25584137/, Jun 2013.
E. & O. E. Some/most parish records are rather hard to read and names, places hard to interpret, particularly if you are unfamiliar with an area.